VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Most of them! I doubt pageant organizers would allow random judges to select a winner just like that even though that's the image that is portrayed. We've all heard of judges' briefing. They are told what the org. is looking for before finals. The telecast is merely a production to justify the selection of the chosen one. CLICK INSIDE for some thoughts about particular pageants >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Author:
MU_Critic
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 17:42:40 10/05/20 Mon
In reply to: no name 's message, "Fixed Pageants?" on 16:21:11 10/05/20 Mon

MU 2016 - Siera Bearchell (Miss Canada 2016) commented that she knew Iris was going to win MU 2016 based on 3 main factors: 1) Iris was the only delegate who had access to Pia's dressing room prior to the pageant; 2) Minutes before the telecast began, Iris confided in others that she was nervous about the final question. Why? The pageant hadn't even started yet and she didn't know she would make Top 13 let alone Top 3....or did she????; and 3) All quarter and semi-finalists are allotted assistants backstage to help with getting ready, make-up, hair, etc. Iris had more assistants than everyone else. Siera believes this is because MUO wanted her to look perfect since she was the chosen one.

MU 2015 - Pia was a fine winner but let's look at this year's judging structure. Only 4 judges were on the telecast panel (an all time low). Pageant fans were invited to serve as the 5th judge and were allowed to score the Top 15 in SS and the Top 10 in EG. Their fan vote scores counted as part of the overall judging process. A first! The online fan vote registration process didn't work for many but it was clear by the scores many of the fans who were able to vote were Filipino. Pia's fan vote scores were in the 9's. Colombia's fan vote scores were in the 6's. Everyone else was hovering around 1-3! I don't blame Pia's fans since this opportunity was offered to them on a silver platter by MUO but the whole thing was heavily biased. Furthermore, delegates were asked to judge whom they wanted to win MU out of the Top 3 (USA had just recently won in 2012, Colombia won the year before and Philippines hadn't won since 1973). It was clear to me what was happening. Then we got the botched crowning. Had this judging structure been used again, I wouldn't suspect as much. But since it was a one time thing and it was clearly meant to benefit Philippines, I can't help to think it was rigged. Pia did win FQ outright imo though.

MU 2014 - Most fans knew a Latina would this this year and one did.

MU 2011 - Funny how Portugal and both Portuguese colonies (Brazil and Angola) placed in Brazil. Leila is lovely but if we keep things real, she should have been axed after SS. Her gown performance was strong but the roar of the crowd played a huge factor in that. She was wearing a dress made by a popular Brazilian couture designer.

MU 2009 - I will never understand how Stefania managed to make Top 15 after prelims. Her performances and styling were dreadful especially for a MV. When she kept advancing I thought the judges were on crack but didn't think she was strong enough to win, which she ended up doing. A back-to-back ended up being just what MUO needed as a media pick-me-up in an otherwise dull year.

MU 2002 - Oxana Fedorova will forever be stunning imo but also part of one of the most rigged pageants ever. She was invited to compete at MU 2001 but she declined because she wanted to finish her studies. Her replacement ended up finishing in the Top 10 while Fedorova was in attendance. When Oxana arrived at MU 2002, her prelim cupcake gown was tacky and too short and her hair looked disheveled in her official portrait headshot (2 signs she didn't care). She claimed to have had a premonition that she'd win even though she didn't want to. Despite this, she told someone in Moscow to buy the famous Gucci bedsheet wedding dress and send it to her asap. Her answer to the FQ was also just too perfect for it to be spontaneous. My gut feeling tells me she was told at the pageant she was going to win and because of this, she needed a more modern gown for the telecast, which is why she summoned for one despite her premonition. I even think she was tipped off about the FQ. As I said, I think she was stunning that night but I wouldn't say she was leaps and bounds ahead of the pack. That Top 10 was strong and full of beauty. The scores should have been much closer than they were imo.

MU 2001 - We don't even need to discuss this but this pageant was hosted in PR, Ricky Martin performed, Marc Anthony performed, Marc Anthony & Dayanara Torres were judging panel, Denise was last called into the Top 10, Denise had her own SS segment after the commercial...the whole thing was a celebration rather than a competition.

MU 1990 - Mona Grudt transformed into a stunner a few years after her reign but in 1990, she was a frumpy dumpy mess. Her EG was designed by her friend and she looked bored yet she swept all segments with the judges.

MU 1987 - The Chilean Grandma lost the much weaker Miss South America 1987 pageant to Colombian stunner, Patricia Lopez. As a matter of fact, granny didn't even place at said pageant despite there only being a handful of competitors. Fast-forward to MU 1987 and Chile ended up bulldozing through all segments with added help from host Bob Barker in interview. Travesty!

Btw, all the 1st RUs that ended up winning MW wasn't by chance either!

And all MW winners seem to be hand-picked by Julia.

Global Beauties eliminated Miss Earth from their Grandslam rankings after a video was released of a potential bribe negotation with the president. lol

Last edited by author: Tue October 06, 2020 21:18:50   Edited 4 times.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> Subject: i disagree about MOna. I think she won on her T 6 Question. How about miss usa, teen and Miss america

Author:
a
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:30:19 10/05/20 Mon

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> Subject: @ a -- Regarding Miss USA: 2 instances come to mind. The first is 1999 when an awkward Kimberly Pressler won beating out a confident Tennessee and a stunning California. If you recall the Top 5 interviews, host Shemar Moore was reading pre-written questions off a cue card for each finalist. While the other 4 got dumb questions, Kimberly got "If you were Miss USA" type questions, which really made it appear that she was (for some reason) the chosen one. I mean, California was asked to bend over backwards and touch her nose to the floor! The second example is 2003 when Susie Castillo won. She was bubbly and cute but by no means a front-runner or even anywhere close to the best. But NBC's contract with Telemundo that year most likely dictated that a Latina had to win and she was the chosen one.

