VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: I was not a fan of anyone in the Top 5 for Miss USA 2010, especially Morgan. So I was happy Rima won, but disappointed afterwards. You posed a good question about fans and MUO. I think the bottom line comes down to the fact that we have nowhere else to go. It's still, overall, the most important pageant around. I am actually fine with how IMG has changed Miss Universe, it's more at Miss USA where it feels like things have derailed a bit recently. Finally, I think a lot of the fighting on this board is not really about the pageant or the winner but about bigger issues of race and class that play out in a million ways on a daily basis (at least in the U.S.) In any case, it's ugly and exhausting.

Author:
Doot
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 20:53:20 12/26/19 Thu
In reply to: eloise 's message, "Awesome. You don’t like Culpo? Lol. I’m off her now but I still think she is one of the top five MUO wins in history, incl her USA win. Now, she just seems like an empty doll for rent. I digress. Other things: I like K Fennel but I ADORED Davina Bennet. I was, and still am, devoted to her. I was ok with Rima’s win bec I couldnt get on board with Morgan. What I really want to know is what it would take for fans to finally break up with MUO. The relationship is obv not working. MUO continually rattles the fan cage with “changes” yet also keeping them notoriously uninformed with even the most basic of things. And then the fans become whiny bitches and everybody fights. They are all free to go but they stay. I’m one of the weirdos that actually like what IMG is doing, esp the production concept —execution, not so much. I also like the new model for the winner. Luckily, I’m not interested in fighting about it so it’s easier for me let others’ anger and frustration not get to me." on 19:39:06 12/26/19 Thu

I was not a fan of anyone in the Top 5 for Miss USA 2010, especially Morgan. So I was happy Rima won, but disappointed afterwards. You posed a good question about fans and MUO. I think the bottom line comes down to the fact that we have nowhere else to go. It's still, overall, the most important pageant around. I am actually fine with how IMG has changed Miss Universe, it's more at Miss USA where it feels like things have derailed a bit recently. Finally, I think a lot of the fighting on this board is not really about the pageant or the winner but about bigger issues of race and class that play out in a million ways on a daily basis (at least in the U.S.) In any case, it's exhausting.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> [> Subject: The fights get weird but theyre easy enough to ignore. My fav from the USA2010 top five was Sam. I loved her in teen and in miss. You’re right, the IMG formula is not working for USA. USA judges pick the right winners to represent the USA everywhere else except in miss Universe.

Author:
eloise
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:14:30 12/26/19 Thu

Last edited by author: Thu December 26, 2019 23:20:57   Edited 2 times.
[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

[> [> [> [> Subject: Sorry to say but I disagree. US Universe delegates are still competitive enough out of the IMG ones I am not a fan of Summers, other three are fine. US World delegates have not been strong since Audra Mari. How this year's delegate made top 40 at World is a bit of mistake. Also, the US has not placed at Miss International for three years. Obviously I have not seen these pageants, but I think stronger delegates were part of national competitions than the eventual winners.

Author:
HawtPlusSeksi (nsi)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03:52:08 12/27/19 Fri

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Sorry, “everywhere else” meant appearances, speaking engagements, etc. for MUO, not other pageants.

Author:
eloise
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:47:12 12/27/19 Fri

[> [> [> [> Subject: I would find it difficult as a judge to select a winner if it would come down to two girls: one who shined that night and one that would do well at Miss Universe.

Author:
Old Fan/New Name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:47:12 12/27/19 Fri

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Exactly. Thank you.

Author:
eloise
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:45:31 12/27/19 Fri

Last edited by author: Fri December 27, 2019 20:06:44   Edited 2 times.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: This gets to an issue I have been wondering about: should the goal of the Miss USA pageant be to crown someone who will do well at Miss Universe? Or is it about choosing the best Miss USA? The two may not be the same. I'm not really sure, but I lean toward just choosing a great Miss USA. For example, Sarah Summers seemed like a perfect choice as Miss USA the night she won, even though she did not necessarily have a ton of potential for Miss Universe (and that turned out to be the case). But I'm fine with that.

Author:
Doot
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:07:27 12/28/19 Sat

This gets to an issue I have been wondering about: should the goal of the Miss USA pageant be to crown someone who will do well at Miss Universe? Or is it about choosing the best Miss USA? The two may not be the same. I'm not really sure, but I lean toward just choosing a great Miss USA. For example, Sarah Summers seemed like a perfect choice as Miss USA the night she won, even though she did not necessarily have a ton of potential for Miss Universe (and that turned out to be the case). But I'm fine with that.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Forgive me but this is why I won’t shut up about Culpo. IMO, she was the last one who had both the spark and the face to win Universe.

Author:
eloise
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:41:13 12/28/19 Sat

Last edited by author: Sat December 28, 2019 15:47:58   Edited 3 times.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: And she wasn’t IMG. Go figure.

Author:
eloise
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:44:14 12/28/19 Sat

Last edited by author: Sat December 28, 2019 15:49:09   Edited 4 times.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: At Miss USA 1993, during the Final 6 judge's question, the commentator said pageant veterans thought Kelly Hu's exotic good looks would have her do well at Miss Universe. We know what happened there. IMO, of the three semi-finalist leaders that year, GA, HA and, PA, none of them would have handled the crowd in Mexico as well as Kenya.

Author:
Old Fan/New Name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:54:46 12/28/19 Sat

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Message subject (required):

Name (Registered users only):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.