VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Miss Universe 2021 trivia

Author:
Samuel
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 20:15:03 12/18/21 Sat

Since Wikipedia doesnít allow to post trivia anymore, let me post some trivia here.
Trivia on this yearís placements:

INDIA wins its third title! First time since Lara Dutta in 2000!

Paraguay records itís highest placement in Miss Universe! The country last placed in 2006!

South Africa places in the top 3 for the fourth time in five years! Prior to Demiís win in 2017, the country has not made the top five since 2003.

Colombia places in the top 5 for the sixth time in eight years!!

Philippines places for the 12th straight year since 2010. Last top 5 placement was Catrionaís win in 2018.

Puerto Rico makes the top 10 for the fourth straight year.

USA places in the semifinals for the 11th straight year. Although the streak is impressive, the country has NOT made the top 5 since 2015!! This is the longest top 5 drought for USA since the inception of the pageant. The new national director, Crystle hopefully turns the table and returns USA into the top 5 (and hopefully crowns a ninth Miss Universe next year).

The Bahamas places for the first time!! The country has competed since 1963 but has clapped every year until 2021. Chantel also won a special award for the country. Interestingly, the last award won by Bahamas was in 2001 (the 50th anniversary).

France continues to be the main European powerhouse at Miss Universe. They record their third consecutive placement at Miss Universe.

Aruba places for the first time since 1996! Interestingly, during an IG takeover, Thessaly said that she most admires Taryn who placed as first runner up to Alicia M. in 1996.

Singapore records their first placement since 1987!! This is only their third placement at Miss Universe and it took 33 years to end its drought.

Panama places for the first time since 2016.

Japan makes the top 16 since 2015.

Great Britain makes the semifinals for the second straight year. Based on placements in recent years, the country is turning into a European stronghold at Miss Universe as the country has placed four times in the last five years.

Vietnam makes the semifinals for the fourth consecutive year. This is the second straight year the nation won the fanvote.

Venezuela places in the semifinals after clapping in the 2020 edition earlier this year. Although the country has made the semifinals eight times in the last ten years (still impressive), the South American nation has not made the top 10 for the third straight year. To put things into prospective, the last time this has happened is from 1973-1975!! Venezuela had a very impressive streak from 1983 to 2003, with top 6 placements from 1991-2003!

Brazil fails to place for the first time since 2010! The country recorded 10 straight placements since hosting the pageant in 2011.

Thailand fails to place for the first time since 2014! The Asian powerhouse recorded six top 10 placements in 2015-2020 (three of them being top 5/6 placements).

Only two Europeans made the semifinals, interestingly, both made the semifinals in the 2020 edition earlier this year.

Only one African made the top 16 this year.

Five Asians made the top 16 this year - interestingly, the semifinalists did not contain the two usual Asian suspects in recent years - Thailand and Indonesia.

The eight semifinalists were dominated by the ladies from the Americas.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Correct me if Iím wrong, but since The Bahamas placed, the country that currently holds the longest record for not ever placing at Miss Universe is MALTA. Malta competed since 1968. Iím not too sure about the non active countries that once competed at Miss Universe.

Author:
Samuel
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:28:46 12/18/21 Sat

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> Subject: Great trivia. I also think it is interesting that the last three Miss Universe winners all gave their country their third win.

Author:
PF-Indy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:06:44 12/18/21 Sat

[> Subject: The only Miss USA winner that I have liked in the last few years was Deshauna Barber. Otherwise, I have not liked one since Erin Brady. I have been so underwhelmed by the Miss USA winners. This year's rep is growing on me

Author:
Declan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03:34:56 12/19/21 Sun

[> Subject: If you became interested in pageants during the 21st century, our MUSAís lack of success at MU may not mean anything. BUT for this pageant fan, who began their interest with Sylvia's 1967 Universe win, the USAís placement drought is unforgivable. The heartache of 1976 has been replaced with indifference toward our recent lack of success. Miss USA has every service available to them: coaches, fashion, makeup, interview, etc. I can only surmise it's the lack of inner effort to become MU. Let a recent MUSA tell Hayek or Fichtner the prizes are similar or that theyíre tired. Iíd love to hear their response. Ha!

Author:
OldFan-NewName-1
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:22:02 12/19/21 Sun

[> Subject: Venezuela always turns it up in swimsuit. she was one of the best performers, even Carson mentioned her first. She should have made Top 10 at least.

Author:
alfonsogomes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:00:24 12/19/21 Sun

AG

[> [> Subject: I thought she stood out in prelims and finals. Her walk and turn was good. I think what likely left her out was her height, she lacked some height and flare to her performance (and it didnít help that she went after Paraguay and Philippines). But, I thought she shouldíve advanced over Aruba (even though she did ok actually) and The Bahamas (she did good too).

Author:
Samuel
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:49:40 12/21/21 Tue

[> [> Subject: 2022 New Queens from KANSAS and WISCONSIN

Author:
Samcnovr
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:21:37 05/09/22 Mon

MISS KANSAS USA 2022 IS ELYSE NOE.
MISS WISCONSIN 2022 IS HOLLIS BROWN.

Congrats to both of you. 😍

[> Subject: Other interesting trivia - NONE OF THE reigning TOP THREE countries made the semifinals in the 70th edition. The last time the previous top 3 was shut off was 2010!! And the host delegate fails to place for the first time since 2013! Indonesia fails to place as they didnít compete this year and other streaks that broke include Mexico, Peru, and Dominican Republic

Author:
Samuel
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:59:30 12/21/21 Tue

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.