VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123[4] ]
Subject: IGt double diamond lights up no reel spin

Author:
rick
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 22:15:21 02/14/09 Sat

Bought this machine at estate sale..basically the machine lights up but the reels do not spin and the credit and Pay lines do not lite up with red text. The guy also lost the main key so the company orginallynsold to is sending him another key. I have no idea on how to start with this one.. I am use to seeing error codes and now I have lights but no display. Please help

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: IGt double diamond lights up no reel spin

Author:
Jeremy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03:05:24 02/15/09 Sun

Sounds like an MPU, Motherboard, or Power supply problem. I would begin by making sure the MPU is seated all the way in, and no pins are bent. Since it has been moved around the MPU may have worked loose. If this doesnít work then take a look at the Motherboard, there is a plug for power that supplies the MPU and the Motherboard. Sometimes the plug can go bad or the Motherboard will have a loose solder joint on one of the pins. This is also where you can check the power supply to see if it is bad. Download the S-plus PE-plus manual from the download section here http://www.npgcable.com/~aranger for correct Voltage. Post whatever you find and then Iíll be able to help more.
PS: I am assuming this is an S-plus machine

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Re: IGt double diamond lights up no reel spin

Author:
rick
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:24:19 02/15/09 Sun

>thank you soo much..the machine is from 1991 its in amazing shape.. What about the power supply harness ? That hard to check..? I will keep you posted.

Thanks again
rick

Sounds like an MPU, Motherboard, or Power supply
>problem. I would begin by making sure the MPU is
>seated all the way in, and no pins are bent. Since it
>has been moved around the MPU may have worked loose.
>If this doesnít work then take a look at the
>Motherboard, there is a plug for power that supplies
>the MPU and the Motherboard. Sometimes the plug can go
>bad or the Motherboard will have a loose solder joint
>on one of the pins. This is also where you can check
>the power supply to see if it is bad. Download the
>S-plus PE-plus manual from the download section here
> >href="http://www.npgcable.com/~aranger">http://www.npgc
>able.com/~aranger
for correct Voltage. Post
>whatever you find and then Iíll be able to help more.
>PS: I am assuming this is an S-plus machine

Author:
Jeremy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:36:25 02/15/09 Sun

Checking the power supply harness should be easy enough by following the wiring connections. The main wiring connection from the power supply to the Motherboard is the main one to pay attention to. The power supplies for the PE-Plus and S-Plus rarely go bad; although, it is possible.
By the way did you check the fuses for the power supply?

Author:
Re
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:44:55 02/26/09 Thu

>ok so I finally got the keys in the mail...few things I noticed was that the coin comparitor is an older style and I don't see a spot to put a quarter in for compare size. Next you were a 100% right top and middle fuses are burnt out could that be causing the display not to work. LOL now were do I find the top fuse its a 6 amp 24 vac and middle fuse is 8 amp 8 vac.. And do you think that would do the trick ..? Also my concern is y both went any ideas?
Thank you sooooo much for all your help!

Checking the power supply harness should be easy
>e

nough by following the wiring connections. The main
>wiring connection from the power supply to the
>Motherboard is the main one to pay attention to. The
>power supplies for the PE-Plus and S-Plus rarely go
>bad; although, it is possible.
>By the way did you check the fuses for the power
>supply?

Author:
Jeremy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:22:06 02/27/09 Fri

I am unsure why they blew out, but they defiantly need to be replaced. Iím sure you can get new ones at radio shack or electronic part store. Replace the fusesí and check to see if they blow out again. Let me know how it goes.
PS: Check for loose change in the machine, change often gets out of the hopper and will blow fuses by shorting something out.

Author:
rick
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:27:38 02/27/09 Fri

Hi,

Again your right.. LOL

There was a ton of change in the machine i spent all of last night fishing out coins in places i would have never had thought existed... they were on and under the boards in the machine hindges.. could not believe it.

I am having a hard time finding a fuse locally so will prob have to order online. Stand by.. I'll be back... :)

Author:
rick
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:14:02 02/27/09 Fri

OK replaced the fuses...machine top attendant lights come on and so does display. Shows 12. Now i see every where that has to do with voltage in battery but in the manauals you have online. One of them mentions coin comparitor. My coin compartor on this machine is like one i have not seen on more rent machines and it mentions 12 could be that error. How do i load a coin into this one..? The other ones i never have a problem with as they are black plastic. This one appears to have a brass plate with a square weight vertically.

Also if you think its the volt can i just do a jackpot key reset and see if that resets the error code. Like i said the machine was off a while so it just may need to juice up again.?

