VoyForums

Login ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: I think Amelia is like Catriona. Some hated them because they knew they will win but still hoping someone else will, and they actually ended up winning. It was like their pageants were held for them and they were just doing their thing the entire time while waiting to get crowned. In the end, we all could agree they both deserved it. Imee “Goodevening Bahamas!” Cruz had to settle for a runner up after that.

Author:
Alyssa’s Pinoy Fan
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 02:01:16 05/22/20 Fri
In reply to: Basketball_Fan 's message, "Dominican Republic @ MU" on 17:28:06 05/21/20 Thu

I think Amelia is like Catriona. Some hated them because they knew they will win but still hoping someone else will, and they actually ended up winning. It was like their pageants were held for them and they were just doing their thing the entire time while waiting to get crowned. In the end, we all could agree they both deserved it. Imee “Goodevening Bahamas!” Cruz had to settle for a runner up after that.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> Subject: Though it's worth sating that Amelia wasn't the main favorite to win. Ghislaine Ferreira of Brazil was the most hyped and the main fav. Susie was out there, but that was before she showed up in THAT gown. Brazil had likely something to do with Global Beauties being very popular then. Amelia was more of a top 5/top 10 fav... more like a potential 2nd or 3rd runner-up.

Author:
HawtPlusSeksi (nsi)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:01:18 05/23/20 Sat

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> Subject: I must have missed the hype on Brazil as I don’t even remember her. The only girls who had a real shot other than Amelia is Cindy Nell and Serbia. But everyone knew it’s gonna be Amelia all along. She’s up there since she was crowned Miss DR that year.

Author:
Alyssa’s Pinoy Fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:51:38 05/23/20 Sat

I must have missed the hype on Brazil as I don’t even remember her. The only girls who had a real shot other than Amelia is Cindy Nell and Serbia. But everyone knew it’s gonna be Amelia all along. She’s up there since she was crowned Miss DR that year.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Oh, I completely disagree. Here on the voy at the gery least and on globalbeauties.

Author:
HawtPlusSeksi (nsi)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:36:22 05/23/20 Sat

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Brazil was definitely way up there. Agree with you that she was a huge favorite although it was a really diffused year and GB even started pulling hard for Italy at one point. A lot of people had Gislaine in their top 2-3 from day one of the competition even through prelims (whereas USA and Spain crashed hard on the lists that night). Amelia always had the height edge and the assertive personality but Gislaine's prelim performance was decent. I wasn't surprised she got cut before the top 10, though; my theory was her insane headshot with those piercing eyes lodged itself in everyone's cranium haha because in person she was stunning but a lot smaller and less imposing than that picture.

Author:
Jeff
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04:36:16 05/25/20 Mon

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Indeed. I remember also that she also did not have a very toned body. Of course it was good enough, but not among the best... and at that time, I feel like it mattered more than in later MU competitions... as example many of the recent MU winners under IMG had much less or a toned body than the winners from the 00s. I think Ghislaine's favoritism had something to do with groupthink created by Global Beauties and people fell for it. Because in comparison to other favs, she was less impressive from a neutral point of view.

Author:
HawtPlusSeksi (nsi)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:29:03 05/26/20 Tue

[> [> [> Subject: Hmmm... I do seem to remember Amelia as being the favorite to win that year. But this raised a more general question for me about favorites who ended up winning, which I posted in a new thread.

Author:
Doot
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:07:24 05/23/20 Sat

Hmmm... I do seem to remember Amelia as being the favorite to win that year. But this raised a more general question for me about favorites who ended up winning, which I posted in a new thread.

[> [> [> [> Subject: You're right, Amelia was definitely the favorite (I was there) but that was a year when prelims really scrambled the predictions. She took a lot of fire for the blue gown and for the attitude and there was definitely a feeling in the room she could might miss the semifinals entirely if she didn't turn it around. Needless to say, both she and Mariangel did. That was a crazy amazing year with the diversity of favorites. Brazil and SA from day one, then Spain crashing out and Japan dropping every jaw with her gown, and even dark horses like Turkey and Greece.

Author:
Jeff
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:07:10 05/24/20 Sun

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: What was Japan preliminary gown? Her finals night gown was superb one of the best ever.

Author:
Original Rican
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:14:16 05/24/20 Sun

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: It was the same two piece final gown (believe the skirt was Celine) but without the wrap that she wore in the final so it was even more dramatic. It caused such a controversy that Ines had her wear that wrap over it on the final night and then switch to the black gown for Q&A (which she later said she regretted). Definition of power move. People also forget that Miyako was the most "runway" since Greece 2001 and the only one who could have pulled that off. Japan was nowhere on the lists and suddenly soared; I think the GB stock market (they did a daily tally of favorites) had her shooting into the top 5 out of nowhere. Amelia's gown on the other hand was a disaster (this weird blue crap) and Mariangel, while the same gown as finals night, had extremely bad styling on the accessories and hair (exact same story as Stefania Fernandez).

Author:
Jeff
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04:28:04 05/25/20 Mon

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Interesting about Japan that year. Although she was beautiful, she was indeed very "runway" and that was why I sort of discounted her. Miss Universe has always been about something a little different, even in the Trump years. The typical runway look with the icy stare doesn't have the "relatable" element that most MUO titleholders have. So that's why Japan always seemed like a bit of a fluke that year.

Author:
Doot
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:02:22 05/25/20 Mon

Interesting about Japan that year. Although she was beautiful, she was indeed very "runway" and that was why I sort of discounted her. Miss Universe has always been about something a little different, even in the Trump years. The typical runway look with the icy stare doesn't have the "relatable" element that most MUO titleholders have. So that's why Japan always seemed like a bit of a fluke that year.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: She definitely didn’t look like a winner but we all loved the drama she created for MU. She was the kind of different that we welcomed but not necessarily wanted to win. Someones should start a thread for Japan and Ines Ligron.

Author:
Alyssa’s Pinoy Fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:50:50 05/25/20 Mon

She definitely didn’t look like a winner but we all loved the drama she created for MU. She was the kind of different that we welcomed but not necessarily wanted to win. Someones should start a thread for Japan and Ines Ligron.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Wow that’s interesting Jeff! I had a feeling Japan wasn’t noticed until preliminaries that year. You mentioned that GB had a list of stocks, did they call their leaderboard - GB stock market?

Author:
Samuel
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:10:38 05/25/20 Mon

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Message subject (required):

Name (Registered users only):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.