VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: So we are getting 2020 pageants?

Author:
CC
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 12:04:22 04/24/20 Fri

Is it true that Miss USA and Miss Teen USA will take place around Labor Day weekend in an unconfirmed location. Hopefully, Covid 19 will no longer be an issue but I doubt it will be back to normal in September.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: I don't think we will be seeing pageants or even any plans for pageants until folks have figured out what to do about other, bigger types of events. For example, the entire Major League Baseball season is in limbo (which must be costing billions of dollars). When and if they figure how/when to have some sort of season, then we might see things like pageants coming back. My guess is that any sort of gathering won't be happening at all in 2020. I hope I'm wrong, but it does not look promising.

Author:
Doot
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:45:39 04/24/20 Fri

I don't think we will be seeing pageants or even any plans for pageants until folks have figured out what to do about other, bigger types of events. For example, the entire Major League Baseball season is in limbo (which must be costing billions of dollars). When and if they figure how/when to have some sort of season, then we might see things like pageants coming back. My guess is that any sort of gathering won't be happening at all in 2020. I hope I'm wrong, but it does not look promising.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> Subject: Are you kidding me? lmao

Author:
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:09:22 04/24/20 Fri

[> Subject: It won't happen but Paula needs to make a decision fast. She only has 2 options. Virtual pageant which would be a disaster. Or put all 2020 winners in a holding pin until 2021 and postpone the pageant. I think it should be the latter.

Author:
Original Rican
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:46:28 04/24/20 Fri

[> [> Subject: Disagree, I feel like depending on how they go about it a virtual thing would be interesting to see! And it’d only be for this year! I do agree with a decision needs to be made soon and people need to know.

Author:
Pixie
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:28:43 04/24/20 Fri

[> [> [> Subject: Virtual would never work!! Directors would not spring all that money for have their contestants parade in evening gown on ZOOM. That could not even be an option.

Author:
billy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:09:30 05/04/20 Mon

[> [> Subject: No. I completely disagree. Why stipulating virtual pageant would be a disaster. If by November it becomes clear Miss USA cannot take place, virtual pageant in December would be the way to go, and one on January for Miss Universe. It would a complete disaster not to have 2020 mentioned in history books. 2021 USA delegates can be appointed or chosen in virtual castings very easily as can be delegates for this and the next MU that follows. Obviously I still hope for a live Miss USA pageant in the late fall. Why not scale it down and organize it in a small city like Branson as example, where venues could be easily available..

Author:
HawtPlusSeksi (nsi)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:51:07 05/04/20 Mon

[> [> [> Subject: It can't be in Branson because the venue is too cramped and if you restrict to 50% capacity to honor social distancing, even some parents probably won't be able to attend. Also disagree that it would be a disaster if 2020 isn't mentioned in history books. Miss America lost several years during WW II and it's just fine. The history books just say the pageant was suspended due to these events

Author:
A pageant is no reason to spread the virus
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:35:00 05/06/20 Wed

[> [> [> Subject: The Eurovision song contest and the Olympics are not getting their 2020 editions and it was not a disaster. And these events are 10000x more important!!

Author:
G.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:51:16 05/06/20 Wed

[> Subject: I think Miss USA could take place in December and MU 2020 in January. If not, virtual pageants USA and Universe are a solution for December. As for the 2021 pageant season, simply cut the state entrance fees by 50% and appoint the best applicant through an independent jury to represent a state at Miss USA 2021. That could take place in February-March 2021. Easy solution and state directors will survive financially.

Author:
HawtPlusSeksi (nsi)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:13:17 04/24/20 Fri

[> Subject: Dr Michael Osterholm was on the PBS news hour, he said the USA is in some pretty rough days ahead. It's not going to be easy to control the coronavirus death toll of the virus could be 800,00 in the USA.

Author:
WilliamNYC
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:01:43 04/25/20 Sat

[> Subject: A good point of comparison is 911. Miss America was taking place, state pageants were taking place and Miss USA was only a few months off . Everything was about proud Americans and supportive. This on the other hand, is worldwide. I'm not sure if any major event taking place is a good look.

Author:
Original Rican
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:00:37 04/25/20 Sat

[> Subject: Well the girls already sent in their paperwork and home town videos.

Author:
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:31:11 04/25/20 Sat

[> Subject: Covod19 is an invisible killer and waiting until the medical professionals sustain this virus I will not attend any arena events. 2021 is an eventf

Author:
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:46:33 04/26/20 Sun

[> Subject: No way. Miss USA, maybe. Universe, there's no way. Every country is at a different phase of the virus. Borders closed. Airlines grounded. No sponsors. Governments cannot help. If they want to have the pageant with 12 contestants, then they can do it. Not to mention of a lot of contestants that would think twice before traveling. And all those Covid-19 free certificates that we dont know if they will work.