Thanks and sorry for all the issues..

>I am unsure why they blew out, but they defiantly need
>to be replaced. Iím sure you can get new ones at radio
>shack or electronic part store. Replace the fusesí and
>check to see if they blow out again. Let me know how
>it goes.
>PS: Check for loose change in the machine, change
>often gets out of the hopper and will blow fuses by
>shorting something out.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: IGt double diamond lights up no reel spin

Author:
rick
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:25:15 02/27/09 Fri

see message above here is the link for the coin comparitor issue i may be having in my machine..never seen this before..does a quarter go in this thing..?

http://www.kingssupply.com/item154.htm

>OK replaced the fuses...machine top attendant lights
>come on and so does display. Shows 12. Now i see
>every where that has to do with voltage in battery but
>in the manauals you have online. One of them mentions
>coin comparitor. My coin compartor on this machine is
>like one i have not seen on more rent machines and it
>mentions 12 could be that error. How do i load a coin
>into this one..? The other ones i never have a
>problem with as they are black plastic. This one
>appears to have a brass plate with a square weight
>vertically.
>
>Also if you think its the volt can i just do a jackpot
>key reset and see if that resets the error code. Like
>i said the machine was off a while so it just may need
>to juice up again.?
>
>Thanks and sorry for all the issues..
>
>
>>I am unsure why they blew out, but they defiantly need
>>to be replaced. Iím sure you can get new ones at radio
>>shack or electronic part store. Replace the fusesí and
>>check to see if they blow out again. Let me know how
>>it goes.
>>PS: Check for loose change in the machine, change
>>often gets out of the hopper and will blow fuses by
>>shorting something out.

Author:
Jeremy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:43:19 02/27/09 Fri

The ď12Ē tilt error is a low battery and will need to be replaced. The battery is located on the MPU, and in soldered on the MPU. After the battery is replaced you will get a ď61Ē tilt, hold the white self-test switch inside the machine for two or three seconds than close the door and turn the reset key . Once in a while options will be lost, and need to be set backup (mainly the bill validator) with a Set-Chip. (A tilt code ď12Ē has nothing to do with the coin mechanism)

The coin mechanism you have I have never seen used with a PE or S-Plus games. I am not saying it is not possible that some earlier models may have come with a coin mechanism, but I have never seen a PE or S-Plus game with one. All PE and S-Plus games I have seen have come with a coin comparitor; either, a CC-16 for lower denominations like nickels or quarters, or CC-33 and CC-37 for tokens. The fortune 1 and 2 games where the last time Iíve seen IGT use coin mechanisms.

I would begin with fixing the battery and then go from there.

Author:
Jeremy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:46:08 02/27/09 Fri

PS: coin mechanisms donít need a coin inserted. They are setup to take only one denomination.

Author:
rick
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:55:44 02/28/09 Sat

What are the steps for mpu Never done that one before and don't wanna t wanna mess up. Kinda looks like a big job lots of connections and wires....?

>PS: coin mechanisms donít need a coin inserted. They
>are setup to take only one denomination.

Author:
Jeremy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:39:03 02/28/09 Sat

The MPU is on a metal tray that slides in and out. It depends on what kind of cabinet you have as to where it is located. With the power off simply slide it out by pulling on it. Once it is out the battery will be on the board and soldered in. There is only one battery on the MPU so it is easy to spot. You can order the battery through any number of companies such as Happs http://www.happcontrols.com .
I am unsure of your electronics background, but changing out the battery is a very easy job. You will obviously need a soldering iron, nothing expensive a cheap 20 dollar radio shack solder iron will work.
The main things to watch out for will be.

1. Sometimes there is a latch holding the MPU in that needs to be slid aside.
2. Be sure to order the correct battery.
3. When you solder the batter back in be sure to put positive to positive and negative to negative.
4. Watch out when sliding the MPU in and out not to bend any pins on the MPU (this is very important).
5. If your machine has a bill validator sometimes Set-Chips will be needed. (Most likely you will not need the Set-Chips for a battery replacement).
6. After replacing the battery you will get a ď61Ē tilt. Hold the Self-Test switch inside the machine for three seconds, than close the door, and turn the Reset-Key on the outside of the machine.

If you havenít already, download the IGT manual I have posted for the S-Plus PE-Plus machines in the download section http://www.npgcable.com/~aranger . If you find this to confusing I have tried to simplify it with an EBook http://www.lulu.com/content/2527371 that may help.

Author:
rick
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:50:51 02/28/09 Sat

Thanks so much.. Wish me luck!

