VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Dominican Republic @ MU

Author:
Basketball_Fan
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 17:28:06 05/21/20 Thu

If there is one country that benefited the most @ MU during the Trump/NBC/Telemundo years (2003-2014), it's Dominican Republic.

Prior to 2003, Dominican Republic made the cut three times:
Blanca Aurora Sardinas (Top 12 @ MU 1977 and host country delegate)
Patricia Jimenez (Top 10 @ MU 1988)
Candida Lara (Top 10 @ MU 1995)

From 2003-2014, Dominican Republic made the cut five times and four out of five earned medals:
Amelia Vega (MU 2003)
Renata Sone (2nd RU @ MU 2005)
Marianne Cruz (2nd RU @ MU 2008)
Ada Aimee de la Cruz (1st RU @ MU 2009)
Yaritza Reyes (Top 10 @ MU 2013)

I feel Dominican Republic's medal total was inflated. 2005 and 2008 finished way too high. As far as their win goes, I would've crowned Patricia Jimenez and not Amelia Vega.

How does this board view Dominican Republic's medal run? Were they deserved or was it the Telemundo factor?

Last edited by author: Thu May 21, 2020 17:28:40   Edited 1 time.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: You know, it took me a few years, and a few times watching the pageant to appreciate Amelia’s win. I was such a huge fan of Mariangel and Miyako that I refused to acknowledge that Amelia was the one who truly sparkled that night (imo obv). She had a glimmer that I felt no one else had. The only other one I would have given the crown to was Ada, provided that Stefania did not make the final five. But, if that had actually happened, I would have been doubly pissed bec I had Stef in my final two. I am not tooting my horn about being a fan of Stefania and thought she could win because I also had Iceland in my top two and we all know how she looked on final night.

Author:
eloise
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:05:54 05/21/20 Thu

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> Subject: Amelia Vega is one of those winners who would not have been my choice, but I totally see why she won. (Zuyleika Rivera is another example. Not my personal cup of tea, but she did everything necessary to win that particular pageant.) The one contestant from DR who I really loved was Ada de la Cruz in 2009. My final two that year came down to her and Chloe Mortaud of France. Stefania was a good and legit winner, but I preferred Ada and Chloe. The remaining DR reps didn't do much for me.

Author:
Doot
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:59:00 05/21/20 Thu

Amelia Vega is one of those winners who would not have been my choice, but I totally see why she won. (Zuyleika Rivera is another example. Not my personal cup of tea, but she did everything necessary to win that particular pageant.) The one contestant from DR who I really loved was Ada de la Cruz in 2009. My final two that year came down to her and Chloe Mortaud of France. Stefania was a good and legit winner, but I preferred Ada and Chloe. The remaining DR reps didn't do much for me.

[> Subject: DR's a hit or miss for me. I loved some of their reps, especially Patricia Jimenez (1988), Ada Aimee de la Cruz (2009), Yaritza Reyes (2013), and Clarissa Molina (2015). I even loved some of their clappers, like Selinee Mendez (1998). No love for me for some, including Candida Lara (1995), Marianne Cruz (2008), and Clauvid Daly (2019). I wasn't too keen on Amelia Vega (2003) as well, but like what others said, I can't begrudge her win (I think she earned it in the end). Finally, we can't leave this topic without discussing Ruth Ocumarez (2002). I didn't think she would actually win (as how overhyped she was at the time), but I was SHOCKED that she ended up as a clapper. Too bad we no longer saw prelim scores by 2002, it will be one of pageantry's great mysteries to find out how she actually placed in prelims.

Author:
anni55
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:12:20 05/22/20 Fri

[> [> Subject: I don't think her or Colombia placed 11 to 15. I know USA was in the 15. Off topic but I heard Kimberly Presseler was in the lower 20s in 1999. She looked a hot mess at miss Universe.

Author:
Original Rican
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:18:05 05/26/20 Tue

[> Subject: I think Amelia is like Catriona. Some hated them because they knew they will win but still hoping someone else will, and they actually ended up winning. It was like their pageants were held for them and they were just doing their thing the entire time while waiting to get crowned. In the end, we all could agree they both deserved it. Imee “Goodevening Bahamas!” Cruz had to settle for a runner up after that.

Author:
Alyssa’s Pinoy Fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02:01:16 05/22/20 Fri

I think Amelia is like Catriona. Some hated them because they knew they will win but still hoping someone else will, and they actually ended up winning. It was like their pageants were held for them and they were just doing their thing the entire time while waiting to get crowned. In the end, we all could agree they both deserved it. Imee “Goodevening Bahamas!” Cruz had to settle for a runner up after that.

