VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Well because obviously there may be more than five girls who are deserving to get in from a particular region but that artificial barrier keeps them out -that's what's wrong with it

Author:
Why can't they just have the top 20 contestants with the highest scores no matter what region they are from
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 15:05:59 11/30/19 Sat
In reply to: eloise 's message, "I dont understand the argument. Only one girl wins. If you are the best in the pageant, you are obviously one of the best from your region, whatever that is. You have a top 5 competition at the get-go. Just be the best right away. Iím not a mathematician so if there is any formula involved that shows how this is unfair then Iíll shut up but I have no problem with the regional breakdown. And I truly welcome the removal of the wildcard." on 14:57:45 11/30/19 Sat

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> [> Subject: I get that but I just think that if you are a clear contender, there is no way you will miss the top5 in regional, regardless of how the other favs who were left behind could beat the other regional winners. And I have to believe that there was something unlikable with the favs who were left behind. I do see how other regions could have a weaker top 5 on stage as a result but that doesnít bug me anymore bec they get weeded out right away and we are then left with the best 10 of all, with the most articulate platforms, to compete in swim and gown.

Author:
eloise
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:21:36 11/30/19 Sat

Last edited by author: Sun December 01, 2019 14:38:12   Edited 2 times.
[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

[> [> [> [> Subject: Because the pageant gives so little exposure to the rest of the contestants, making Top 15/20 is important because of the recognition, so when you have semi-finalists who are replacing more worthy delegates, then what was the point of having them there if they weren't viable contenders? This year, for example, the Asia/Pacific group is particularly strong and I could see 10 of them in the Top 15/20, many of whom represent countries that have never qualified, like Mongolia, Myanmar, and Bangladesh. I'm always reminded of Miss USA 1992, when they showed scores, and Shannon Marketic had the lowest score of all the semi-finalists, but went on to win. You never know who will pour it on and pull out a Top 5 finish, but when you put in regional qualifiers that just get weeded out after the first cut, then you're depriving a potential finalist/winner because they came from a highly competitive group.

Author:
Ciao500
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:27:48 12/01/19 Sun

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Message subject (required):

Name (Registered users only):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.