VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: The MUO decade in review

Author:
Doot
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 16:30:04 12/22/19 Sun

Yep, it's the end of another year and another DECADE!

What stands out for you the most from MUO pageants of the 2010s? For me...

Titleholders I loved: Katherine Haik (Teen 2015), Kaleigh Garris (Teen 2019), Erin Brady (USA, 2013), Nia Sanchez (USA 2014), Iris Mittenaere (Universe 2016), Catriona Gray (Universe 2018), Zozibini Tunzi (Universe 2019)

Some HIGH POINTS

- Angela Ponce (Spain) at Miss Universe 2018. Her moment to shine was so moving and historic.

- The demise of "sash factor" at Miss USA. Over the past decade, we saw first-time winners from Oklahoma, Nebraska, Nevada, Connecticut, and high placements for the Dakotas. (On the other hand, Miss Universe seems to be more predictable than ever. But they have been crowning deserving winners in my opinion.)

- Former titleholders on social media: one my favorite developments of the past decade is watching former titleholders do their predictions and recaps: Shandi and Susie, Dani Walker, Siera Bearchell, Nia Sanchez, and a few others.

And a few LOW POINTS

- The 2015 "error" at Miss Universe. I am still convinced this was a publicity stunt and very cruel one at that. The most shameful pageant moment of the decade for sure.

- Kaci Fennell (Jamaica) as 4th runner-up at Miss Universe 2014. That just didn't make sense based on how everything else went up till then. She really should have been in the final two.

- Rima Fakih's entire year (2010) as Miss USA.

- The rushed swimsuit and evening gown competitions of the past few years. WTF? It's the heart of the pageant, why rush through it?

- Steve Harvey. Now that his 5 year contract is done, maybe we can start the next decade with fresh blood.

What are your highs and lows from 2010 to 2019?

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: The highs were I really enjoyed miss Universe overall. It's still the most exciting event on TV. I have also enjoyed miss Universe using YouTube more. The lows Steve Harvey but he was good this year. The current miss Universe is horrific. And I agree the 2015 mistake was a lie. To this day we still have no answer why the crowning was at least 10 minutes before the top of the hour and they had enough time to recrown.

Author:
Test
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:35:13 12/22/19 Sun

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> Subject: Two things stood out this decade: the abundance of California state hoppers at Miss USA, and the abundance of delegates representing the Southeast Asian countries (ie. Philippines, Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia) at MU that are born outside Southeast Asia and have White fathers.

Author:
Anyone else notice these?
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:57:50 12/22/19 Sun

[> [> Subject: The most successful California state hoppers at Miss USA this decade were Nia Sanchez, Olivia Jordan, Nana Meriwether, Carolina Urrea, Brittany McGowan.

Author:
Three out of those five state hopped from California to Nevada.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:45:53 12/23/19 Mon

[> [> [> Subject: Whoa Nana is the most forgettable miss usa ever. I always forget she inherited from Olivia. Ironically, she wanted miss usa so badly then once she got it, she seemed bored out her mind.

Author:
Test
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:49:29 12/24/19 Tue

[> [> [> Subject: I think Lauren York also state hopped from CA to NV. Although she didn’t place, she made it to the national stage.

Author:
Samuel
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:04:24 12/27/19 Fri

[> [> [> Subject: I think Lauren York also state-hopped from CA to NV. Although she didn’t place, she made it to the national stage.

Author:
Samuel
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:04:53 12/27/19 Fri

[> [> [> [> Subject: Lauren York won Nevada USA 2017 after three attempts at California USA.

Author:
From 2014-2019, four out of 6 Nevada USA winners were California state hoppers.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:23:52 12/27/19 Fri

[> Subject: I really love the fact that sash counts for less in the USA and Teen USA divisions. This was a major issue up to last decade and of course continues to be at Miss Universe. Few people noticed that the jurisdiction that is by far the smallest, DC was leading the medal table this century with 3 golds and 1 silver. North Carolina took over this year with 3 golds, 1 silver and 1 bronze.

Author:
HawtPlusSeksi (nsi)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:37:11 12/22/19 Sun

[> Subject: On the Miss Universe front. I never thought I'd see a day where 5 non Latinas would win 5 contests in a raw. This was such a huge issue and it climaxed with the Latin fiesta in January 2015 when Paulina was crowned. At that point, there was rare unanimity in the forum and everyone just had enough of it. The fact that so many Southeast Asian countries went gaga over pageantry the Pinoy way, especially Thailand, Indonesia and Vietnam guarantees in a way that we will see less Latina winners. Yes, the issue of Asian girls with white fathers is a huge elephant in the room. This was discussed in the forum already a few years ago. Unfortunately the trend spilled over from the Philippjnes into other countries. This year, PH, TH and ID delegates had fathees of non Southeast Asian origin. All Filipina winners in MU and MW this decade had white and older fathers. This is the trend that I hope will go away and there is less colorism in these societies.

