VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345[6]78 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 11:20:37 08/10/05 Wed
Author: Will Shade
Subject: Nevermore

Besides my obsession with the Monks and the Yardbirds, I'm also gaga over Mike & The Ravens... their two CD set, "Nevermore: Plattsburgh '62 & Beyond" is out on Bacchus Archives... available at amazon.com or dionysusrecords.com. The Monks Gary Burger weighs in with his reaction to the album:

Right away I can see my 56 Ford convertible, hear the clatter of pins falling in a bowling alley and taste A&W Rootbeer served through my car window by a cute high school girl in a short dress. I can see my 11th grade girlfriend with a petticoat making her dress flare around her like an upside down parachute as she walks down the school hallway. I can taste her kiss as we make out in City Park with the car radio on after dark pushing, pushing the limits but never getting to that final point. She was, after all, a nice girl. I remember the juvenile fights in the parking lot of our favorite Saturday night dancehall that always was over a girl and never quite settled the issue. Oh well, there was always next Saturday night to do it all over again. I can smell the burnt rubber from our tires as we tore off from a standing start drag race on Irvine Avenue with a sharp eye out for the cops who truly never managed to catch us. I understand now that it was music like this that tweaked my first interest in playing guitar. Is it Buddy Holly, is it the Ventures, is it the Wailers or is it all of them and more? Yes, thatís the answer. Much of it drenched in cool, memory filled archaic reverb but still right in my face. Song after song of memory filled words and sounds. It would be stupid of me to pick a favorite. All cuts have quality. This is a cool album and should be at the attention of all serious collectors and people like myself who just need to trip back every now and then. Nevermore will make you cry, laugh and remember. - Gary Burger, guitarist/singer for '60s uber-beat pioneers The Monks

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

Forum timezone: GMT-11
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.