VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234567[8] ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 22:49:30 04/08/01 Sun
Author: Alexander Schuth
Subject: Banjoooooooooooooooooo
In reply to: dave day 's message, "cavestomp 99." on 19:23:03 04/04/01 Wed

Dear Dave,

from what the other kids wrote you see that what you gave them live and on record sure pleased them.

As to whether or not your playing that night was softish or not, I guess none of the people who replied until now can really answer that. They haven't seen you chop away happily back then (well, maybe on the tv show bootleg videos). None who have seen you live then have been at Cavestomp, either, I guess. None, besides the other Monks. Maybe any of them can say a word in response to your question. Or you guys discus that next time you meet for practice.
Or you ask if there are any old fans around next time the Monks are on stage, and ask them.

I don't know if I said it before on this here board, but I have played selections from Let's Start A Beat on the radio here in Frankfurt on Radio X (www.radiox.de - and played all of BMT and the demo, one song after another, over a period of half a year last year), and received no complaints, either. Some of my colleagues here at superstar even go so far as to say they liked BMT better than 5 Upstarts, because it sounded 'fuller'. And the very same people now like the live recording best, because it is very much in your face, has a rich, full sound, and is just plain beautiful (not as in smooth or slick, as The Standells' Cavestomp-CD sounds in comparison). No, it's raw, but in a very generous and raw way, not the least due to the gorgeously chopping sound of one D. Day's banjo.

Which doesn't answer at all your question on the topic of "Did I play different or what" (well, but it answers: Was it good for us...). There are some things that change in time - the instrument and the artist. I vaintly remember to have read somewhere (old forum?) that you don't play the same banjo that you had then. Also, your technique may have changed, as you have more experience now. Or there may be other influences; I had an interview with Scotty Moore (Scotty Moore!!!! From the Blue Moon Boys!!! Elvis' first band, first guitar player, first manager!!!!! The Sun recordings!!!!!!) last year, and he had taken a break of like two dozen years from playing guitar. Also he had developed athritis in his hand. I asked him if this had changed his playing - Scotty answered something to the extent that whatever his fingers lack in speed these days, he's making up through technique. And the show he had played the night before proved his point.

Dunno if my gibberish helped a bit, I hope so.

Best wishes from Elvis Presley-Stadt, Germany,

Alexander

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

Forum timezone: GMT-11
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.