[> [> Subject: Though it's worth sating that Amelia wasn't the main favorite to win. Ghislaine Ferreira of Brazil was the most hyped and the main fav. Susie was out there, but that was before she showed up in THAT gown. Brazil had likely something to do with Global Beauties being very popular then. Amelia was more of a top 5/top 10 fav... more like a potential 2nd or 3rd runner-up.

Author:
HawtPlusSeksi (nsi)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:01:18 05/23/20 Sat

[> [> [> Subject: I must have missed the hype on Brazil as I don’t even remember her. The only girls who had a real shot other than Amelia is Cindy Nell and Serbia. But everyone knew it’s gonna be Amelia all along. She’s up there since she was crowned Miss DR that year.

Author:
Alyssa’s Pinoy Fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:51:38 05/23/20 Sat

I must have missed the hype on Brazil as I don’t even remember her. The only girls who had a real shot other than Amelia is Cindy Nell and Serbia. But everyone knew it’s gonna be Amelia all along. She’s up there since she was crowned Miss DR that year.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Oh, I completely disagree. Here on the voy at the gery least and on globalbeauties.

Author:
HawtPlusSeksi (nsi)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:36:22 05/23/20 Sat

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Brazil was definitely way up there. Agree with you that she was a huge favorite although it was a really diffused year and GB even started pulling hard for Italy at one point. A lot of people had Gislaine in their top 2-3 from day one of the competition even through prelims (whereas USA and Spain crashed hard on the lists that night). Amelia always had the height edge and the assertive personality but Gislaine's prelim performance was decent. I wasn't surprised she got cut before the top 10, though; my theory was her insane headshot with those piercing eyes lodged itself in everyone's cranium haha because in person she was stunning but a lot smaller and less imposing than that picture.

Author:
Jeff
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04:36:16 05/25/20 Mon

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Indeed. I remember also that she also did not have a very toned body. Of course it was good enough, but not among the best... and at that time, I feel like it mattered more than in later MU competitions... as example many of the recent MU winners under IMG had much less or a toned body than the winners from the 00s. I think Ghislaine's favoritism had something to do with groupthink created by Global Beauties and people fell for it. Because in comparison to other favs, she was less impressive from a neutral point of view.

Author:
HawtPlusSeksi (nsi)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:29:03 05/26/20 Tue

[> [> [> Subject: Hmmm... I do seem to remember Amelia as being the favorite to win that year. But this raised a more general question for me about favorites who ended up winning, which I posted in a new thread.

Author:
Doot
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:07:24 05/23/20 Sat

Hmmm... I do seem to remember Amelia as being the favorite to win that year. But this raised a more general question for me about favorites who ended up winning, which I posted in a new thread.

[> [> [> [> Subject: You're right, Amelia was definitely the favorite (I was there) but that was a year when prelims really scrambled the predictions. She took a lot of fire for the blue gown and for the attitude and there was definitely a feeling in the room she could might miss the semifinals entirely if she didn't turn it around. Needless to say, both she and Mariangel did. That was a crazy amazing year with the diversity of favorites. Brazil and SA from day one, then Spain crashing out and Japan dropping every jaw with her gown, and even dark horses like Turkey and Greece.

Author:
Jeff
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:07:10 05/24/20 Sun

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: What was Japan preliminary gown? Her finals night gown was superb one of the best ever.

Author:
Original Rican
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:14:16 05/24/20 Sun

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: It was the same two piece final gown (believe the skirt was Celine) but without the wrap that she wore in the final so it was even more dramatic. It caused such a controversy that Ines had her wear that wrap over it on the final night and then switch to the black gown for Q&A (which she later said she regretted). Definition of power move. People also forget that Miyako was the most "runway" since Greece 2001 and the only one who could have pulled that off. Japan was nowhere on the lists and suddenly soared; I think the GB stock market (they did a daily tally of favorites) had her shooting into the top 5 out of nowhere. Amelia's gown on the other hand was a disaster (this weird blue crap) and Mariangel, while the same gown as finals night, had extremely bad styling on the accessories and hair (exact same story as Stefania Fernandez).

Author:
Jeff
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04:28:04 05/25/20 Mon

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Interesting about Japan that year. Although she was beautiful, she was indeed very "runway" and that was why I sort of discounted her. Miss Universe has always been about something a little different, even in the Trump years. The typical runway look with the icy stare doesn't have the "relatable" element that most MUO titleholders have. So that's why Japan always seemed like a bit of a fluke that year.