Author:
HawtPlusSeksi (nsi)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:50:09 12/22/19 Sun

[> [> Subject: MUO seems to reward these contestants with the highest placements, so not sure the trend will die soon.

Author:
They're just playing MUO's game.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:48:12 12/23/19 Mon

[> [> [> Subject: AFAIK, none of the Vietnam reps that made the cut @ MU this decade have been foreign born with White fathers. It's mostly Phillippines that loves to crown foreign born girls with White fathers and unfortunately that has spread to Thailand and Indonesia.

Author:
Basketball_Fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:59:24 12/23/19 Mon

Last edited by author: Mon December 23, 2019 13:09:34   Edited 1 time.

[> [> [> [> Subject: I think for Thailand and Indonesia is not so much about crowning girls with white fathers but about crowning girls who are fluent in English. That's the one edge the Philippines has always had over these other 2 countries and looks like they said "no more".

Author:
DB
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:19:26 12/24/19 Tue

[> Subject: You missed one first time state win @ Miss USA, Rhode Island. Miss Teen USA this decade had the first wins for Maryland and Connecticut. Miss Universe this decade had the first win for Angola.

Author:
Basketball_Fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:14:10 12/22/19 Sun

Last edited by author: Sun December 22, 2019 23:17:01   Edited 1 time.

[> Subject: LOWEST: MUO staff mopping the floor at the 2019 prelims livestream. HIGHEST: The beautiful stage design at Sao Paulo. Loved it's not all LED screen.

Author:
KiwiGuy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:39:17 12/22/19 Sun

[> Subject: Sadly this decade seven former MUO titleholders passed away: Leona Gage (dethroned Miss USA 1957) in 2010; Amparo Munoz (MU 1974) in 2011; Sylvia Hitchcock (Miss USA and MU 1967) and Luz Marina Zuluaga (MU 1958) in 2015; Charlotte Sheffield (inherited Miss USA 1957) in 2016; Linda Bement (Miss USA and MU 1960) and Chelsi Smith (Miss USA and MU 1995) in 2018.

Author:
Basketball_Fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:14:36 12/23/19 Mon

[> [> Subject: Still can't get over Chelsi Smith. Something about her is so mysterious. I had thought she had married and had twins? Beautiful woman and miss Universe did dedicate the telecast to her.

Author:
Test
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:35:58 12/23/19 Mon

[> [> [> Subject: I know, Chelsi was still so young. However, didn't she gain a lot of weight which probably led to her medical issues. I've seen that happen to so many pageant girls. They get lean and mean for competition, then when their competition days are over, they blow up like a balloon. But heavy or thin, she was an extremely beautiful woman. One of my favorite Miss Universe winners.

Author:
No Name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:48:26 12/23/19 Mon

[> [> [> [> Subject: She did but then I think she lost a lot of it and was too thin the last photos I saw of her. Agree such a beautiful winner... gone too soon.

Author:
RIP....
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:20:25 12/24/19 Tue

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Didn't she develop some sort of liver disease? That probably contributed to her weight loss. So sad.

Author:
No Name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:39:21 12/26/19 Thu

[> Subject: HiIGHS: (1) THOMAS ROBERTS!!! Yum!!! (2) The magnificent and opulent looking MU 2013 stage in Russia. (3) MU 2012 Leila Lopes — muito bonita! (4) And as much as it is very controversial, I say MU 2015 is a high too since it made a lot of noise for the org. It brought the pageant to everyone’s consciousness again. LOWS: (1) Steve Harvey (2) MU 2017s prelims at the mezzanine of a hotel. (3) MU 2019 at Tyler Studios. (4) Gabriela winning over Spain, Kaci Fenell not placing higher (4) Regional groupings!!!

Author:
Poll
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:23:28 12/23/19 Mon

[> [> Subject: Leila Lopes is MU 2011, not MU 2012.

Author:
Anon
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:08:30 12/24/19 Tue

[> [> [> Subject: Highlights for me were:. 1) the emergence of non sash states ( CT, ME, RI, ND) as contenders ; 2) agree on Thomas Roberts 3) the circular camera movement showing the top two 4) Erin Brady's green gown when she gave up her crown, Catriona's red competition gown;. Lowlights: 1). Steve Harvey 2) I'll say it again Steve Harvey 3) the hideous pageant in Moscow 4) unqualified judges 5) some mediocre winners 6) Miss Teen USA being pulled from TV

Author:
ah diversity.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:55:13 12/24/19 Tue

[> Subject: Something that I find interesting is how well nowadays are received pageants from 2011 and from 2013, Sao Paolo and Moscow respectively. People in general including I were quite disappointed after them and now, we seem to be much more indulgent. I noticed the same about Cyprus 2000. That pageant was so disappointing at the time but obviously the fact that 2001 was worse seems to level it out. I am just surprised that people now think this was an excellent pageant. Obviously it us better than most IMG's but still for a year 2000 a tiny hall in Nicosia. ;)

Author:
HawtPlusSeksi (nsi)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:57:25 12/25/19 Wed

[> Subject: Highs: The USA's placements in 2012 and 2014. Lows: My disinterest in pageants as to the point of not even watching them. And this is coming from someone who got excited over seeing the commercials on CBS. The only guarantee in life is change, but it doesn't have to be liked!

