VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Miss USA 2015

Author:
Doot
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 21:32:08 07/05/20 Sun

Can you believe it has been 5 years already since this notorious and fascinating pageant? You can rewatch it here...

This was the pageant that was broadcast on Reelz after... um... certain controversies (let's not go there). I have to say, it was actually a very good production, and I liked having former titleholders as the judges.

Before the pageant, my favorites were Kentucky, Arizona, Nevada, and California (who missed the cut). This was the year two "celebrity sisters" missed the cut: NC, Julia Dalton (Kristen Dalton's sister) and UT, Nicol Powell (Marissa Powell's sister).

There's lots to say, but a few thoughts on some of the semifinalists.

OKLAHOMA: After the question round, Olivia was the only viable winner, so I don't question her win, but she was never a favorite of mine with that crazed open-mouth laugh and the tear-jerking video.

NEVADA: I loved her and was disappointed she didn't go farther. She had a stumble in gown, survived that, but was done in by the question round. After this year they made some changes to make sure the YouTube moments didn't happen anymore. (I think contestants at least get a list of possible topics now, which seems to have helped.)

RHODE ISLAND: She was great till evening gown. Although the gown was avant garde, she couldn't walk properly in it and everything went downhill from there.

DELAWARE: The curse was finally broken, and in a very good way. I loved Renee and wish she had been in the Top 5.

MICHIGAN: I really liked Rashontae. If you remember, she also had the hot dad! I don't know what she was thinking with her gown choice, which looked like the ghost from a Scooby Doo cartoon.

ARIZONA: She was my initial pick to win, but she was lacking a bit of spark on finals night.

VIRGINIA: I had very mixed feelings about her. She was probably too muscular in swimsuit and looked a bit too intense with her hair slicked back, but there was something very appealing about her.

A few miscellaneous thoughts: Nia looked great (as always) for her final walk ... This was the last year that Miss USA was somewhat predictable (I think many people picked Olivia to win); once IMG took over it became anybody's guess ... Julie Alexandria, the commentator, was much better than Jeannie Mai ... I loved Delaware and Alaska, both in yellow, as co-winners of Miss Congeniality.

For all its controversy and craziness, I thought this was actually a good pageant and probably the strongest Top 15 of the decade.

Curious to know your thoughts!

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Olivia was a really great speaker that night, so I still wonder how she ended up mumbling like that in Universe. Anea is the perfect example of ladies who had it in the bag until the interview round.

Author:
Alyssa’s Pinoy Fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:59:47 07/05/20 Sun

Olivia was a really great speaker that night, so I still wonder how she ended up mumbling like that in Universe. Anea is the perfect example of ladies who had it in the bag until the interview round.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> Subject: Personally I really liked Michigan's gown. Would you have preferred she have worn the lime green gown (affectionately known as "Kermit"), that was similar to Olivia's, that she wore in prelims? I thought the gown Rashontae used for finals photographed well, which she did use for gown photos, and was pleased she changed gowns.

Author:
Val Ewing
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:12:25 07/06/20 Mon

[> [> Subject: It's funny about that prelims gown. I did not like the color, but I thought the cut was really interesting. It had "facets," almost like the surfaces of a gem. At Miss Universe 2019, France wore a "ghost" gown that reminded me of Michigan's finals night gown. I liked France's just a bit more, but I still didn't find it very flattering.

Author:
Doot
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:56:30 07/06/20 Mon

It's funny about that prelims gown. I did not like the color, but I thought the cut was really interesting. It had "facets," almost like the surfaces of a gem. At Miss Universe 2019, France wore a "ghost" gown that reminded me of Michigan's finals night gown. I liked France's just a bit more, but I still didn't find it very flattering.

[> [> [> Subject: Controversial opinion but I love that gown and the color especially

Author:
bella
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:37:55 07/06/20 Mon

A love bold colors on stage; it looked so good with her hair

[> Subject: Ylianna and Olivia, the only time in a pageant that my fav top 2 made the final top 2. Both girls kind of underperformed that night. I would never crown someone in Olivia's gown if I were a judge. And Ylianna was off for the whole night, maybe due to Trump Mexico and Mexicans controversy. Five years after, I am veeh happy judges chose this duo. I think Anea is fine as 2nd runner up but I never had an ompression it was hee pageant to lose, as some posters say. I think she lacks in the facial beauty... Maureen Montagne who was cut too early was more of THE fav before pageant. She was cut off too early. Rashontae should have been top 5. As of Brittany, it is literally a miractly she was not only a state winner and third runner up nationally. This girl has some of the worst interview skills of any top 5er at Miss USA since at least the late 90s, but in terms of outer beauty, she has a striking look for sure.

Author:
HawtPlusSeksi (nsi)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:50:09 07/07/20 Tue

[> [> Subject: Sorry for all the typos.

Author:
HawtPlusSeksi (nsi)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:52:52 07/07/20 Tue

[> Subject: I follow this board closely, including 2015. IIRC, Ylianna was no doubt a contender yet more in the mid-range for projected semi-finalists (ranks 6-11 or so). I pay attention to lists preparing for prediction contests & I believe this was the case. Ylianna certainly deserved her high placement yet if memory serves correctly the feeling in the air wasn't as promising as her incredible final outcome.

Author:
nsi
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:28:19 07/07/20 Tue

[> Subject: First, I loved the concept of the three stage settings used, the colors of dress for each, and the music to describe each set. Second, Louisiana always has a great crowd for Miss USA everytime. Third, my top two were Maryland and Michigan by a thousand miles over the eventual last two standing. Olivia never appealed to me, including her stint at Miss World, and Ylianna always seemed to have the same expression every time (think Kristen Stewart) and that was a turn off. Pretty, but blank. We met Candice Bennatt when she was Miss NM America in ABQ and it was an unpleasant experience. Surprised she placed. Anyhow, I would've place Wisconsin, South Dakota and Ohio into that year's Top 5 along with Maryland and Michigan.

Author:
HIM
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:55:07 07/07/20 Tue

Last edited by author: Tue July 07, 2020 21:01:16   Edited 1 time.

[> [> Subject: I agree about Ylianna, and was surprised she ended up as first runner-up. Also, I didn't think her gown was very flattering... it looked too tight in some places and too loose in others.

Author:
Doot
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:39:31 07/08/20 Wed

I agree about Ylianna, and was surprised she ended up as first runner-up. Also, I didn't think her gown was very flattering... it looked too tight in some places and too loose in others.

[> Subject: I feel like I'm the only one who hated Rhode Island that year. She was SUCH a try hard. Her problem was that she became way to cocky because she had that "I'm going to win" attitude and I feel like she didn't expect the question they asked her which is why she completely blew it. Don't get to cocky ladies and gents because sometimes things won't always work in your favor.

Author:
Kaylee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:25:33 07/08/20 Wed

[> [> Subject: You’re not alone.

Author:
eloise
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:14:44 07/08/20 Wed

[> [> Subject: She also looked cross-eyed

Author:
Sammy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:59:59 07/10/20 Fri

[> Subject: This pageant was RHODE ISLAND's to lose, which she did. She had the platform, the interesting birth story and the height. I didn't find her all that gorgeous but lots of fans did. That damn evening gown is what ruined her. After tripping down the stage in EG, you could tell she was paranaoid about face planting and this clearly distracted her during the Q&A rounds. Despite her poor answers, she still placed 2nd RU, which shows the judges must have had her as their winner prior to the Q&A (just like Venezuela at MU 2012).

Author:
MU_Critic
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:37:17 07/18/20 Sat

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Message subject (required):

Name (Registered users only):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.