Author:
Doot
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:02:22 05/25/20 Mon

Interesting about Japan that year. Although she was beautiful, she was indeed very "runway" and that was why I sort of discounted her. Miss Universe has always been about something a little different, even in the Trump years. The typical runway look with the icy stare doesn't have the "relatable" element that most MUO titleholders have. So that's why Japan always seemed like a bit of a fluke that year.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: She definitely didn’t look like a winner but we all loved the drama she created for MU. She was the kind of different that we welcomed but not necessarily wanted to win. Someones should start a thread for Japan and Ines Ligron.

Author:
Alyssa’s Pinoy Fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:50:50 05/25/20 Mon

She definitely didn’t look like a winner but we all loved the drama she created for MU. She was the kind of different that we welcomed but not necessarily wanted to win. Someones should start a thread for Japan and Ines Ligron.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Wow that’s interesting Jeff! I had a feeling Japan wasn’t noticed until preliminaries that year. You mentioned that GB had a list of stocks, did they call their leaderboard - GB stock market?

Author:
Samuel
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:10:38 05/25/20 Mon

[> Subject: For some reason, I am generally more indulgent with Dominican Rep. than Puerto Rico or Mexico. On average, I think they sent many worthy delegates. I would not have crowned Amelia but her win is legit and it's difficult to dispute it. The same cannot be said about the 2005 and 2008 delegates, but they seem nice and congenial. I absolutely loved Yaritza, she was too young at MU but should have won Miss World her year. I feel the same about Clauvid. I liked her participation at MU and would have easily advanced her to top 10 among that top 20... but she just was too young. Dominican Rep. is a country that I visited and had a good time in there, maybe that is why I am a little positively biased towards their girls... or maybe they are just more solid on average comparing to PR and MX. I also liked and remember well some of their clappers.

Author:
HawtPlusSeksi (nsi)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:52:38 05/23/20 Sat

[> Subject: Hate to say it but none of the winners are really intriguing. Don’t really find them to be stunning. If I had to pick, I think Amelia won rightfully that night. Unfortunately her poor attitude is still one of the most memorable things about her. Ada should’ve won in 2009 as well and I had her in the top 2. I had her as the winner after France got eliminated. The other ladies are not really memorable to me.

Author:
Samuel
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:11:52 05/23/20 Sat

[> [> Subject: Amelia's attitude was really something and some of the anecdotes were so outrageous as to border on hilarious. I will say that she completely 180'd after she won and had a stellar reign. Other winners speak extremely highly of her (she's known for being very punctual and professional). Mariangel was the sympathetic contestant that night but I'm glad Amelia pulled it off.

Author:
Jeff
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:03:34 05/25/20 Mon

[> [> [> Subject: Yes hope she changed her attitude since then. I know she received a lot of hate for her attitude.

Author:
Samuel
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:12:01 05/25/20 Mon

[> [> [> [> Subject: Amelia today is a completely different person, dedicated to her church and serving God. Her marriage and her devotion turned her life in a different direction. Let's remember she won her national pageant only at 17!!! But she was smart and knew how to turn the competition on. Today she is very mature and pleasant to talk with.

Author:
G.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02:31:19 05/26/20 Tue

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: That's true. Amelia was younger than Miss. Teen USA 2003

Author:
Karrie Postdenim
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:16:47 05/27/20 Wed

Just saying

[> Subject: Going back to 1990, Miss Dominican Republic showed up onstage in a costume involving a pot on her shoulders. Loved it when the Top Ten were announced, while in their national costumes still, there she is in the front holding onto that pot on her shoulders. I thought she was a pretty contestant that year.

Author:
HIM
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:20:42 05/23/20 Sat

[> [> Subject: Aw yes Ioved it when she first stood with the pot on her shoulder and then realized that she needed to hold the thing so she can clap. Rosario Rodriguez ended up winning another pageant called Miss Hispanidad later that year

Author:
Cali_Dude
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:33:11 05/27/20 Wed

[> Subject: I actually really liked Renata Sone and Clarissa Molina the most; I was satisfied with Renata's placement, but honestly thought Clarissa was Top 5 and even Top 3 material.

Author:
Val Ewing (NSI)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:02:00 05/26/20 Tue

[> [> Subject: Pia, in a recent IG live with a fan, also said she was surprised Clarissa did not make Top 5. She said she’s very pretty, sweet and well spoken.

Author:
Alyssa’s Pinoy Fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:59:41 05/29/20 Fri

Pia, in a recent IG live with a fan, also said she was surprised Clarissa did not make Top 5. She said she’s very pretty, sweet and well spoken.

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Message subject (required):

Name (Registered users only):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.