VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Rachel Slawson of Utah will become the first openly LGBTQ2 contestant at Miss USA.

Author:
HawtPlusSeksi (nsi)
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 00:15:43 01/20/20 Mon

An experienced director like La Moak can be an advantage in this situation.

Here is what Rachel wrote on instagram:

Being Queer is not a “platform.” The reason I waited so long to come out as a member of the LGBT+ community was that I didn’t think who I choose to love should define who I am.
Life is short. And I have more questions than answers, but one thing I’m sure of is that we came here to love.
And if the people I’ve loved means I am “queer” or “bi” or whatever they call it, then I am proud of that. Because I am never going to walk away from an opportunity to love when it’s rare light shines through in a world that is quick to judge and forget.
I may be LGBTQ, but that’s just one detail on the list of things that make me Rachel.
I hope by sharing this with you, you can believe that it’s okay to accept every way you love in this world. Your love is a gift here, and so are you.The world might not understand, but they don’t need to. Because I am my own why. 

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Wow, good for her. And I am sort of loving that she is representing Utah. In a way I'm surprised it took this long for our first openly gay contestant at Miss USA. On the other hand, the pageant is clearly more open than ever to diversity of all types. Although I am not necessarily a fan of the direction MUO/IMG has gone in the past few years, this is one aspect of the change that is great.

Author:
Doot
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:33:46 01/20/20 Mon

Wow, good for her. And I am sort of loving that she is representing Utah. In a way I'm surprised it took this long for our first openly gay contestant at Miss USA. On the other hand, the pageant is clearly more open than ever to diversity of all types. Although I am not necessarily a fan of the direction MUO/IMG has gone in the past few years, this is one aspect of the change that is great.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> Subject: Early prediction: she won’t make the cut at nationals, but she’ll get media coverage and possibly even a little highlight like they did to Spain.

Author:
IMO
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:26:44 01/20/20 Mon

[> [> Subject: In terms of outer beauty, she is much more attractive than Spain 2018 and La Moak's directorship could be an advantage, so the situation does not go overboard. Though it could turn out as Myanmar 2019, though in her case she was impeded by regional franchises that pay much, much more: Thailand, Indonesia, India, Vietnam and Philippines.

Author:
HawtPlusSeksi (nsi)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:43:18 01/20/20 Mon

[> [> [> Subject: I love how always on the ball you are with your posts. I've enjoyed observing from afar for years.

Author:
Julia
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:59:47 01/22/20 Wed

[> [> [> [> Subject: Thanks a lot Julia. Do not be shy to chime in. We need new regular, interesting posters on here to recover some of the past glory. :)

Author:
HawtPlusSeksi
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:34:08 01/22/20 Wed

[> Subject: While I'm not a huge fan of "stories" rather than strictly beauty, I can attest this woman has both a story and beauty. I'm excited to see the attention she will bring to Miss USA, regardless of the pageant results. Who would have thought the first openly LGBTQ candidate at Miss USA would be representing Utah?!

Author:
Tiki-Java
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:20:36 01/22/20 Wed

[> [> Subject: Utah is one of the states that I never visited. I have a hint that there are significant pockets of liberalism though, in parts of Greater Salt Lake City and ski areas like Park City I remember this was also surprisingly the first state with a transgender candidate for Senator.

Author:
HawtPlusSeksi (nsi)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:51:58 01/22/20 Wed

[> [> [> Subject: Utah has beenknown to have a large gay population, for a state its size.

Author:
pageantpearl
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:09:41 01/23/20 Thu

[> Subject: You might not like this, but Utah legislators just passed a bill that outlaws conversion therapy for minors.

Author:
PikachusWorld
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:24:20 01/23/20 Thu

https://politicalwire.com/2020/01/22/utah-bans-conversion-therapy/

[> Subject: I have zero doubt she will make the Top 15.

Author:
ICEMAN
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:58:45 01/23/20 Thu

[> [> Subject: I don’t know about that...

Author:
That’s me, of course
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:06:02 01/23/20 Thu

[> Subject: I wonder if Deidre Downs would have been selected Miss America had she been out?

Author:
Old Fan/New Name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:43:41 01/23/20 Thu

[> [> Subject: Thanks for your responses. However, I was asking if anyone thinks Deidre would have been selected had she been out...or Kate Shindle for that matter...

Author:
Old Fan/New Name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:36:49 01/24/20 Fri

[> [> [> Subject: Absolutely not. Miss America grassroot level is a pretty conservative milieu to start with and when Deidre won, we were in the middle of the George W. years. The understanding of the LGBTQ issues was significantly weaker by general population. Deidre would have never won Bama had she been out, nor the overwhelming majority of other state titles.

Author:
HawtPlusSeksi (nsi)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:31:26 01/24/20 Fri

[> Subject: She will be in top 15.. They almost have to put her there now. I'm looking at this as a business. Is she a liability? Can she handle the stress of USA then Universe?

Author:
I'm sure MUO has to think about that. I'm glad she is healthy but this is just my opinion.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:12:49 01/24/20 Fri

[> [> Subject: She said she’s bipolar, so I doubt she could handle much stress and I don’t think she’ll go far nationally; however, I applaud her for not giving up. Never making top 5 years in a row, then just coming up and winning... very good!!

Author:
:)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:59:54 01/24/20 Fri

[> [> Subject: I sincerely doubt it. MUO will nto touch this with a 10 foot pole as they say. If the first ever transgender didnt make the cut, this bisexual, bipolar, suicide attempting contestant will not

Author:
was too much drama.... keep it in Utah
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:23:55 01/28/20 Tue

[> Subject: My perspective is that this is only a phase. Given the changes in miss Universe to he socially aware, I guarantee 2 years from now she will marry a man. This is only a ploy to get her social media and possibly top 15.

Author:
Test
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:40:34 01/28/20 Tue

[> [> Subject: If it’s a ploy it truly is an insult to the women like Wisconsin who are fighting for mental health awareness seriously and have real stories. A mother who truly is bipolar and is dying from it . And a brother who almost successfully took his life two days before she won her state( I know this is from meeting her and interviewing her) . She was even honored by her state representatives this month for her work and advocacy . So I hope this is real for Utah or that’s just a lot of storytelling for no reason.

Author:
Charmingone(nsi)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:21:25 01/29/20 Wed

[> [> [> Subject: I dont think bipolar disorder is a competition to see who has endured more. Your comments could be taken as offensive to those who may not reach your lofty standards of being bipolar and having tragic experiences associated with it.

Author:
ICEMAN
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:58:16 01/29/20 Wed

[> [> [> [> Subject: I never said that it was . If you read through I said I hope this is real for her in response to the others who have said it is a phase, story, and ploy. If it is not real - it is in fact an insult . And from looking at social media she has said that she has not been diagnosed and goes back and forth between suffering from many different things (which does mark instability from a health and employer standpoint)so a lot of this is up for debate.....

Author:
Charmingone
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:45:37 01/29/20 Wed

[> [> [> [> Subject: I know you have zero doubt she will advance but if outside perspective can see certain things being questionable so can the judges . She should hold tight to her sexuality being something unique to her . Dabbling with mental health from many different angles is very risky especially if you dont have a diagnosis and are self diagnosing.

Author:
IJS
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:49:51 01/29/20 Wed

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Message subject (required):

Name (Registered users only):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.