Author:
MU_Critic
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:59:36 10/06/20 Tue

Last edited by author: Tue October 06, 2020 21:01:02   Edited 1 time.

[> [> Subject: I totally agree with you about Miss Universe 1987. Both Patricia Lopez Ruiz and Uruguay's Victoria Zangaro were the top placers at Miss South America 1987 and they both were eliminated from the start despite getting high prelim swimsuit scores (unless they did bad in interview). I can see how Lita Cecilia won that night but with the help of the interview with Bob Barker and elimination of contenders who placed higher than her in a pageant that usually was an indicator in previous years of how South American reps would do at Universe. As for Mona Grudt, i still don't get how she swept everything at Universe during her year. Yes Mona did evolve into a stunning beauty years later, but that night she sorta looked like a pretty version of the kid from Problem Child and her interviews were pretty dull. I would've scored Bolivia, USA, and Venezuela (even with the gift wrap topped with a ribbon gown) higher than her. Heck, I would've possibly scored Urenia Haltenhoff higher!

Author:
Cali_Dude
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:06:40 10/06/20 Tue

Last edited by author: Tue October 06, 2020 12:08:00   Edited 1 time.

[> [> [> Subject: AMEN bro! And Peru was another clapper at Miss South America who ended up placing in the Top 10! I still can't get the traumatic flashbacks of her teal foil gown out of my head after 30+ years! 1987 was so strange that the results never registered as random or lucky. There was something going on that allowed 2 smaller pageant clappers to emerge as semi-finalists with the older looking one rising like the phoenix in the end. And 1990 was the year of Mona. I'm surprised she didn't pick up an Oscar, a Grammy and a Nobel Prize as well because I have never seen someone look so ho-hum vacuuming up everything in sight! LMAO @ a prettier version of the kid in Problem Child! Colombia, Bolivia, USA, India, Mexico, a gift-wrapped Venezuela and even our very own Goddess of Caterpillar Brows Urania showed more spunk and interest. The only semi-finalist I thought Mona should have beaten that year was Czechoslovakia who had the fastest and most awkward EG performance in the history of MU!

Author:
MU_Critic
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:53:17 10/06/20 Tue

Last edited by author: Tue October 06, 2020 21:24:53   Edited 1 time.

[> [> [> [> Subject: I totally forgot about Czechoslovakia, who was just awkward..period!! And her EG looked like something from the Fingerhut catalog. My mom said that she was probably scared and uneasy about conpeting in a pageant in the free world and was probably experiencing culture shock being outside of the Iron Curtain. Once again, another great Urenia moment was when Czechoslovakia was called into the 10 and awkwardly walks to her spot, Urenia who was not clapping at first has this look like "ohhhkay..really?"

Author:
Cali_Dude
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:13:03 10/07/20 Wed

Last edited by author: Wed October 07, 2020 01:13:47   Edited 1 time.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: LOL! I remember! Urania dressed up like a rooster giving the competition cut eye in Top 10 is why I love pageants! Czechoslovakia looked like she was victim of electric shock therapy at some point in her life. The fried hair, the nervous twitching, and the odd tempo of her walk (sometimes slow, sometimes fast but never in unison with the music) definitely made it appear as if she was experiencing culture shock as your mom suggested. And I'm sure selecting one item under $7.99 from the Fingerhut catalog was part of the Iron Curtain prize package back in the day. Haha! One of my favorite moments from that pageant in EG is when Turkey's Little Sister pulls a Urania as soon as she sees the pink harem pajama dress. Her face said it all: "I'm only 4 but like....WTF?!"

Author:
MU_Critic
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:16:04 10/07/20 Wed

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: LOL. So dead on with your descriptions. I totally thought the same thing about Czechoslovakia as even her eyes had a look of years of living in turmoil and looked like you'd see her in one of those olympic fluffs about a gymnast from a communist country who had to travel 3 days by train to get to her training center. I can picture her looking out a big window to a gray cold world with a look of sadness and hope. I thought Turkey was gorgeous and thought evening gown was what killed her. She looked like a curtain fell on her and she just ignored it and kept walking. Her little sisters "how embarrasing" look was priceless. Another Urania tidbit, look at her little sister and how bossy and mean she was to the other little girls (noticable during Miss India's turn) telling them where to stand and shoving them around and then looking at Urenia with admiration as she walked down the stairs thinking my big sister is gonna win

Author:
Cali_Dude
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:09:52 10/12/20 Mon

Last edited by author: Mon October 12, 2020 15:17:19   Edited 3 times.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Jana Hronkova already looks like she gone through some shock therapy during the national pageant. CLICK INSIDE for pic........

Author:
Cali_Dude
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:15:56 10/12/20 Mon

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: The pic didn't load but good God! We could write an encyclopedia on these older pageants. They were pure gold! I just rewatched the EG segment and Urania's Little Bully was such a snot! No wonder she had her chin stroked by Rooster Lady like a good minion. lol And I was also rooting for Turkey until she came out looking like cotton candy. Didn't know whether to give her a 1.0 or take a bite out of her thigh.

Author:
MU_Critic
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:46:35 10/14/20 Wed

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject:

Author:
Cali_Dude
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:27:16 10/18/20 Sun

Last edited by author: Sun October 18, 2020 11:30:00   Edited 1 time.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: I think that Turkey "saw it in the winda, and jest couldn't resist."

Author:
No Name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:47:54 10/12/20 Mon

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Message subject (required):

Name (Registered users only):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.