VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Favorites who actually won

Author:
Doot
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 09:05:18 05/23/20 Sat

Trying to think of the pageants since 2000 where there was a pretty clear favorite going into the pageant who actually ended up winning.

Without giving it a ton of thought, these are the ones that occur to me.

UNIVERSE
2003 Dominican Republic, Amelia Vega
2005 Canada, Natalie Glebova
2008 Venezuela, Dayana Mendoza
2017 South Africa, Demi-Leigh Nel Peters
2018 Philippines, Catriona Gray

USA
2004 Missouri, Shandi Finnessey
2008 Texas, Crystle Stewart
2011 California, Alyssa Campanella

TEEN
2013 California, Cassidy Wolf

Of course, there is no way to officially determine who was "the favorite," so this is based more on my impressions and my memory (which gets worse by the day, LOL). Curious to know what others think.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: We should compare these to the Mock winners.

Author:
eloise
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:53:13 05/23/20 Sat

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Ps, was Culpo not a fav?

Author:
eloise
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:56:13 05/23/20 Sat

[> [> [> Subject: I seem to remember her being "a fave" but not "the fave" -- seems like there were at least 4 or 5 contestants that were considered top contenders that year, without a consensus. Then again, that was *way* back in 2012, LOL.

Author:
Doot
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:12:56 05/23/20 Sat

I seem to remember her being "a fave" but not "the fave" -- seems like there were at least 4 or 5 contestants that were considered top contenders that year, without a consensus. Then again, that was *way* back in 2012, LOL.

[> [> [> Subject: Miss Universe 2012, South Africa was hyped to death. She was the winner practically on every board.

Author:
Original Rican
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:10:00 05/24/20 Sun

[> Subject: I would say the main favs to win were; 1999: Carolina Idriago, 2000: Lara Dutta, 2001: Eva Ekvall, 2002: Vanessa Mendiza, 2003 Ghislaine Ferreira, 2004: Shandi Finnessey, 2005: Natalie Glebova, 2006: Kurara Chibana, 2007: Honey Lee, 2008 Ingrid Rivera, 2009: Ada Aimee De la Cruz, 2010: Maria Venus Raj, 2011: Luo Zilin, 2012: Melinda Bam, 2013: Patrucia Rodriguez, 2014; Desiree Cordero, 2015: Pia Wurtzbach, 2016: Raissa Santana, 2017: Demi Lee Nel Peters, 2018: Catriona Gray, 2019: Paweesunda Drouin. Some of the years are very difficult determine, as example 2002 Vanessa cs. Ruth. France has been among the favs many times too: Iris and Mareva Galanter. Some girls were facs but I knew they were in the wrong place at the wrong time to win, Paweesunda and to a lesser extent Denise Cordero come to mind.

Author:
HawtPlusSeksi (nsi)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:53:29 05/23/20 Sat

[> Subject: I believe Rachel was a clear favorite in 2007. For Teen, I think a lot of ppl liked Maryland 2010 and hiked her as the top favorite.

Author:
Samuel
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:14:44 05/23/20 Sat

[> Subject: You forgot Oxana and Denise. Super favorites who ended up winning! All early 2000s winners were favorites during their respective years except Jennifer Hawkins when we were all eyes on Ukraine, Shandi, and Yanina.

Author:
Alyssa’s Pinoy Fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:58:37 05/23/20 Sat

You forgot Oxana and Denise. Super favorites who ended up winning! All early 2000s winners were favorites during their respective years except Jennifer Hawkins when we were all eyes on Ukraine, Shandi, and Yanina.

[> [> Subject: I think Oxana and Denise were invincible on the finals night but a little more questionable going in. Oxana really had a tough gown in prelims and was fairly quiet compared to the mega hype around Vanessa and Ruth, as H said on this thread. Denise was clearly going to be in the top 3 but I think it was also a bit mixed with Venezuela playing to win and Greece catching fire in the prelims. Denise's styling was also different in the prelims. Of course, when the final night rolled around it was pretty much baked :).

Author:
J
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04:58:29 05/25/20 Mon

[> Subject: Janelle Commissiong was an invisible favorite seen only by the judges, hoped by some and stamped by the pageant photographers. Most contestants thought Miss Austria would win as it was on no one’s radar a black woman would win.

Author:
Old Fan/New Name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:43:17 05/24/20 Sun

[> [> Subject: The fact that Haiti 1975 lost is a tragedy. Though had she won, I doubt Janelle would have won later. Btw, why wasn't miss Universe 1975 wearing her crown during the crowning ceremony in 1976?

Author:
Original Rican
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:38:51 05/24/20 Sun

[> [> [> Subject: That was exactly what I was thinking lol! She had her crown as during the final walk but it was gone when she crowned Israel 1976. Did she take it off and pass it to her off screen? Or did she take it off while getting off the throne and down the stairs?

Author:
Samuel
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:41:46 05/24/20 Sun

[> [> [> Subject: At Miss Universe 1998, Brooke took her crown off when Wendy was making her first walk. She probably thought it was Wendy's time.

Author:
Old Fan/New Name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:32:06 05/24/20 Sun

[> [> [> [> Subject: According to reports and E behind the scenes, Brooke was done by the time she crowned Wendy. You also recall she had a Angela Basset moment and cut her hair significantly backstage before the crowning.

Author:
Original Rican
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:37:18 05/24/20 Sun

[> Subject: I think we debated this before but Colombia 2014. I personally never "got her" especially because we knew Ariadna was coming (her family was even in Miami for the pageant scoping it out) but Paulina Vega was the most consistent competitor who never gave up the leading spot after arrival. Global Beauties never had her lower than 2nd and I think she's the only candidate they've given a "perfect score" to in their leaderboard. Spain, USA, India and Ukraine made a lot of noise but Paulina was pretty unavoidable from day one. The girls knew this and resented it, by the way. Before her on your list, probably only Glebova meets that criteria. Oxana, Amelia and Dayana are legends but they had their ups and downs through the competition (first two had tough prelims while Dayana had to fight for it on the final night).

Author:
J
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04:52:59 05/25/20 Mon

[> [> Subject: I remember Puerto Rico was much more favored in Thailand than Glebova.

Author:
Alyssa’s Pinoy Fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:54:36 05/25/20 Mon

I remember Puerto Rico was much more favored in Thailand than Glebova.

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Message subject (required):

Name (Registered users only):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.