VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123[4]5678 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 04:00:39 11/07/06 Tue
Author: Will Shade
Subject: Re: Monks movie
In reply to: Colonel Boggs Maroley 's message, "Re: Monks movie" on 11:52:05 11/06/06 Mon

The thing that's so cool about The Monks is that they can be all things to all people. To simplify, me thinks - and I could be wrong - to Gary The Monks are a rock 'n' roll band... he capitalizes the name (and I'm of this school to tell you the truth) whereas Eddie thinks they're an art/philosophical movement (I love the concept, but I'd rather listen to "Complication" than Cage or Stockhausen any day) and doesn't capitalize the name... I've read an interview with Dietmar where he compared them to the Bauhaus movement... typical pretentious Euro babble in my opinion, but it's so cool that somebody can force a rock 'n' roll band into that pigeonhole... he bridles at the fact that they're often called a "garage band" but that's certainly where they've found their niche audience in the last 15 years and to slight the "garage" crowd does the fans an injustice since that's who's given the band a second bid at fame - the "garage" subculture... a friend of mine who owns a record label doesn't think of The Monks as either - to him, they're just a novelty act in the vein of Napoleon XIV, a view that would probably make both Dietmar and I incensed... I haven't seen the flick, but the thought of seeing Roger preserved forever on celluloid as cleaning the church where he lived disheartens me a bit... although I knew Roger and had long phone conversations with him about books (we exchanged books throught the mail often) he was always larger than life to me... a legend... I cringe at the thought of folks seeing him with a cleaning cloth even though that's reality... there's too much reality these days... I want my legends left intact... but I'll see the flick later and hope I'm wrong...

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

Forum timezone: GMT-11
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.