Author:
billy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:07:33 05/04/20 Mon

[> Subject: It makes no sense to have a 2020 Miss USA/Universe pageant if all they going to do is remain in Lockdown like Zozibini Tunzi. Plus Zozibini needs to extend her reign for more travel.

Author:
WilliamNYC
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:37:04 05/05/20 Tue

[> Subject: Not only are our lives changed, so as the pageant world. It’s truly unfortunate. I would definitely take public safety over the pageant, even though that means waiting a year to see any MUO pageant... my options for them to consider would be virtual (but that is not as entertaining for sure). Second option if holding the event in USA is not possible is RELOCATION. Remember when Miss USA was held in Puerto Rico? MUO can look into holding the pageant in other regions other than USA. Of course it will not be easy and depends on the local region’s jurisdiction but it is an option to look into.

Author:
Samuel
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:07:57 05/05/20 Tue

[> Subject: I think USA needs to be pushed to OCT-Dec and then Universe Jan-Feb. I think august is a pipedream. BUT you never know

Author:
They can hold MIss USA with the girls and family. Screen everyone.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:35:30 05/05/20 Tue

[> Subject: The new Miss Philippines org just announced moving the national pageant to October. Fortunately, all contestants are still illegible age-wise even if MU 2020 will be held next year.

Author:
Alyssa’s Pinoy Fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:51:32 05/05/20 Tue

The new Miss Philippines org just announced moving the national pageant to October. Fortunately, all contestants are still illegible age-wise even if MU 2020 will be held next year.

[> [> Subject: *eligible. LOL

Author:
Alyssa’s Pinoy Fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:53:37 05/05/20 Tue

[> Subject: Only way to hold miss USA is if everyone self quarantines two weeks prior and no audience just online pageant and everyone continues to quarantine during the pageant and all the contestants have to drive to location. Otherwise a pageant is not likely this year or early part of next. The big tell is whether or not sporting events will continue this year and with spectators

Author:
South star
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:34:26 05/05/20 Tue

[> Subject: Miss USA should be held later in the year. By that time there will be a state and city or cities that have lifted the ban on groups of 50 or more. Have the pageant with parents only in the audience. Or get a venue where you can safely space out. If televised it would still look the same. Screening the girls , MUO, Television crew and parents would really not be that hard. Audience wearing masks. If you don’t want to attend then DON’T. Universe is more complicated as same counties have shut down until 2021.

Author:
There will be a Miss USA...just putting it out there!
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:36:31 05/06/20 Wed

[> [> Subject: It's not just about state bans and it isn't just about you. It's easy to say if you don't want to come then don't, but these girls are perfect vectors to bring the virus back to their communities and to those of us who won't be attending. Having an in-person pageant this year is selfish, plain and simple

Author:
Fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:47:45 05/06/20 Wed

[> [> [> Subject: Life goes on and if the girls choose to do it and they have the ok and blessing from their familes...etc then its not for you to judge. I'm sure they will all do the right thing

Author:
Selfess is you thinking that everyone has to think like you.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:50:52 05/06/20 Wed

[> [> [> [> Subject: This is the way of thinking that has 1 million 250K infected in the USA. Life CANNOT just go on in the middle of a pandemic. Prioritizing a beauty pageant over health is the stupidest thing ever. Not to mention that beauty contests are at the bottom of the barrel right now!! We are just not talking contestants. 51 girls in a hotel? What about employees, staff.. hairstylists, make up, production, designers, assistants. Ok, so the MUO managed to have Miss Universe in Atlanta in 4 days, but still.. For this year it is a risk and I dont think any state would allow that to happen. And yes, it is okay for us to judge. A virus is not a game that can be put aside while some fans have their high heel fantasy.

Author:
G.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:48:51 05/06/20 Wed

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Im going to hope that Bill Gates releases this vaccine he's been working on since 2006

Author:
NUTS
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:16:11 05/07/20 Thu

[> Subject: Miss America 2021 has been postponed until the end of 2021. So things don't look promising for the MUO for 2020 pageants.

Author:
Gail
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:42:37 05/08/20 Fri

[> [> Subject: Good news. Pageants have been mere shells of what they used to be .

Author:
Bye bye pageants
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:34:54 05/08/20 Fri

[> [> [> Subject: It's true, but they may not be dead yet. Miss America, yes, is probably finished, and I say "good riddance" -- they were never any fun. But I do think there is an audience for a true pageant in the old sense. Sure, pageants may be outdated and may not be "relevant," but then what is so relevant about baking cook-offs or motocross racing? I think pageants just need to embrace their crazy niche in order to survive. We'll see if that ever happens!

