VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: When Miss USA should have placed higher

Author:
Doot
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 20:34:53 01/29/20 Wed

What are some times when you think Miss USA should have placed higher than her actual placement at Miss Universe?

For me, two come to mind...

1970: Debbie Shelton was 1st runner-up but should have won.

1996: Ali Landry made the Top 6, but should have at least made the Top 3.

Your thoughts?

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Most times USA should have placed lower. If beauty pageants were organized and directed by an international sports federation like other sports including these where judging is subjective, American beauties would not have won that many titles. I think these who should have placed higher since I started watching in 1996 are Shauntay, Rima, Erin and Cheslie. I think Shauntay and Rima were among 10 best delegates their year and I'd place Erin and Cheslie around 4th place overall. I did not watch 1970 but Debbie is easily better than the winner.

Author:
HawtPlusSeksi (nsi)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:43:17 01/29/20 Wed

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> Subject: important to comment Cheslie Kryst, Sarah Rose Summers, KŠra McCullough, Deshauna Barber should not have made the cut.

Author:
onasis (not cut)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:22:37 01/29/20 Wed

[> [> Subject: Cheslie, yes. Sarah, no. Kara, not a fan but yes. Deshauna, debatable.

Author:
Anthony Masters Muse
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:36:19 01/29/20 Wed

[> [> Subject: This is the best response ever! Agreed, miss usa should not have made the cut the last 4 years. Deshauna has no business winning usa in the first place. Sarah needed much better training but she was horrible the entire time at miss Universe. Don't get me started on the current miss usa. She is horrid and her Universe performance was an embaressmet.

Author:
Test
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:38:40 01/29/20 Wed

[> [> [> Subject: Not saying that all of them were totally undeserving bc I grew to like them except one, but I think the last 4 1st runner ups should have won USA.

Author:
Pixie
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:26:56 01/29/20 Wed

[> [> [> [> Subject: Ultimately, I think the last few reps deserved to make the first cut...

Author:
And thatís it!
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:21:50 01/30/20 Thu

[> [> [> [> Subject: The last four Miss USA are pretty girls but not to have won the contest, simply in each of the last four years there were better options, besides Miss USA has always been characterized by sending dazzling women to Miss Universe and the last four are not They are women with a beautiful life story but nothing more

Author:
Paco (MISS MISS)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:09:01 01/30/20 Thu

[> Subject: 1996 was tough. I think Ali won prelims or was very high. She excelled until top 6. Her response was about her family which wasn't strong. Shauntay is debatable, not a single black girl made the top 10 in 2002 and it was a ton of black beauties that year. It didn't help that she looked like she was competing at ms fitness. Rima should have placed especially given miss Universe picks but I have heard they purposefully cut her out.

Author:
Test
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:42:25 01/29/20 Wed

[> Subject: This is really hard for me, bc unlike some I feel USA was almost always deserving of their placements... Im not a big fan of her now but Rima should have made the first cut, I think Crystle should have made the top 5 despite her fall, I think Ali Landry definitely could have made it to the 3 but I can see why not, & to me Courtney Gibbs should have made the top 5/3 (but it seemed they were Asia-biased regardless). And actually, I feel a few of the 1st RUs should have really won, esp. Shelton.

Author:
Pixie
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:24:29 01/30/20 Thu

[> [> Subject: Crystle placement remains questionable. She was clearly on fire but many of the top 15 were equally strong. I do agree she should have made top 5. While I liked Rachel Smith, she looked pasty finals night. Without the fall, I think Crystal would have been a runner up. Venezuela was going to win regardless.

Author:
Test
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:36:26 01/30/20 Thu

[> Subject: Not one USA placement screamed unfair to me (2002 onwards). In fact, the only time I sort of sighed was Rachel Smithís inclusion in the top 5. Yes, about the fall for sure, but really mostly about the Oprah thing. She would not shut up about it since USA and I could already hear her final answer once she was called into the top 5. Predictability is not too shocking in pageants but too much of it should be a crime. BUT, I am happy she was awarded a top placement considering the trauma she endured throughout the pageant, and the trauma she was to endure after.

Author:
eloise
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:50:27 01/30/20 Thu

Last edited by author: Fri January 31, 2020 00:01:39   Edited 2 times.

[> Subject: Absolutely Courtney Gibbs...for me one of the most beautiful Miss U.S.A.s of all time. How she was shut out of the top five is a mystery to me.

