VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: When did pageants begin for you?

Author:
Doot
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 21:02:26 05/14/20 Thu

What year was it, and/or how old were you?

The reason I ask is because pageants began for me in 1970 (when I was 8) and I just stumbled on the Miss USA pageant where Debbie Shelton was crowned.

I know the MUO pageants pretty well after that point because I watched most of them. The ones before 1970 are "ancient history" and I feel like I don't have any opinions on those titleholders because they are in the "pre-history" era.

Wondering if it is the same for others. When did it start for you? And do you have that same sense of a "before" and "after" era?

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: The first full pageant I saw was Miss World 1989, I was 9 y.o. Check it out y'all it was an excellent entertainment,today's MW does not compare. I saw around 20 to 30 min. recaps of MW 87, 88 and MU 88 and 89 on TV before but never full pageants. First MU in full was actually 1995, what a coincidence! I actually haven't seen it in full since them and first Miss USA in full was in 1996. I was really hooked at MW89 and saw evert MW until 1994 after... so I saw three magic years in Sun City.

Author:
HawtPlusSeksi (nsi)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:13:47 05/14/20 Thu

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> Subject: I remember the exact day. May 9, 1992. I was in 4th grade and we had a social studies test that I failed. I got in trouble. My mother put me on punishment in my room. Keep in mind this was 1992 so it was only so much you could do. I scanned a tv guide and saw live, beauty women, miss universe. Needless to say, the rest is pageant history. I have been addicted ever since. My mother hated my love of pageants, she took all my tapes and threw them in the garbage. I went out and got them and dared her to touch them again which she didn't. Lol

Author:
Original Rican
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:45:49 05/14/20 Thu

[> Subject: Miss Universe 2002. I was 14. Flipping through programs to watch and voila.

Author:
eloise
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:28:31 05/15/20 Fri

[> [> Subject: More importantly, I discovered USB in 2006. Or 2005. One of the two. But it was important lol.

Author:
eloise
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:35:04 05/15/20 Fri

[> Subject: 1987 Miss Universe Pageant was when it started for me at the age of 10. My mom had recorded it on a VHS and I would try to watch it whenever no one was around. I've been a follower ever since. I remember being wowed by Colombia and Uruguay that year and to this day still thought they were robbed of a semifinal spot that year

Author:
Cali_Dude
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:49:54 05/15/20 Fri

[> Subject: Hi Doot - the first pageant I can ever recall was Miss America 1974. I happened to be in the room during the crowning while my parents were watching. They were both horrified when Rebecca King was named the winner. The first Miss USA pageant I watched was 1976 (Barbara Peterson), followed by my first Miss Universe pageant that same year. Little did I know what an aberration Barbara's non-placement was!

Author:
BamaMan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:58:37 05/15/20 Fri

[> [> Subject: BamaMan- I was at a well attended pageant party at my teacher's house believe it or not the night that Rebecca King won. Everybody thought when the six finalists were standing there that Miss Texas would win. I wouldn't say the people were horrified that Colorado won but it certainly was a surprise. However I have to tell you that as the years have gone by and I've seen the pageant on YouTube, I don't necessarily think Rebecca King was all that bad of a choice. She kind of grew on me. My first Miss USA was 1966 when California won. I loved the first runner-up that year, and I remember so did Pat Boone the co-host of the pageant.

Author:
Lol
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:41:10 05/15/20 Fri

[> [> [> Subject: LOL - my Dad cussed at the TV when Rebecca won, and I just remember my saying, "Whaaaat??!!! Oh MY God." I know she approved of the next few winners. I distinctly remember he commenting on how beautiful Tawny Godin was when she won.

Author:
BamaMan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:42:17 05/15/20 Fri

[> [> [> Subject: Well, being from Colorado, I was so happy that night Miss Colorado - Rebecca King won Miss America! I remember shouting SHE WON! It was a happy night for us in beautiful Colorado. I watched that pageant not too long ago and I think Rebecca really is pretty, even though I didn't think she was before. I know she came off as cold and aloof, but I think she had a good and professional presentation the night she won. She came to my town as Miss America to crown our local queen and I wanted to go to the pageant but I knew my parents wouldn't take me. I found out the day after the pageant the neighbor kids went to the pageant and didn't ask me to go with them. I remember telling them I wish I could go to the pageant and they never said they were going. So, I was upset they went and didn't ask me to go with them. They had two souvenir programs on their table and I took one and still have it. They could have asked me to go with them, after all, Miss America was coming to town!

Author:
nostalgic
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:49:02 05/15/20 Fri

[> [> Subject: It's funny, one of my early pageant memories is Miss America 1974. I was watching with my mother and she was appalled that Colorado won because she reminded my mother of one of the other mothers in the neighborhood who was notoriously "stuck up." I don't remember anything else about the pageant (need to find it on YouTube) other than my mother's disgust at the outcome, LOL.

