VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123456[7]8 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 15:18:58 02/16/03 Sun
Author: Steve Yates
Subject: Re: hey eddie..
In reply to: adam 's message, "hey eddie.." on 02:58:59 01/13/03 Mon

I also first discovered The Monks by hearing the Fall's version, but I only managed to track down a copy of Black Monk Time quite recently. I'm really looking forward to getting Five Upstart Americans and Let's Start a Beat, thankfully they seem easier to find than BMT.

Personally I don't think Black Monk Theme on Extricate shows the Fall at their best. It isn't one of my favourite Fall tracks, but it's such a strange and intriguing song that I had to find out more. Now that I've finally heard the real thing I don't think Mark E Smith did the Monks justice, they're still in a league of their own.

Maybe the Fall would have done a better job back in the 70s & early 80s, I can definitely hear the Monk's influence on their early songs. I like the Fall's more recent albums, but there was much more energy and power in their early releases and that's something a Monks song needs IMO. The Fall's live versions of I Hate You and Shut Up are meant to be a lot better, but unfortunately I haven't heard them.

It's nice to see so much about the Monks online, they deserve recognition for their great contribution to rock music.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Forum timezone: GMT-11
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.