Author:
Doot
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:48:30 05/09/20 Sat

It's true, but they may not be dead yet. Miss America, yes, is probably finished, and I say "good riddance" -- they were never any fun. But I do think there is an audience for a true pageant in the old sense. Sure, pageants may be outdated and may not be "relevant," but then what is so relevant about baking cook-offs or motocross racing? I think pageants just need to embrace their crazy niche in order to survive. We'll see if that ever happens!

[> [> [> [> Subject: Honestly, I believe Miss USA will disappear before Miss America does, even in 2020 non-pageant people keep mixing them up. Baking cook-offs and motocross racing were never ashamed of their nature, unlike pageants! Problem is, we are in an age were objectification of women is no longer seen as entertainment, much less as a virtue! There are fans out there but I am afraid not enough to satisfy sponsors and big TV stations. Pageants need to evolve if they want to stay afloat, you cannot just pull the "18-26 single, never given birth blah blah" model, that is very 50s, very "old white rich dude looking for hot wife" advert. In an age where empowering is everything, telling a woman she cannot be a beauty queen because she has a baby or is divorced, is horribly offensive.

Author:
G.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:09:18 05/09/20 Sat

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: If trump was still in charge, knowing him, miss usa and miss Universe would have evolved under the me too movement. Granted he played a negative part but he at least knew how to do a show. Fox, that fat co-host, Steve Harvey, lu Sierra, Paula all need to be fired.

Author:
Original Rican
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:11:57 05/09/20 Sat

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: This is a really good point. The whole idea that a young woman needs to be single, never married, never given birth, etc., is indeed completely outdated and incompatible with empowering women (not to mention common sense, LOL). And there may not be enough fans of the traditional pageant world to garner a big enough TV audience. And yet... I still feel that if they were somehow honest and just embraced the beauty aspect they might somehow find a way. I don't know... it doesn't look promising in any case.

Author:
Doot
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:10:15 05/09/20 Sat

This is a really good point. The whole idea that a young woman needs to be single, never married, never given birth, etc., is indeed completely outdated and incompatible with empowering women (not to mention common sense, LOL). And there may not be enough fans of the traditional pageant world to garner a big enough TV audience. And yet... I still feel that if they were somehow honest and just embraced the beauty aspect they might somehow find a way. I don't know... it doesn't look promising in any case.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Probably true in the US. But for most countries, getting pregnant at 17 and divorced at 25 is not normal. Beauty queens are seen as role models and there’d be a backlash if an 18-yr old mom or a 25yr old divorcee gets to compete to become a “role model for young girls”.

Author:
Alyssa’s Pinoy Fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03:30:53 05/10/20 Sun

Probably true in the US. But for most countries, getting pregnant at 17 and divorced at 25 is not normal. Beauty queens are seen as role models and there’d be a backlash if an 18-yr old mom or a 25yr old divorcee gets to compete to become a “role model for young girls”.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: What if she were an 18-year-old mom *and* a scientist?? ;-)

Author:
Doot
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:47:24 05/10/20 Sun

What if she were an 18-year-old mom *and* a scientist?? ;-)

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: See, this is where pageants have it all wrong. Whats the deal with having a baby at 18 or getting divorced at 25? We dont know the dynamics behind those life stories. Yes, beauty queens are role models in like say, India or the Philippines. Most countries don't really care about them though. And I think the backlash is not letting women from all backgrounds compete. I find a really huge contradiction that pageants would let transgender women compete but not a woman who has been divorced or widowed or even married. It is the biggest oxymoron ever. And you know... the former Victoria's Secret Angels (now that VS is broke) who were even bigger role models than pageant queens, are all mothers, married, that didn't interfere with their job. I think thats the point here. The criteria for eligibility is obsolete.

Author:
G.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:37:59 05/10/20 Sun

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: As what I’ve said, your thinking is not shared by the majority of the world. Parents don’t want their daughters looking up to another girl who got pregnant at a very young age. There’s a place for those girls if they really have inspiring or success stories. They can do speeches like TED talks. If they can’t speak, they can join reality TV’s where networks could exploit their stories. Pageant girls are seen in most countries as conservative and with “good moral characters”. And being pregnant before marriage more so as a teen definitely doesn’t fit that criteria. These are no big deal in the US, but not in most countries.

Author:
Alyssa’s Pinoy Fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:11:02 05/10/20 Sun

As what I’ve said, your thinking is not shared by the majority of the world. Parents don’t want their daughters looking up to another girl who got pregnant at a very young age. There’s a place for those girls if they really have inspiring or success stories. They can do speeches like TED talks. If they can’t speak, they can join reality TV’s where networks could exploit their stories. Pageant girls are seen in most countries as conservative and with “good moral characters”. And being pregnant before marriage more so as a teen definitely doesn’t fit that criteria. These are no big deal in the US, but not in most countries.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: This is an important and interesting debate to have. For example, these days, why must a pageant titleholder be single? I mean, even the most conservative people would probably agree that a woman can be married at, say, 24 and be a perfectly good "role model." I don't pretend to have any of the answers, but these kinds of issues are one reason why the way forward is going to be so tricky for pageants.