Author:
Doot
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:41:20 05/15/20 Fri

It's funny, one of my early pageant memories is Miss America 1974. I was watching with my mother and she was appalled that Colorado won because she reminded my mother of one of the other mothers in the neighborhood who was notoriously "stuck up." I don't remember anything else about the pageant (need to find it on YouTube) other than my mother's disgust at the outcome, LOL.

[> [> [> Subject: LOL - maybe we lived in the same neighborhood!!!

Author:
BamaMan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:42:51 05/15/20 Fri

[> [> [> Subject: Ok out of curiosity I watched the 1974 Miss America pageant for the first time. I thought NewJersey or Texas should win followed by Louisiana and Pennsylvania. I got neither the winner or 1rst runner up. Weird judging. That said, I think the talents were far better then than they are now.

Author:
inoshishi
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:29:08 05/16/20 Sat

[> [> [> [> Subject: I had no idea it was on YouTube. I just watched the crowning and would have chosen Miss Texas in a landslide.

Author:
BamaMan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:01:17 05/16/20 Sat

[> [> Subject: Miss America 1974 saw PA place in the Top 5 for the fourth year in a row. I was ok with Ms. King and I really liked Miss Texas' violin talent. Interesting, a recent Miss Texas used that same talent and placed 2RU.

Author:
Old Fan/New Name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:59:38 05/15/20 Fri

[> Subject: Miss Universe 1974 for me. Can't really remember much of the pageant, but I distinctly recall the gorgeous Maureen Vieira of ARUBA

Author:
anni55
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:59:46 05/15/20 Fri

[> [> Subject: I consider the MU 1974 Top 5 to be one of the most beautiful final 5 in MU history.

Author:
Old Fan/New Name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:01:16 05/15/20 Fri

[> Subject: Living in NJ 1969-70, I saw advertisements for Little Miss America on television. Upon returning to the south, I saw Miss Universe 1970 -- followed by Miss America 1971 and Miss USA 1971. My state MAO pageant was also televised.

Author:
nsi
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:09:00 05/15/20 Fri

[> Subject: I remember watching Debra Bryant and Jane Jayroe crowned Miss America, but I really got into pageants when Sylvia Hitchcock won Miss Universe. From there until the about 10-15 years ago I was heavily invested, but I lost interest as pageants did not have the glamour and spark as previous years.

Author:
Old Fan/New Name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:54:23 05/15/20 Fri

[> [> Subject: I was hooked until about 2013. Every pageant especially miss Universe I religiously scored and had years and years worth of data. When Nia Sanchez won (I liked her) it seemed the pageant world changed. It became very cliquish which at the time was led by current and or former members of this board. Many of the long term fans including myself got banned in favor of the clique and those who followed after them. Many of those people are on the Facebook page.

Author:
Original Rican
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:06:49 05/18/20 Mon

[> [> Subject: And even today, there is a new breed of fans on YouTube who have no idea what they are talking about in pageants earlier than 2015. Pageants are just no longer fun.

Author:
Original Rican
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:08:24 05/18/20 Mon

[> Subject: My earliest memory was watching Miss Universe 1986 back when I was 8 years old. I remember Miss USA was in the top 5 and I asked my mom if she won. She told me she almost did. Throughout the late 80s I continued to watch whenever I would stumble upon them on TV. The first pageant I remember seeing from start to finish was Miss Universe 1989. After that I was officially hooked.

Author:
PF-Indy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:57:46 05/16/20 Sat

[> Subject: 1982 Miss USA and it was beginners luck as my home state Miss Arkansas, Terri Utley won the crown. I have been hooked since

Author:
Inoshishi
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:25:44 05/16/20 Sat

[> Subject: I caught Miss Universe 1978 on TV while trolling channels. I came in while Miss Japan was in swimsuit. Miss USA 1979 was my first full knowledge of a pageant ever. In between USA and Universe, I saw the 1979 Mrs. America pageant at 10:00 on a Saturday night by happenstance. A commerical came on for Miss Young International 1980 out of nowhere while TV gazing one afternoon and I watched it. And, I remember tuning into the Miss All American Girl pageant (1980/1981) where the contestants rolled out in roller skates on stage. Then, America's Junior Miss caught my attention while sitting with my younger bros during the June summer months. Later, Miss Dream Girl USA came into play, and if I remember correctly, Mai Shanley won the half-hour weekly beauty contest via votes. Mai gets a bad rap here, but I love her. Biased, she is from my homestate.

Author:
HIM
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:23:34 05/16/20 Sat

Last edited by author: Sat May 16, 2020 21:40:01   Edited 3 times.

[> Subject: Miss Universe 1984. Had seen bits an pieces of prior pageants but watched this one for ever.

Author:
chexmex
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:48:57 05/17/20 Sun

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Message subject (required):

Name (Registered users only):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.