Author:
Tiki-Java
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:40:02 01/31/20 Fri

Last edited by author: Fri January 31, 2020 00:40:45   Edited 1 time.

[> [> Subject: Yes!!! But like I said, it was the year of Asia!

Author:
xxx
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:58:26 01/31/20 Fri

[> [> Subject: Courtney is stunning, however, the problem I had with her, along with the four other Guy-Rex titleholders is that they never changed their winning USA formula when competing at Miss Universe. We have all heard the adage ďDonít change something that isnít broken,Ē but I think when competing at Miss Universe, a national titleholder has to up her game. Everything about Courtney remained the same, including hair, evening gown, national costume. Itís as if Courtney walked off the El Paso stage and onto the Taipei stage in the same evening.

Author:
MLB
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:12:25 02/13/20 Thu

[> [> Subject: Tiki, I'm surprised you don't know that Courtney's year was when MUO allowed Asian delegates to advance to top five -- those countries were threatening to pull out after years of non-placements. That said, I agree Courtney is stunning. Her aloofness seemed to melt the next year when she crowned Gretchen. She sort of broke out of her shell.

Author:
nsi
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:23:21 02/16/20 Sun

[> Subject: Julie Hayek.

Author:
Balty R.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:38:40 01/31/20 Fri

[> Subject: I remember hearing that Ali Landry was instructed to give a weak response during Miss Universe so she she wouldnít advance to the Top 3. I canít remember the reasoning, except that Trump wanted her to remain Miss USA.

Author:
Groove
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:03:04 01/31/20 Fri

Last edited by author: Fri January 31, 2020 12:05:14   Edited 1 time.

[> Subject: Ali Landry is an interesting case because it was an era where the final question was less important than today. As long as you said something coherent it was just more of a chance for judges to see you again. So although Ali's answer wasn't great by today's standards, I think it was pretty typical for the era.

Author:
Doot
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:03:14 01/31/20 Fri

Ali Landry is an interesting case because it was an era where the final question was less important than today. As long as you said something coherent it was just more of a chance for judges to see you again. So although Ali's answer wasn't great by today's standards, I think it was pretty typical for the era.

[> Subject: Itís difficult to believe after 50 years people are still stuck on Debbie Sheltonís placement at MU. I always felt it was correct and when reviewing the 1970 MU video, it is quite obvious to me Marisol had more energy that July evening than Debbie. I've learned over the decades of pageants I've witnessed to accept the judge's final decision or spend forever in resentment land. Time to move on!

Author:
Old Fan/New Name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:52:38 01/31/20 Fri

[> [> Subject: I totally disagree. It's not about "resentment," it's about being a fan. This is what we do. You know, sports fans still talk about the 1927 World Series. People are out there right now reenacting the Civil War. If it's time to move on, then there's nothing to talk about here.

Author:
Doot
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:57:37 01/31/20 Fri

I totally disagree. It's not about "resentment," it's about being a fan. This is what we do. You know, sports fans still talk about the 1927 World Series. People are out there right now reenacting the Civil War. If it's time to move on, then there's nothing to talk about here.

[> [> [> Subject: I love pageants, but comparing a beauty pageant to the Civil War or its reenactment is a bit much IMO. I love talking and commenting as much as anyone about past pageants. But as Iíve seen you post prior, Doot, weíre all allowed our opinions as long as weíre not slandering anyone personally. Letís remember, itís ONLY a beauty pageantÖor at least they used to be.

Author:
John O.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:21:55 01/31/20 Fri

[> [> [> [> Subject: Excellent, we are in complete agreement. After all, I am the one advocating for a discussion and an exchange of opinions (rather than "moving on").

Author:
Doot
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:11:24 01/31/20 Fri

Excellent, we are in complete agreement. After all, I am the one advocating for a discussion and an exchange of opinions (rather than "moving on").

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Actually, we are not in an agreement. I support Old Fan/New Name in their opinion to call it as they see it. Old Fan/New Name, IMO, was not calling out the original poster, but voicing their opinion. I donít agree on calling someone out because someone doesnít share the same opinion. If that poster wants to move on, let them.

Author:
John O.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:19:52 01/31/20 Fri

[> Subject: On a different slant of this question, the one Miss USA who lost the title was Judi Anderson. Leading after the SF, her answer was weak for such a strong question while Margaret Gardner's answer was hit out of the park.

Author:
Old Fan/New Name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:39:38 02/01/20 Sat

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Message subject (required):

Name (Registered users only):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.