VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 08:14:39 10/15/09 Thu
Author: Gary
Subject: Walther Niemann & Wolfgang Gluszczewski

Walther Niemann: I first met him in Stuggart in the mid 60s. He and Karl Remy came into the Rio bar where the Torquays were playing and soon gave us the "Monk pitch." We bought it. History will tell you that. As time went on and I was able to sort out my feelings about these young, upstart Germany guys and the rest of their management team (Kicki & Guenther Aulich), it didn't take long to zero in on Walther as the one I could talk to easiest. He was patient and quiet when Remy was impatient and forceful. Walther did his best to understand us as individuals. He was interesting to talk with and he always had constructive things to say. In the end, when the management team disintegrated, Walther Niemann was the only one who kept coming to the Monks with constructive and timely advice. He was a prince and a sweet, sweet man. I spoke with him quite often in recent years and met with himn in Gelhausen, Germany in 2006 and he continued to be a pillar of sound advice and support as we discussed a future project. He was my mentor, he was my teacher, he was my friend. Long live the memory of Walther Niemann. The world is a poorer placy without him. He was a kind and caring person. Walther Niemann, I will miss you very much.

Wolfgang Gluszczewski: In the last year or so of the Monk existence, our management team attempted to solve the cash flow problems the Monks were having by taking on a booking agent. His name was Wolfgang Gluszczewki. The Monks were in a funny position, we were very well known in Germany and Scandinavia but it was hard to make a living playing the few serious gigs that came our way. Wolfgang came to help solve that problem plus he arrived with a sidekick (Volker)who turned out to be a great driver and road manager sort of fellow.. a great person in his own right. We quickly came to know Wolfgang as a very good booking agent and a fellow with a terrific sense of humor. He often traveled with us or showed up at our venues with enthusiasm and a clear sense of support for the Monks. He quickly became a Monk favorite and another good person we could turn to with our problems. When he came to the Monk family our real work began. He booked many, many one-nighters and we often found ourselves traveling many miles everyday to meet these booking obligations. It was a lifesaver as we found ourselves with a bit more jingle in our pockets but it was also stressful and tiring. Wolfgang was always optimistic and supportive. He was a fine person and his passing saddens me. I have the consolation that he was able to see the Monks playing at the Volksbuhne in Berlin in 2006. That was a most memorable reunion for all of us involved: The Monks Polydor producer - Jimmy Bowien, Manager Walther Niemann and Wolfgang Gluszczewski with his lovely wife Anni were all in attendance. It was like a lovely homecoming for all of us and it is sad that both Walther, Wolfgang, Dave Day and Roger Johnston are no longer with us to make and enjoy Monk music. Their memories will live long with me. Peace to all.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (required):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-11
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.