VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345[6]78 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 11:21:59 08/10/05 Wed
Author: Jesus Wept
Subject: Re: Nevermore
In reply to: Will Shade 's message, "Nevermore" on 11:20:37 08/10/05 Wed

Bill Kennedy, guitarist for the legendary Twiliters, also kicks in his reaction/memories of Mike & The Ravens:

I first heard the Mike and the Ravens on a live broadcast from Rollerland. A skating rink in Plattsburgh, NY. They ran a Sunday afternoon dance. Usually with a couple of bands. Sometimes a name act came in. Usually a couple of hours of it were broadcast live. On the radio they sounded like a train wreck. Nothing like I had ever heard before. Disjointed, loud and frantic. But somehow it worked. Lots of personality. Mike Bassard was a great MC and front man. About two weeks later I went to see them and was blown away. They had black suits on. White shirts, skinny little ties. Steven Blodget was playing a sunburst fender strat, full blast. Hair all over the place, jerking around like he had Saint Vidas dance. Mike was bathed in sweat. I walked in as they began Twist and shout. They played it about 600 miles per hour. It was that afternoon that I first heard Rollerland. It was written by Steven Blodgett and I was floored by it. They were as close to the Beatles, as an American band could be. Except they were before the Beatles were heard of in this country... Looking back at Mike and the Ravens now, I can say that they were the band that should have made it out of the North Country. They had a goofy "I don't give a shit" stage personally that made you instantly like them. They wrote and performed their own music complete with back ground vocals. They released several records on the same label as the Twiliters. The recordings however seemed too clean for them. The Ravens on stage and the Ravens on vinyl were two different bands. But Mike and Steve could write stuff. Somebody sent me a CD of their recordings recently. They appear to be studio masters. On one cut you can hear Mike yell, "How much time do we have?" A voice from a intercom answers and then there is some mumbling and the most beautiful rendition of Mike and Steve's "Living in a dream" comes on. Apparently one take, vocals background an all. It brought tears to my old eyes it was so beautiful. Damn , I wish I could have written stuff like that.- Wild Bill Kennedy, guitarist/singer for '60s garage legends, The Twiliters

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

• Re: Nevermore -- Will Shade, 11:48:31 08/24/05 Wed

Forum timezone: GMT-11
    VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
    Before posting please read our privacy policy.
    VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
    Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.