VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Mid 2000s Tea

Author:
Wallflower
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 16:41:03 05/24/20 Sun

In the mid 2000s, before social media completely took over the universe, these national directors reigned supreme at Miss Universe. These clique-like alliance has produced memorable wins that changed the game forever.

Magaly Febles ( Puerto Rico, Dominican Rep), Denis Davila(Canada), Ines Ligron (Japan), Peter Elias (Trinidad & Tobago) and Osmel Sousa (Venezuela)

Please feel free to spill any hot tea you know from this era!

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Ines Ligon was Trump personal friend and did wonders for Japan and Korea twice.

Author:
Original Rican
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:39:35 05/24/20 Sun

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> Subject: I think the national directors had way more power in the 60s to 80s. I liked many of Japan's delegates but people need to remember that Mikimodo was the main sponsor. As of Latin American directors it's Telemundo above all. For Canada, I genuinely think the country was on a roll even before Denis... Jimmy Steele electrified the Canadian scene since the late 90s and it translated in pageant results... without any real regain of popularity locally. I do not wantvto take away anything from Osmel. Ines, Magali, Denis, Mme de Fontenair and later Sylvie or even the mean Lupita... but the thing that counts is money and not any sort of a clique that may or may not have existed.

Author:
HawtPlusSeksi (nsi)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:21:28 05/24/20 Sun

[> [> Subject: What ever happened to Jimmy Steele? His beauties of Canada website was perfect. And you are right about Mikimodo but Japan earned many of those spots. Latin America on the other hand, I'm good on. Fox now we get fat ugly heathens and men dressing as women. The fact that Miss Universe allowed that man to compete with women is utterly ridiculous.

Author:
Original Rican
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:34:30 05/25/20 Mon

[> [> [> Subject: He is a teacher of French Second Language, Spanish and German. He's actually the President of Ontario German Teacher Association. This guy is precious, the purest soul you could meet. I don't know what exactly happened when he gave up on pageantry around 2005... but Canadian pageant community has generally been a very nasty circle, Siera Bearchell mentioned some of the antics of her past minor pageants directors. Former and current Miss World Canada directors leave a lot to be desired. MUC and Denis are better.

Author:
HawtPlusSeksi (nsi)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:45:37 05/25/20 Mon

[> [> [> Subject: During the Mikimoto era (2002-2008) Japan only made it four times, and I'd say only the last (08) was questionable (and she's now the national director). 03, 06 and 07 were pretty justified. Ines took over in 1998 though and optically it does look a little suspect that she only got going after Mikimoto, but I recall Mayu Endo in 2000 placed 15th and Satomi Ogawa in 1999 was somewhere in the 15-20th positions so it wasn't like Japan's streak came out of nowhere. Japan was also competitive in 04 and 05, and arguably could have been in 09 had the girl not been fried orange, but the Mikimoto effect wasn't enough to get them through.

Author:
Jeff
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04:19:18 05/25/20 Mon

[> [> [> [> Subject: And we were all amused by her alleged flying to Bahamas from Miami in a chopper. Was that even a true story?

Author:
Alyssas Pinoy Fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:58:56 05/25/20 Mon

And we were all amused by her alleged flying to Bahamas from Miami in a chopper. Was that even a true story?

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: I remember her national costume had to be modify as well. I believe the original version. You can see the pink crotch of her panties! Anywho I love the excitement she brought to the pre pageant. I remember her being very pretty but she was also orange!

Author:
Karrie Postdenim
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:51:35 05/27/20 Wed

Just saying

[> [> [> [> Subject: The 2010 rep. was also decent as well. Just when I thought Japan wouldve been a new powerhouse after 2007, they dissipated afterwards and became clappers again. And then came Philippines, Thailand, and Indonesia. Unpredictable trends.

Author:
Samuel
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:16:46 05/25/20 Mon

[> [> [> [> Subject: "Only" four times? A win, a 1st ru and a top 5 is not what I would consider "only". Though the reps were competitive as well. For 99 and 00, results were not officially released by the MU org.

Author:
HawtPlusSeksi (nsi)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:32:05 05/25/20 Mon

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: 1999 and 2000 the prelims results were released via other sources; 2000 actually had the top 15 released in a newspaper in Cyprus, I saved it somewhere, but if I recall the 11-15th placers were (don't recall the exact order) Netherlands, Germany, Slovak Republic, Panama and Japan, the article also mentioned that Cyprus placed in the top 25.

Author:
Val Ewing (NSI)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:58:59 05/26/20 Tue

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Correction it was Czech Republic in the 2000 Top 15 not Slovak Republic

Author:
VE (NSI)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:07:14 05/26/20 Tue

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: I remember that, though it was not an official release. I remember the same girls being mentioned.

Author:
HawtPlusSeksi (nsi)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:55:45 05/26/20 Tue

[> [> [> [> Subject: Wait, 05 Japan? She wore a turkey evening gown, it wasn't happening.

Author:
Original Rican
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:39:28 05/25/20 Mon

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Yes. And it's really, really unfortunate..I know some queens loved it, but let's face it, the gown was atrocious to over 90% of people. And it torpedoed Yukari's chances to place and she was a solid delegate overall.

Author:
HawtPlusSeksi (nsi)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:43:54 05/25/20 Mon

[> [> [> [> Subject: I had the biggest pageant crush on Kurara Chibana (Japan 2006). I know it's not popular opinion, but I really wanted her to win, and I thought she deserved it. I thought Zuleyka was just a little "too much," if that makes sense. With Kurara's performance, she basically just put the crown on Riyo Mori's head in 2007.

Author:
JustM
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:23:15 05/27/20 Wed

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Uhmm. I do not think Kurara is disliked at all. I think it was pretty much split between Zuleyka, Kurara and Laurianne. The win of each of them would be justified. I believe Zuleyka gained a lot by participating in the Despacito clip, not only financially. I think Zuleyka is one of the most sexual Miss Universe winners, the most in the last 20 years, And that is why, I think her win is generally well received... more nowadays, but even in 2006 it wasn't a shock for anyone. I for one, would not change the results of this MU... except maybe for crowning Alice Panikian HA. But had Kurara won, I doubt Riyo Mori, whom I adore, would have won... and I find Riyo more intriguing and beautiful.

Author:
HawtPlusSeksi
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:52:33 05/27/20 Wed

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Kurara laid the foundation for Riyo to win. I always found Riyo to be adrogenous even before she wore the tux for her final walk.

Author:
Original Rican
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:24:33 05/28/20 Thu

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Message subject (required):

Name (Registered users only):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.