VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Another one that's mentioned often as being fixed was Miss Universe 1988. An Asian sweep is always cool since its rarely ever happens. But after the top 5 was picked that year, it definitely smelled like a cooking show. I loved Korea and Thailand was cool, but Hong Kong and Japan being in the final 5 over USA and Dominican Rep. was pretty "huh??" I always thought the Asian batch from 1989 in Cancun was actually more pretty and worthy even though none of them ended up making the cut. The other thing was the top 10 that year was pretty mediocre with a few exceptions. Colombia was forgetable and Venezuela and her huge hair and space dress was just too much. The weird thing was there were many worthy European girls who scored high in the swimsuit prelims that year and the chosen European ended up being Norway's Bente Brunland, who looked uncomfortable and clumsy all night.

Author:
Cali_Dude
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 01:27:34 10/07/20 Wed
In reply to: no name 's message, "Fixed Pageants?" on 16:21:11 10/05/20 Mon

Last edited by author: Wed October 07, 2020 01:29:24   Edited 1 time.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> [> Subject: Yajaira Vera looked like she was beamed down from a UFO in that Judy Jetson couture monstrosity. The neckline wasn't high or low enough to make sense, the shoulders made her look like a klingon and that hair was so big it had its on zip code! Clearly, she took Miss "Universe" literally. Japan was such a closeted nymphomaniac -- all sweet and giggly but that red light district dress with black lace gloves told me she was doing a lot more at those "garage sales". Hong Kong was like an Asian Karen. Arrogant, demanding and that short gown pink lamé and black lace gown will go down as one of the biggest horrors ever!

Author:
MU_Critic
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:28:50 10/13/20 Tue

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> [> Subject: Everything about Yajaira Vera was excessive. The big hair and crazy gowns. Watch the crowning of Miss Venezuela 1989 and she looks horrendous while giving her final walk before the winner was announced. LMAO at Miss Japan. I really need to upload the 1988 Miss Japan, where she won and you'll see a bunch of closeted nymphos all sweet and giggly, almost like a geisha contest. As for Hong Kong, I just did not get how she placed at both Miss Universe and Miss World with her spiral perm. Maybe it was her love of Eddie Murphy that helped her out. She looked like the cashier at the local 99 Ranch Market

Author:
Cali_Dude
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:59:50 10/13/20 Tue

[> [> [> [> Subject: I had to remind myself of Yajaira's final walk look from MV '89 and all I can say is that I'm glad my medicine cabinet is stocked up with Pepto! Her dalmatian on extacy frock wasn't even satisfactory for the 80's! Apparently, the dress (as well as her MU space cadet ballgown) were designed by Guy Meliet -- a French designer who trained under Nina Ricci before setting up shop in Caracas. I'm sure Ricci cut off all ties and sent him into exile when she saw his final portfolio. The only gown he ever created that looked like it didn't belong in Pee-wee's Playhouse was for Lisa Liung at MU 1989.

Author:
MU_Critic
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:57:12 10/13/20 Tue

Last edited by author: Tue October 13, 2020 20:02:30   Edited 1 time.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: LOL Pee wee's playhouse. Is that same designer who created most ofl the gowns at Miss Venezuela 1989 and 1990. So many ridiculous lookin ones those 2 years and then add Barbara Palacios ice crystal gown that she also wore while assisting crowning at Miss Universe 1991. The most crazy one was Miss Portuguesa's gown with light bulb arms which she can barely move in and looked like she had botox injections in her arm that went wrong and was about to devour poor Lisa Ljung in the middle picture. And to make it worst she really had a bad case of that sophist-a twist bun hairdo im not a fan of.CLICK INSIDE FOR PIC...

Author:
Cali_Dude
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:29:41 10/18/20 Sun

Last edited by author: Sun October 18, 2020 11:32:25   Edited 3 times.

[> [> Subject: But to touch on the cooking show aspect, isn't it funny how when an East/Southeast Asian wins MU, the Top15/Top10 have a healthy number of Asians? 1988 had 4. 2007 had 4. 2015 had 4. 2018 had 5. A sign to the judges on which region/type of look to crown? And then we have everybody's favorite comedienne, Bente Brunland. Putting the "fun" in funeral, Bente was nothing more than dead weight filler in that Top 10. Like a speedbump, her role was to lay on the floor and let the other semifinalists run over her to attain higher placements.

Author:
MU_Critic
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:34:19 10/13/20 Tue

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Message subject (required):

Name (Registered users only):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.