Its those little hints about latch type things and being carful of the prongs is what i am concenred about so thank you for telling me. I know the stuff can handle abuse but that stuff is sensative i just want to get this thing goign already.

Thanks again..

-Rick

Author:
Rick
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:08:15 03/08/09 Sun

UPDATE***

Ok so i finally got the battery in there this morning.

Machine powered up and then threw a code 61. I held the reset button for 3+ seconds and then let it be.. closed the door nothing open the door closed it again nothing. Turned the machine off then on..and now i have a code 41... what the heck is that. I opened the door and closed it turned the jackpot reset key for the heck of it and it showed very quickly a 5___1 that went away and the 41 appeared again.. what is the issue NOW.. i am so frustrated. Please help me out again...... Thank you Rick

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: IGt double diamond lights up no reel spin

Author:
Rick
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:33:07 03/08/09 Sun

No idea how it cleared but now have a 3100 code error..something about coin. How do i clear that one now..OMG this is a never ending saga.

>UPDATE***
>
>Ok so i finally got the battery in there this morning.
>
>Machine powered up and then threw a code 61. I held
>the reset button for 3+ seconds and then let it be..
>closed the door nothing open the door closed it again
>nothing. Turned the machine off then on..and now i
>have a code 41... what the heck is that. I opened the
>door and closed it turned the jackpot reset key for
>the heck of it and it showed very quickly a 5___1 that
>went away and the 41 appeared again.. what is the
>issue NOW.. i am so frustrated. Please help me out
>again...... Thank you Rick

Author:
rick
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:02:22 03/08/09 Sun

ok so it appears that for older igt machines 3100 also means coins are low. Fixed that and now it went back to code 41.

Before it went to 41 teh reels spinned super slow almost minimal doing a guess an aligment test. They didn't even do a full rotation just minimally moved. Then the code 41 appeared again. What does this mean again..what items should i mess with.

Author:
rick
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:33:47 03/08/09 Sun

ok see full email above it now went back to 3100.. is it not coins...?

>ok so it appears that for older igt machines 3100 also
>means coins are low. Fixed that and now it went back
>to code 41.
>
>Before it went to 41 teh reels spinned super slow
>almost minimal doing a guess an aligment test. They
>didn't even do a full rotation just minimally moved.
>Then the code 41 appeared again. What does this mean
>again..what items should i mess with.

Author:
Jeremy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:17:24 03/08/09 Sun

It seems as though the machine has more problems than a low battery. After changing the battery and holding the inside button for three second always close the door, and then turn the reset key outside the machine. I think you missed the last step, but somehow cleared the ď61Ē tilt which is good.

A ď3100Ē tilt is an extra coin paid out. Unless you somehow got the game playing and cashed out it sounds like the coin out optic has problems. The coin out optic is located on the hopper at the point where the coins exit the machine. Sometimes they get dirty and need to be blown out making sure there is no debris blocking it. Also check the coin out optic wire harness for any cuts and that it is plugged in good, and the green ground wire is properly grounded.

A ď41Ē tilt is the first reel. This can be the reel, MPU or the wiring. A quick way to narrow it down is to swap the reel around and see if the problem follows the reel.
To do this power down the machine unplug reel one and two pull the reels out by pulling on them (be sure the mark the reels so that you can put them back in the correct place). Put reel one in slot two and reel two in slot one (swap them). If you get a ď42Ē tilt then the problem followed the reel and something is wrong with the reel. If the problem doesnít follow the reel and stay on a ď41Ē tilt then there is a MPU or wiring problem.

Be sure not to mix up the reels by marking them first. Deferent versions of S-Plus games had deferent wiring plus for the reels. Most have a plug at the bottom that needs unplugged before the reel can come out. Some had a plug that you could just slide the reel in and out.

Tilt ď41Ē is first reel ď42Ē second reel ď43Ē third reel.

One thing to mention is that many times people new to plugging in an MPU sometimes bend the pins when they slide it in. this can cause odd errors and problems. I would examine the MPU pins with a flashlight, and be sure there are no bent pins.

Author:
rick
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:02:06 03/08/09 Sun

ok so i swaped the reels.
Took reel one and put it in the second spot. Put reel 2 and put it in the 1st spot. re plugged the wiring harness right back up. and received an error 41. just before the 41 error i got a 3100 coin 2 error open closed the door it went away and got the 41 again.

So i should check the mpu..? what exactly am i look for..did they maybe not seat all the way should i push down on the board again..?