Author:
Old Fan/New Name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:47:18 12/26/19 Thu

[> Subject: Click in for my reply:

Author:
facts-therealone
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:45:12 12/26/19 Thu

High points for me:

1) The pageant going back to having a woman who are not only beautiful but can speak eloquently is back

2) Seeing Miss USA win Miss Universe in 2012,

3) Seeing Vietnam 2018, H'Hen Nie make history for her country in being the first woman from her country to be in the top 5 at MU, (I think she should have been even higher than that), a well deserved placement for a woman who is not only physically beautiful, but with such a big heart. Hope she started a trend and spark for Vietnam at MU, much like Madhu Sapre did for India in 1992

3) Speaking of which, to me the 2018 MU pageant was the best pageant in production in my opinion, I loved the long runway, the music, everything worked, great job Thailand,

4) Seeing new countries become apart of MU, Sierra Leone, Bangladesh, Cambodia, Laos and Iraq to name a few, hoping they continue to compete in the future

5) Seeing Leila Lopes win MU in 2011, becoming only the second Black African to ever win the MU title.

6) The suspense they do in announcing the results, it ups the anxiety and eagerness, at least for me

Low Points:

1) Steve Harvey, his schtick is getting old now, and his jokes are hit or miss, time for a new host or two

2) Seeing MU staff actually moping up the floor in the MIDDLE of the preliminaries, lol, I never saw that before, embarrasing.

3) The little time the winner gets to do her traditional walk of victory for the first time as the new MU, the winner should get her moment, cut some of the musical acts, but make that happen again MUO

4) Announcing the result of the winner and the 1st runner up, I never liked the new way they do it now. I rather they go back to saying the 1st runner up first and then the new winner.

5) Get rid of the top 20 statement to determine the top 10 finalists, I think that is unfair and biased to those who speak English well, like the 1st runner up Miss Phillipines said at MU 2012, it shouldnt matter how well someone speak English, MU is about connecting to people and that is not limited to one language (she said more and im paraphrasing a bit), but the gist of what she said I agree totally with, one can speak their native tounge and still be a great MU.

I think instead their should be a competition on the top 20 semifinalists, maybe a fashion model, catwalk session, to see who show the most stage presence, that is natural and unforced, and that combined with their overall look, determine the top 10, at least then its something that puts the delegates in a fairer playing field in my opinion.

Last edited by author: Fri December 27, 2019 09:21:23   Edited 1 time.

[> [> Subject: Interesting additions. Yes, the announcement "we're going to take a short break to mop the floor" was definitely an unprecedented low point, LOL.

Author:
Doot
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:00:57 12/26/19 Thu

Interesting additions. Yes, the announcement "we're going to take a short break to mop the floor" was definitely an unprecedented low point, LOL.

[> [> [> Subject: LOL, I have never seen that before at any MUO pageant, and I have been watching them live since 1979, when I was little. I couldnt believe what I was seeing.

Author:
facts-therealone
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:17:05 12/27/19 Fri

[> Subject: Awesome. You don’t like Culpo? Lol. I’m off her now but I still think she is one of the top five MUO wins in history, incl her USA win. Now, she just seems like an empty doll for rent. I digress. Other things: I like K Fennel but I ADORED Davina Bennet. I was, and still am, devoted to her. I was ok with Rima’s win bec I couldnt get on board with Morgan. What I really want to know is what it would take for fans to finally break up with MUO. The relationship is obv not working. MUO continually rattles the fan cage with “changes” yet also keeping them notoriously uninformed with even the most basic of things. And then the fans become whiny bitches and everybody fights. They are all free to go but they stay. I’m one of the weirdos that actually like what IMG is doing, esp the production concept —execution, not so much. I also like the new model for the winner. Luckily, I’m not interested in fighting about it so it’s easier for me let others’ anger and frustration not get to me.

