VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123[4] ]
Subject: Hopper Will Not Stop

Author:
Josh
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 06:02:46 12/04/08 Thu

Hello I have a 5500 Bally Dollar machine and the hopper will not stop after I hit cash out. The hopper just keeps going and going. I turn it off to do a ram clear..Any ideals..Thanks

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Hopper Will Not Stop

Author:
Jeremy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:52:29 12/04/08 Thu

It is possible that there is a MPU problem but very doubtful. Usually it is the hopper control board located on the hopper itself. The circuit board or hopper control boards are notorious for going bad. Changing it out is straight forward just unplug the board and unscrew the four screws. It may be a good idea to try and locate another hopper control board just to make sure it is bad before buying one, but this is a common problem. Also you may want to write down or take a picture of the board before unplugging it so that another board gets plugged in the same way.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

Author:
Jeremy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:59:03 12/04/08 Thu

By the way does it go into a tilt or just keep running if it goes into a hopper runaway or hopper empty then it may be the coin out optic. If it just keeps running with no tilt then it is most likely the hopper control board.

[> [> Subject: Re: Hopper Will Not Stop

Author:
Josh
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:02:44 12/04/08 Thu

No it goes into tilt. Just like if I cash out with 1 credit it empties the hopper then goes into tilt..Thanks

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Hopper Will Not Stop

Author:
Jeremy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:50:19 12/05/08 Fri

Then itís most likely the coin out optic which is simple to swap out. The coin out optic is on the hopper where the coins exit it tells the machine that coins are leaving and how many have left. When it goes bad the MPU never gets this information and will usually go into a 32 or 31 tilt. You can try cleaning out by blowing on it and getting all the built up dust or grime out, and sometimes they need to be adjusted a bit though not so much with this hopper. Also check the wires from the coin out optic and make sure it is plugged in good and no cuts, if all this fails than it will need to be replaced.

Author:
Jish
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:54:39 12/06/08 Sat

Thanks Jeremy I will report back to let you know..

Author:
Josh
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04:43:29 12/08/08 Mon

Thanks for all your help. I cleaned the optic but it still kept paying till it tilt. I even used a hopper out of a 6000 that I know works but the 5500 kept paying it out also till it tilt. I guess I will check the connection where the hopper plugs in.. What do you think?

Author:
Jeremy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:09:57 12/08/08 Mon

If you checked it with a known good hopper and the same problem happened then that is a strange problem. Did you put coins in the known good hopper when you tried it? The MPU is telling the hopper to turn on for some reason. Maybe the MPU does need a ram clear or is bad. Itís been awhile since I worked on a Ballyís 5500/6000 especially the hoppers everything has been ticket in ticket out for years now. I spent a lot of years working on those machines and hoppers back in the day though and canít remember a problem like that. I know that they would do strange things sometimes and need a RAM clear here are the chip number you would need for the 5500/6000. Trying to find them would be the main problem.

S5500 ME0x0001-9
S6000 S6Sx000CLE04-03

The RAM clear process for the 5500/6000 was the most complicated of all the slot manufactures at the time but shouldnít be too much of a problem. When you have strange problems like this all you can do is use the next logical process of elimination. If you change out the MPU do a RAM clear or find out the problem let me know Iím a bit curious now.

Author:
Josh
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:27:31 12/08/08 Mon

I just put this hopper in another 5500 and it paid out right. I was wondering if my other machine needs a new motherboard or maybe it's the connection where the hopper plugs in. Back to the drawing board. Thanks again

Author:
Jeremy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:30:03 12/09/08 Tue

As I said in the last post this is a strange problem and just has to be worked through logically.

1. The hopper is good so it must be something else.
2. The only thing that sends a signal for the hopper to turn on is the MPU
3. Double check for any shorts or coins that are stuck in the wiring connections.
4. Change out the main power supply at the very back. (This is very unlikely but if you have a spare worth a shot.)
5. The MPU need a RAM clear.
6. The MPU is bad and needs to be replaced and setup.

When strange problems occur all you can do is start going through the steps. I get machines like this left from other techs when they canít figure them out all the time. If you have another machine to start changing out parts logically and eliminating them as the problem then you will have it going in no time. I personally think at this point it need a ram clear or has a bad MPU. Let me know how it goes.

Author:
Josh
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:27:55 12/09/08 Tue

I'll let you know I will have the working machine apart later this week...Thanks for all you help.

Author:
Josh
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:53:50 12/13/08 Sat

Thanks. I figured it out it's the MPU that is bad. Do you know where the hopper control is of the MPU board?

Author:
Jeremy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:58:15 12/16/08 Tue

I canít remember where that was on that MPU at least you know what it is now if I see one for sale some where Iíll let you know.

Author:
Josh
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:18:23 12/16/08 Tue

Thanks JEREMY you been a great help for me solving this..

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.