VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: (THE) BAHAMAS - FIRST TIME PLACEMENT

Author:
MU_Critic
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 00:20:04 12/13/21 Mon

History was made when Chantel O'Brian became the first delegate from her nation to place at MU 2021!

The Bahamas has participated at MU from 1963 to 2021 having not sent a delegate for only 2 years within this period in 1973 and 1984, respectively.

It's always great to see new countries get some limelight at a contest that has "Universe" in its title.

However, which statement below would best describe how you feel about The Bahamas finally placing:

A) I am happy The Bahamas finally broke their clapping streak

B) Chantel deserved to be the first delegate from her country to place based on her performance

C) Both A + B

D) I am unhappy that Chantel placed, as her spot could have gone to another delegate whom I found more deserving

Last edited by author: Mon December 13, 2021 03:38:04   Edited 2 times.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Bahamas is the true miss Universe winner. She won the carnival award and made top 10. That is beyond impressive and makes history! She genuinely had fun on stage and I loved every moment of it.

Author:
OriginalRican22
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04:53:19 12/13/21 Mon

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: She was definitely a huge silver lining to this disaster edition! I was also rooting for Honduras but she didn't come across as warm as others. BTW, did DR ever end up going on her Covid cruise last year thanks to her award? lol

Author:
MU_Critic
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:54:26 12/13/21 Mon

Last edited by author: Mon December 13, 2021 12:58:19   Edited 1 time.

[> Subject: loved seeing her and aruba reach top 10!!!

Author:
sapient_101
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:42:38 12/13/21 Mon

[> [> Subject: Aruba wins the Tara McCormick award.

Author:
OriginalRican22
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:59:17 12/13/21 Mon

[> [> [> Subject: I had Aruba in my top 15 after prelims. So I was thrilled she placed.

Author:
PF-Indy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:24:08 12/13/21 Mon

[> [> [> [> Subject: I really liked how Aruba's hairstyle paid homage to Taryn Mansell's hairdo back when she placed 1st RU in 1996. The yellow pleated train on Colombia's gown also reminded me of Verna Vasquez's telecast EG in 1997. These are the sorts of small things I hold onto to keep from going insane due to modern pageantry. lol

Author:
MU_Critic
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:57:30 12/13/21 Mon

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Good observation. Aruba had her hair pulled back in a hair net for gown. I saw the Twitter, love it.

Author:
OriginalRican22
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:52:46 12/13/21 Mon

[> Subject: Do you think The Bahamas was an MUO pick or did she make the cut on her own merits (voted in by the prelim judges)?

Author:
MU_Critic
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:09:23 12/13/21 Mon

[> [> Subject: I think she was picked by the judges. She seem to be very warm and cheerful which could have endeared her to the judges. She is also pretty so with a pleasing personality, I don't see how hard it would be to select her to move to the next round.

Author:
sapient_101
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:56:02 12/13/21 Mon

[> [> Subject: Ironically, of all the girls in the top 15,i actually think Bahamas is one of the few who made it in on her own. She was very charismatic and natural. I would also include Aruba on that list. There is not a chance in hell you can tell me Singapore, Japan, Great Britain all got in on they own unless interview is 90 percent? Philippines was a Paula pick, compared to the other girls who made the cut, Bea performance was not that strong.

Author:
OriginalRican22
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:51:46 12/13/21 Mon

[> [> [> Subject: Not to discount Singapore's placement, but I read from IG pages that MUO peeps do like her. So yes, maybe she is also a Paula / MUO pick. In any case, it is refreshing to see a non-sash country get called.

Author:
sapient_101
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:12:20 12/13/21 Mon

[> [> [> [> Subject: Singapore looked like Peter Pans brother. The worst swimsuits body in the top 16. There were at least 10 other non sash girls who would have been better.

Author:
OriginalRican22
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:20:13 12/13/21 Mon

[> [> [> Subject: Japan was my WTH semifinalist this year. She wasn't in my Top 50 and I have a hard time believing that the judges voted her in based on her prelims performances. Could this be an example of a franchise contract up for renewal and a dangling carrot to coax the director to re-sign?

Author:
MU_Critic
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:24:49 12/13/21 Mon

Last edited by author: Mon December 13, 2021 17:45:23   Edited 2 times.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Japan (probably like Singapore) did well in interview. Japan looked like she spoke perfect English? But if both were Paula picks, this shows a major flaw in Why Paula should not be picking anyone.

Author:
OriginalRican22
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:22:25 12/13/21 Mon

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Japan is or was studying in the US so she speaks English very well.

Author:
sapient_101
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:48:50 12/13/21 Mon

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: I will never understand why there is such a huge focus on prelim interview. If you think about it, only 5 of the women who make the semis (whether it is a Top 15, 16, 20 or 21) will get a chance to speak. Therefore, all those "tremendous speakers" who look frumpy dumpy in SS and EG get guillotined and so those spots are essentially wasted. They should give equal weight to SS, EG and Interview like they used to. It makes for a well-rounded winner and overall pageant.

Author:
MU_Critic
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:12:14 12/14/21 Tue

Last edited by author: Tue December 14, 2021 09:21:29   Edited 1 time.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Chelsi, Brooke, and Lara all were interview queens. How were their swimsuit and gown scores? I agree as well, interview should count less in preliminary, as far as I concerned they could get rid of interview.

