>
VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234[5]6789 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 18:29:20 08/03/07 Fri
Author: Hobb Gobblin
Subject: And that makes it all ok?
In reply to: Anita Lei 's message, "Don't be such a dick. At the top of the home page it says "Gossip, Speculation and more about your favorite celebrities". Rumors. Speculation. That what this site is for. If you hav a problem with that I'll be happy to show you the exit." on 21:27:56 07/25/07 Wed

Just because a board states that it is about speculatiopn and gossip does not mean that it's ok to trash people.

If it said this is a board for pedophiles to come and post comments about what underage child they like, or it stated that this is a place for disgruntled employees to post anything they like about their boss, would that somehow be perfectly ok? Obviously not.

But stating that someone is gay because they are well known is ok because the board SAYS it's about speculation and gossip?? How do you rationalize that?

The fact that this board exists amazes me. I love free speech. And it's a wonderful thing to be able to be free to express OPINIONS. The reality is that under the cloak of not having to be accountable people can make all sorts of claims here and then step back and watch the catfights.

One fine day I hope there is a test case where the really vicious individuals who simply live to cause hurt will be held accountable for their words. You habe the right to free speech, but you do not have the right to scream "FIRE!" in a crowded theatre. It's my OPINION that you also do not have the RIGHT to state that someone is gay unless it is true. And even if it IS true, what's your point? I heard so and so is gay! Well, whoop dee doo. So what?

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> [> [> [> Dude, I'm sorry you went off your meds. Again, since when is it trashing someone's life to speculate that they're gay? Give me a break! You sound like you have some serious issues to deal with. Perhaps this board isn't for you since you have such a hard time dealing with the gay world. Get some counseling, get some better meds and just get a grip. There is nothing wrong with being gay or suggesting someone else is. -- Oscar Rayman Wilde, 20:13:16 08/03/07 Fri

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> Yanking yer chain -- Wayne Newton, 22:11:23 08/03/07 Fri

It doesn't take much to yank some people's chains. Whynot just ignore it? You're feeding right into where he/she/it wants you to go. You're being a bigger dick by your hateful comments. If you feel you must answer, leave out the personal attacks. That's just provoking. Ignore and maybe it will stop. Just a thought.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> You still need to get real, sugar. -- Dolly Parton, 15:27:46 08/04/07 Sat

[[Just because a board states that it is about speculatiopn and gossip does not mean that it's ok to trash people.]]

OK. So, who's trashing people here (besides you trashing the people who post here, I mean--because I'm assuming you weren't talking about yourself)? Merely observing that Famous Person X appears to be gay doesn't amount to trashing him/her.

[[If it said this is a board for pedophiles to come and post comments about what underage child they like,]]

Uh, no. Pedophilia, the last time I checked at least, was illegal in all fifty states plus the District of Columbia. So that's not a valid analogy. Try again.

[[or it stated that this is a place for disgruntled employees to post anything they like about their boss,]]

Another invalid analogy. My boss isn't a famous person. Almost everyone who is gossiped about here is famous, noted, etc., by his or her own choice.

[[ would that somehow be perfectly ok? Obviously not.]]

As I noted, you need better analogies. Neither of the ones you presented works.

[[But stating that someone is gay because they are well known is ok because the board SAYS it's about speculation and gossip?? How do you rationalize that?]]

No, it's OK because (1) the person is well known, and people who put themselves in the spotlight open themselves up to a certain degree of loss of privacy (sorry, but I think the courts agree with me here--within reason, of course) and (2) almost everyone who is posted about here embraces being gossiped about--so long as it's heterosexual gossip. Sorry, they can't have it both ways. Someone who consistently sued tabloids, etc., over ANY mention whatsoever might have a case that he/she didn't deserve to be gossiped about on a site speculating about people's sexual preferences. Otherwise, no, sorry. Either you want publicity or you don't--but you don't get to pick and choose which you want and which you don't.

[[The fact that this board exists amazes me. I love free speech. And it's a wonderful thing to be able to be free to express OPINIONS.]]

Great. I'm glad you agree that I have every right to get on here and express my opinion that Famous Person X is gay--because that's all that goes on here. It's all that POSSIBLY COULD go on here--how on earth would any kind of solid proof of ANYTHING be posted on a board like this?

[[The reality is that under the cloak of not having to be accountable people can make all sorts of claims here and then step back and watch the catfights.]]

Nobody's making any solid claims here, that I can see. Even if somebody thinks he/she has "proof" of somebody's sexuality, how on earth would you present it here, on this board? Anybody on here could be making up absolutely anything that he/she might choose to post in the way of "proof." I'm not sure what would constitute "proof" of somebody's sexuality anyway, but I'm sure it isn't to be found anywhere on this board.

By the way, what do the catfights among the posters here have to do with your argument the existence of this board is harming the people who are being posted about?

[[One fine day I hope there is a test case where the really vicious individuals who simply live to cause hurt will be held accountable for their words.]]

I do too. There are so many people causing genuine harm in the world, deliberately. They're not doing it on this board, however.

[[You habe the right to free speech, but you do not have the right to scream "FIRE!" in a crowded theatre.]]

OK. So, tell me again what that's got to do with posting on a board that's devoted to gossip/speculation about people's sexual preferences? You don't have the right to scream "FIRE" in a crowded theater because of the imminent harm that doing so will present to the lives of the other people in the theater. Tell me again how what gets posted here is going to cause the imminent deaths of the people who are being posted about, because I'm not really clear on that.

[[It's my OPINION that you also do not have the RIGHT to state that someone is gay unless it is true.]]

All right. It's your OPINION that we don't have the right to do what we're doing here. There are millions and millions of people whose OPINION it is that I don't have the RIGHT to love somebody of my own gender. The fact that they hold that OPINION doesn't make them any more right than you are--thankfully.

[[And even if it IS true, what's your point? I heard so and so is gay! Well, whoop dee doo. So what?]]

Exactly. Thank you for so eloquently proving my point. By your own admission, the subject matter of this board is no big deal, and the opinions posted here are inconsequential; they prove nothing concrete and make no difference. How, then, can the board be harming anyone who is the subject of a posting here?

I think that's checkmate, my friend. You obviously feel very strongly about this, but the strength of your emotion seems to have made it difficult for you to support your opinion cogently. There may be an argument to be made that this board and the kind of gossip/speculation that goes on here are harmful--but if such an argument does exist, you haven't made it. You can continue to state as often as you wish that this board is harmful and the people who post here are awful people, but simply stating an opinion doesn't make it the truth. Until you can come up with a more convincing argument, yours isn't, I'm afraid, a very persuasive opinion.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> Time in a bottle -- Inspector Gadgett, 11:11:46 03/04/10 Thu

Wow...a whole lot of effort and time spent on nada.

Hope you feel better now. A rum and Coke would have done a lot better job and would have left you with a sweet taste in your mouth. Now all you have is jizz and bitterness.

[ Edit | View ]

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.