VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: This is a really good point. The whole idea that a young woman needs to be single, never married, never given birth, etc., is indeed completely outdated and incompatible with empowering women (not to mention common sense, LOL). And there may not be enough fans of the traditional pageant world to garner a big enough TV audience. And yet... I still feel that if they were somehow honest and just embraced the beauty aspect they might somehow find a way. I don't know... it doesn't look promising in any case.

Author:
Doot
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 22:10:15 05/09/20 Sat
In reply to: G. 's message, "Honestly, I believe Miss USA will disappear before Miss America does, even in 2020 non-pageant people keep mixing them up. Baking cook-offs and motocross racing were never ashamed of their nature, unlike pageants! Problem is, we are in an age were objectification of women is no longer seen as entertainment, much less as a virtue! There are fans out there but I am afraid not enough to satisfy sponsors and big TV stations. Pageants need to evolve if they want to stay afloat, you cannot just pull the "18-26 single, never given birth blah blah" model, that is very 50s, very "old white rich dude looking for hot wife" advert. In an age where empowering is everything, telling a woman she cannot be a beauty queen because she has a baby or is divorced, is horribly offensive." on 20:09:18 05/09/20 Sat

This is a really good point. The whole idea that a young woman needs to be single, never married, never given birth, etc., is indeed completely outdated and incompatible with empowering women (not to mention common sense, LOL). And there may not be enough fans of the traditional pageant world to garner a big enough TV audience. And yet... I still feel that if they were somehow honest and just embraced the beauty aspect they might somehow find a way. I don't know... it doesn't look promising in any case.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Probably true in the US. But for most countries, getting pregnant at 17 and divorced at 25 is not normal. Beauty queens are seen as role models and there’d be a backlash if an 18-yr old mom or a 25yr old divorcee gets to compete to become a “role model for young girls”.

Author:
Alyssa’s Pinoy Fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03:30:53 05/10/20 Sun

Probably true in the US. But for most countries, getting pregnant at 17 and divorced at 25 is not normal. Beauty queens are seen as role models and there’d be a backlash if an 18-yr old mom or a 25yr old divorcee gets to compete to become a “role model for young girls”.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: What if she were an 18-year-old mom *and* a scientist?? ;-)

Author:
Doot
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:47:24 05/10/20 Sun

What if she were an 18-year-old mom *and* a scientist?? ;-)

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: See, this is where pageants have it all wrong. Whats the deal with having a baby at 18 or getting divorced at 25? We dont know the dynamics behind those life stories. Yes, beauty queens are role models in like say, India or the Philippines. Most countries don't really care about them though. And I think the backlash is not letting women from all backgrounds compete. I find a really huge contradiction that pageants would let transgender women compete but not a woman who has been divorced or widowed or even married. It is the biggest oxymoron ever. And you know... the former Victoria's Secret Angels (now that VS is broke) who were even bigger role models than pageant queens, are all mothers, married, that didn't interfere with their job. I think thats the point here. The criteria for eligibility is obsolete.

Author:
G.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:37:59 05/10/20 Sun

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: As what I’ve said, your thinking is not shared by the majority of the world. Parents don’t want their daughters looking up to another girl who got pregnant at a very young age. There’s a place for those girls if they really have inspiring or success stories. They can do speeches like TED talks. If they can’t speak, they can join reality TV’s where networks could exploit their stories. Pageant girls are seen in most countries as conservative and with “good moral characters”. And being pregnant before marriage more so as a teen definitely doesn’t fit that criteria. These are no big deal in the US, but not in most countries.

Author:
Alyssa’s Pinoy Fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:11:02 05/10/20 Sun

As what I’ve said, your thinking is not shared by the majority of the world. Parents don’t want their daughters looking up to another girl who got pregnant at a very young age. There’s a place for those girls if they really have inspiring or success stories. They can do speeches like TED talks. If they can’t speak, they can join reality TV’s where networks could exploit their stories. Pageant girls are seen in most countries as conservative and with “good moral characters”. And being pregnant before marriage more so as a teen definitely doesn’t fit that criteria. These are no big deal in the US, but not in most countries.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: This is an important and interesting debate to have. For example, these days, why must a pageant titleholder be single? I mean, even the most conservative people would probably agree that a woman can be married at, say, 24 and be a perfectly good "role model." I don't pretend to have any of the answers, but these kinds of issues are one reason why the way forward is going to be so tricky for pageants.

Author:
Doot
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:24:50 05/10/20 Sun

This is an important and interesting debate to have. For example, these days, why must a pageant titleholder be single? I mean, even the most conservative people would probably agree that a woman can be married at, say, 24 and be a perfectly good "role model." I don't pretend to have any of the answers, but these kinds of issues are one reason why the way forward is going to be so tricky for pageants.

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Message subject (required):

Name (Registered users only):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.