Author:
eloise
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:39:06 12/26/19 Thu

[> [> Subject: I was not a fan of anyone in the Top 5 for Miss USA 2010, especially Morgan. So I was happy Rima won, but disappointed afterwards. You posed a good question about fans and MUO. I think the bottom line comes down to the fact that we have nowhere else to go. It's still, overall, the most important pageant around. I am actually fine with how IMG has changed Miss Universe, it's more at Miss USA where it feels like things have derailed a bit recently. Finally, I think a lot of the fighting on this board is not really about the pageant or the winner but about bigger issues of race and class that play out in a million ways on a daily basis (at least in the U.S.) In any case, it's ugly and exhausting.

Author:
Doot
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:53:20 12/26/19 Thu

I was not a fan of anyone in the Top 5 for Miss USA 2010, especially Morgan. So I was happy Rima won, but disappointed afterwards. You posed a good question about fans and MUO. I think the bottom line comes down to the fact that we have nowhere else to go. It's still, overall, the most important pageant around. I am actually fine with how IMG has changed Miss Universe, it's more at Miss USA where it feels like things have derailed a bit recently. Finally, I think a lot of the fighting on this board is not really about the pageant or the winner but about bigger issues of race and class that play out in a million ways on a daily basis (at least in the U.S.) In any case, it's exhausting.

[> [> [> Subject: The fights get weird but theyre easy enough to ignore. My fav from the USA2010 top five was Sam. I loved her in teen and in miss. You’re right, the IMG formula is not working for USA. USA judges pick the right winners to represent the USA everywhere else except in miss Universe.

Author:
eloise
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:14:30 12/26/19 Thu

Last edited by author: Thu December 26, 2019 23:20:57   Edited 2 times.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Sorry to say but I disagree. US Universe delegates are still competitive enough out of the IMG ones I am not a fan of Summers, other three are fine. US World delegates have not been strong since Audra Mari. How this year's delegate made top 40 at World is a bit of mistake. Also, the US has not placed at Miss International for three years. Obviously I have not seen these pageants, but I think stronger delegates were part of national competitions than the eventual winners.

Author:
HawtPlusSeksi (nsi)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03:52:08 12/27/19 Fri

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Sorry, “everywhere else” meant appearances, speaking engagements, etc. for MUO, not other pageants.

Author:
eloise
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:47:12 12/27/19 Fri

[> [> [> [> Subject: I would find it difficult as a judge to select a winner if it would come down to two girls: one who shined that night and one that would do well at Miss Universe.

Author:
Old Fan/New Name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:47:12 12/27/19 Fri

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Exactly. Thank you.

Author:
eloise
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:45:31 12/27/19 Fri

Last edited by author: Fri December 27, 2019 20:06:44   Edited 2 times.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: This gets to an issue I have been wondering about: should the goal of the Miss USA pageant be to crown someone who will do well at Miss Universe? Or is it about choosing the best Miss USA? The two may not be the same. I'm not really sure, but I lean toward just choosing a great Miss USA. For example, Sarah Summers seemed like a perfect choice as Miss USA the night she won, even though she did not necessarily have a ton of potential for Miss Universe (and that turned out to be the case). But I'm fine with that.

Author:
Doot
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:07:27 12/28/19 Sat

This gets to an issue I have been wondering about: should the goal of the Miss USA pageant be to crown someone who will do well at Miss Universe? Or is it about choosing the best Miss USA? The two may not be the same. I'm not really sure, but I lean toward just choosing a great Miss USA. For example, Sarah Summers seemed like a perfect choice as Miss USA the night she won, even though she did not necessarily have a ton of potential for Miss Universe (and that turned out to be the case). But I'm fine with that.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Forgive me but this is why I won’t shut up about Culpo. IMO, she was the last one who had both the spark and the face to win Universe.

Author:
eloise
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:41:13 12/28/19 Sat

Last edited by author: Sat December 28, 2019 15:47:58   Edited 3 times.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: And she wasn’t IMG. Go figure.

Author:
eloise
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:44:14 12/28/19 Sat

Last edited by author: Sat December 28, 2019 15:49:09   Edited 4 times.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: At Miss USA 1993, during the Final 6 judge's question, the commentator said pageant veterans thought Kelly Hu's exotic good looks would have her do well at Miss Universe. We know what happened there. IMO, of the three semi-finalist leaders that year, GA, HA and, PA, none of them would have handled the crowd in Mexico as well as Kenya.

Author:
Old Fan/New Name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:54:46 12/28/19 Sat

[> Subject: Warning Posters : STOP the personal attacks and negative comments. We will not tolerate this language on the board. We had to delete SEVERAL messages on this thread that were using very vulgar and profane language.

Author:
USBModSquad
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:03:51 12/26/19 Thu

[> [> Subject: I hate to say it, but maybe we need to go back to registered handles only?

Author:
Doot
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:54:44 12/27/19 Fri

I hate to say it, but maybe we need to go back to registered handles only?

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Message subject (required):

Name (Registered users only):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.