Author:
OriginalRican22
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:07:13 12/14/21 Tue

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Of the 3 you mentioned, Lara was the most well-rounded in terms of rankings having ranked 1st in SS and 4th in EG. Brooke ranked 3rd in SS and 4th in EG (both were gifts imo). Chelsi was 1st in SS and 7th in EG. Brooke and Chelsi won Top 10 interview and Lara still owns the highest televised score for Top 5/6 Q&A.

Author:
MU_Critic
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:25:12 12/14/21 Tue

Last edited by author: Tue December 14, 2021 10:32:45   Edited 2 times.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Scores shown for the winners of MU 1995, 1997, 2000 during the broadcast. See inside.

Author:
Basketball_Fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:08:55 12/18/21 Sat

USA 1995
Prelim Swimsuit 9.29 (1st)
Prelim Evening Gown 9.37 (5th)
Prelim Interview 9.37 (7th)
Prelim Average 9.343 (1st)
Semifinal Swimsuit 9.71 (1st)
Semifinal Interview 9.63 (3rd)
Semifinal Evening Gown 9.65 (7th)
Semifinal Average 9.67 (1st)
Top 6 9.79 (2nd)

USA 1997
Prelim Swimsuit 9.11 (4th)
Prelim Evening Gown 9.04 (10th)
Prelim Interview 9.56 (3rd)
Prelim Average 9.236 (3rd)
Semifinal Interview 9.61 (1st)
Semifinal Swimsuit 9.50 (3rd)
Semifinal Evening Gown 9.68 (4th)
Semifinal Average 9.59 (3rd)
Top 6 9.88 (1st)

India 2000
Semifinal Swimsuit 9.44 (1st)
Semifinal Evening Gown 9.40 (4th)
Semifinal Average 9.42 (2nd)
Top 5 9.95 (1st)

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Hmm...I'm going to rock the boat with all of the responders. The preliminary interview is crucial. It's the one place where, if the judges are the same for preliminary and finals, a great preliminary interview can be remembered by a judge all the way to the crown.

Author:
OldFan-NewName-1
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:58:37 12/18/21 Sat

Last edited by author: Sat December 18, 2021 17:59:18   Edited 1 time.

[> Subject: Miss Bahamas had no business in that top 16.

Author:
Declan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:35:58 12/17/21 Fri

[> [> Subject: I disagree. Unlike Ghana 1999 who looked completely out of place, Bahamas was charasmatic and had a special aura about her. Both ss and gown were fair. Ghana on the other hand looked a hot mess.

Author:
OriginalRican22
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:06:44 12/17/21 Fri

[> [> [> Subject: I was not born in the late 1900's. That is not relevant to me. They didn't even have Hi- Definition or WiFi back then. I am talking about the modern era, 2021. And Bahamas looked out of place in that top 16. Her body was not good. Her dress was cheap. Just because you have an "aura" and "charisma" does not make you worthy of a top 16 placement. Her "aura" looked like she was eye-humping the camera.

Author:
Declan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:37:23 12/18/21 Sat

[> [> [> [> Subject: Lol 1990s is modern era dumb ass. The academic term is contemporary and that is anything post 1980s. And if you want to focus specifically post 2001, there have been numerous girls who had no business in the cut. I just think you are racist. Bahamas was well above Singapore who looked like Peter Pans brother. If you go join a message board, learn who run this. You are another Brian J, the sovereign reject who think they know pageant history.

Author:
OriginalRican22
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:59:03 12/18/21 Sat

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: You should reread your response. Do you realize how sloppy you sound? Did I bring up pageant history? Did I bring up racism? I said the Bahamas did not belong in the top ten. So, before you come at someone and accuse them of being a racist you should probably have some concrete proof. Otherwise, keep hiding behind your computer like creature you are. If you're referring to the 1900's....that is old to me. Technically the "modern era" of the Miss Universe pageant would have started in 2003.

Author:
Declan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:12:45 12/18/21 Sat

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: I love you boo 😂

Author:
OriginalRican22
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:20:10 12/19/21 Sun

[> Subject: My short list for Mock Miss Universe had Bahamas. It also had Japan. So I'm happy with both of their placements. I am So over MU picks. Many of them take up space. Let the judges select all the SF.

Author:
OldFan-NewName-1
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:01:32 12/18/21 Sat

Last edited by author: Sat December 18, 2021 18:03:16   Edited 1 time.

[> [> Subject: The bigger issue is that we don't know how many picks Paula has. To date, I have not seen anything in writing or by laws and no one has questioned this policy. So as fsr as we are concerned, paula could pick them all. And I doubt Vietnam won the fan vote that is usually won by Thailand

Author:
OriginalRican22
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:45:09 12/18/21 Sat

[> [> [> Subject: This is true. We don't know how many SF are Paula's picks. This all started because Ukraine did not place in 2004.

Author:
OldFan-NewName-1
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:34:30 12/19/21 Sun

[> [> Subject: Japan had a great gown presentation. I think she got in on gown and interview. Her SS was not good in my opinion. Too bad she didn't get a chance to showcase that awesome gown on finals night though.

Author:
Declan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:17:50 12/18/21 Sat

[> [> [> Subject: I have a 'pull for the underdog' mentality, so I was really rooting for Japan and especially Morocco after gown prelims. I was tired of 'nude lace doily/barely enough glitter to cover the bits' gowns in 2010, enough is enough.

Author:
JustM
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:08:27 12/19/21 Sun

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.