Author:
Rick
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:26:28 03/08/09 Sun

also now check the mother board and not a single bent pin but when i checked the coin optic on the hopper it literally just snaped. Almost like it was dry rotted. i taped it back but now i just keep getting a code 3100 flashing blank then the number 1.

I have never encouter anythine like this..with a machine before normally they are quick fixes.. amazing.

Author:
Jeremy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:34:30 03/08/09 Sun

First I would check the MPU for any bent pins (it is easy to bend the MPU pins). Take the MPU out and look at the plug with all the small pins that slide into the Motherboard for any bent pins. Sometimes they are hard to spot since they are small. Use a flash light a closely examine each one. If one is bent use a pair of needle nose pliers to straighten them back into place. Be careful not to break them if they are bent. I have often examined MPUís for bent pins, and completely missed one because there are so many, and small. So take your time.

It is possible that the MPU is not all the way in, but if a pin is bent it will only make it worse if you try to push it in more.

It is also possible that the MPU has a bad reel driver chip, but since you are having other problems I would start here. It is very common problem for people new to pushing in an MPU to bend the pins or not seat it in properly.

At this point at least you know it is not the reel itself so the problem is either the wiring or the most likely an MPU problem.

Author:
Jeremy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:52:59 03/08/09 Sun

Looks like I posted the same time you did. If the pins on the MPU are good than the MPU probably has a bad reel driver chip. It also could be a wiring problem.

The coin out optic will have to be replaced if it snapped.

Sounds like you did a good job replacing the battery, but unfortunately the machine seems to have had more problems before the dead battery. These problems may be a bit harder to fix, but are not that hard. The main thing will be getting the parts and possibly key-chips if you have to replace the MPU. If your machine doesnít have a Bill Acceptor ,than you wonít need key-chips.

Author:
rick
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:14:11 03/08/09 Sun

HI,

Thanks again for all your help I really appreciate it.

I was able to fix the coin optic for now with some tape and alumin foil. It got me past the 3100 error and now back to the 41 code error.

What do i need to do/buy now at this point..? I don't have a bill validator.(thank goodness on this machine!) So where do i start? One last thing on the reels..can i just unplug the wires on reels one and two and switch them if they reach and see what happens or could i short something out..?

At this point now i am completly clueless and need all the help i can get.. :)

Author:
Jeremy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:47:46 03/08/09 Sun

Wow, you fixed the coin-out optics thatís good. If all the pins are good on the MPU than you have a wiring or MPU problem. Switching the plugs on the reels is the same as swapping them out, so this wonít help. The wiring is most likely not the problem, but as these machines age it can become a problem. Visually check the wiring and the pins that go into the reels to see if any are loose.

The most likely problem is the MPU. The MPU has a reel driver chip soldered onto the board for each reel. Unless you have electronic board experience then this will be hard to replace and diagnose. You can read through the S-Plus manual I have posted to see if you think you can do it. The best way is probably to find another MPU somewhere that is good. The main chips will have to be taken out of the old MPU and placed into the new board. These chips are not soldered in so it is not hard. Since you donít have A BV you will not need the key-chips to set the game back up, so thatís good.

Author:
Rick
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:47:51 03/09/09 Mon

oh boy.. this is great.

Amazing the machine is sooo clean it floors me that i have had so much trouble with it. I have had ones that were rusted through and through and they worked with minor tweaks.

I emailed you a little QT video clip as one last resort so you can see what the reels are doing. Maybe i'll take the board out again and use some compressed air on it. Where are the chips for the reels located on this older style board..?

Author:
Jeremy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:04:19 03/09/09 Mon

IGT made many MPU versions, and each one have the chips placed differently. There is also I/O resisters for each device. If you have no board experience then you should probably order a new MPU. You can try a local slot shop or EBay. Most people seem to have the best luck with EBay. Here is one I found on EBay http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38.l1313&_nkw=S+plus+MPU&_sacat=See-All-Categories .There is also numerous part supply stores online.

It is too bad you donít have another MPU to swap out and be sure it is not the wiring, but it is defiantly pointing toward a bad MPU.

PS: Besides checking the wiring be sure the reels arenít physically touching something when the try to spin. Sometimes when the door is closed, the reels touch the door wires or glass which can cause the same problem.

Author:
Rick
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:24:36 03/14/09 Sat

Ok bought an MPU from Ebay i switched out the chips...and put in the new board. I got a 61 error..i tried hitting the white button 3 seconds and the jackpot key and the Arm went nuts clicking like crazy..threw an 1800 1 code and just clicked like crazy some more. I paniced and just help the jackpot reset key and threw a 9999 code.

What the heck do i do now....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.