Author:
Doot
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:24:50 05/10/20 Sun

This is an important and interesting debate to have. For example, these days, why must a pageant titleholder be single? I mean, even the most conservative people would probably agree that a woman can be married at, say, 24 and be a perfectly good "role model." I don't pretend to have any of the answers, but these kinds of issues are one reason why the way forward is going to be so tricky for pageants.

[> Subject: From the way things are now, I'm expecting Miss USA around September/October and Miss Universe around December/January. I also think the events will be totally stripped down to just prelims and final night, not too many activities and appearances.

Author:
Basketball_Fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:43:07 05/10/20 Sun

[> Subject: Article today on troubled Endeavor, with a reference to MUO. I suspect we will see another hastily thrown together pageant towards the end of the year if anything. As someone noted, the girls arrive Sunday and leave by the next Sunday probably. After that, it's only a matter of time before MUO gets dumped for good.

Author:
Fortunately I've found new hobbies. Great memories though!!!
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:38:12 05/12/20 Tue

[> [> Subject: https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2020-05-11/

Author:
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:41:05 05/12/20 Tue

[> Subject: It’s unfortunate the situation has turned into what it is today. If Miss USA was held in February (like in the old days), we at least would’ve crowned a Miss USA winner. By the looks of things, they should postpone the pageant to Aug. or Sept. if events like this are permissible. If not, do a closed door pageant (again if rules aren’t permissible). If not, they should consider holding the pageant in another region where it’s safer (outside the USA and again permissible). There may not be a live audience and family members but just the ladies and crew. But, it’s better imo than skipping the pageant and/or holding it virtual. Ladies will have to wear masks throughout the days leading up to the pageant.

Author:
Samuel
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:17:21 05/16/20 Sat

[> Subject: Some cities, like Boston, have cancelled permits for all big parades and festivals through Labor Day so MUO would need a host city that is not cancelling permits for events AND isn't running too large a budget shortfall (I don't see this likely) to be the host location for Miss USA.

Author:
Anon
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:06:27 05/18/20 Mon

[> [> Subject: Do it in TEXAS

Author:
they are open
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:15:07 05/26/20 Tue

[> Subject: People say pageants are not relevant. So if they're not, why do so many women compete? There must be some relevancy. Miss USA/Miss Universe should take stock in that they're a beauty pageant and excel their best in that aspect. Hey, how many of us would watch the pageant if they went back to the format of the 70's and 80's?

Author:
Old Fan/New Name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:20:12 05/21/20 Thu

[> [> Subject: The old format would never work either, times have changed and longtime fans are outside the market reach for potential sponsors. A lot of people forget that money is needed to organize and produce these pageants, and every time it is getting harder and harder. I dont think pageants are relevant either, they are just mere entertainment and yes, there will always be a niche for them, as long as there are enough insecure girls in the planet who need a crown and fans telling them that they are pretty. Just like hot dog eating contests, or monster truck events, or dog shows. They are harmless, they are entertaining. But pageants need to recognize what they are, a T&A show with a question made to crash and burn these girls, and some fake charity thrown in to make it relevant.

Author:
G.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02:42:12 05/26/20 Tue

[> [> [> Subject: These women are not insecure. And while I agree some do come up with a fake charity. There are a handful that have been working for their cause for years. And to some of these girls its more than a crown. Its tradition and pride. Al bigger platform for their REAL charity.

Author:
Why are you even on this board if you hate pageants? Perhaps you are the one who is insecure.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:27:05 05/27/20 Wed

[> [> [> [> Subject: I think that even fake charities can be beneficial to an extent. Even if it is for a few days, a contestant volunteers anyways and the image of her volunteering is shown in the media, either social media or on TV, etc. And it DOES encourage people watching to volunteer. I do not know how many days or weeks did Olivia Jordan volunteer at "Children of the Night" in Tulsa, and by no means I am saying it was a fake charity... But she was living mostly in California and if, let's say she volunteered only a few days in there, it is still beneficial for them and she mentioned this organization. I checked it in depth, some people likely donated there hearing from her what they do.

Author:
HawtPlusSeksi (nsi)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:54:04 05/28/20 Thu

[> Subject: October.....November

Author:
Its going down!
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:42:17 05/28/20 Thu

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Message subject (required):

Name (Registered users only):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.