VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234567[8]910 ]
Subject: Whatever happened to just underwear for a physical exam?

Author:
Joe
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 10:18:24 03/13/10 Sat

I don't understand what happened to guys having to just wear their briefs or underwear for physical exams. When I was 16, I used to have to go to the family physician for exams (this would be 29 years ago--1981), and the nurse would tell me to undress to my shorts. Now suddenly, we're wearing gowns. When it came time for the testicle and genital exam, I would usually slide my briefs down to mid-calf (I usually was examined lying down). I never had the nerve to take them all the way off.

I can understand it for females, but why would males have to wear gowns?? I see a male doctor today for my physicals, and I have to wear a gown. Maybe for a female doctor, but for a male doc?? About when did the trend change? I recall starting to wear gowns about 10-15 years ago.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Whatever happened to just underwear for a physical exam?

Author:
James
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:33:34 03/14/10 Sun

You don't HAVE to wear a gown if you don't want to. If you'd rather just strip down to your underwear, then that's what you should do. If your doctor doesn't like that, then find another doctor. You are the consumer of their services -- it is their job to make you feel more comfortable -- not the other way around.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> Subject: I will never be mistaken for one of the unrealistically hyper-modest

Author:
Who R U
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:33:35 03/14/10 Sun

...so I can only offer this as my best guess:

Hospital-gowns have been on-hand in hospitals for a long time. To the person wearing one & looking down at himself, a gown covers more skin. Maybe some young males in the hyper-modest community WERE less agitated in gowns than they were in just their skivvies. So care-providers guessed this was a good compromise.

If they ordered up enough burquas to give every patient the choice, it would be reflected in everybody's bill. Insurance premiums would rise. More people would stay away until they had to be carried in. So that isn't an attractive option. Hospital gowns seemed to work, even if imperfectly.

Author:
MikeT
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:40:33 03/14/10 Sun

I've never understood this either. I can wear swimming trunks at the beach in front of thousands of strangers, but 1 on 1 in the exam room my entire torso needs to be covered? It seems like an absolute waste, and very silly.

Author:
Tony
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:53:54 03/14/10 Sun

I was wondering the exact same thing. When I was young I never had anything more than my boxers on - often I was nude for quite some time during physicals. Even into my 20s and 30s my physicals were done in my boxers. But somewhere in the 1990s they started telling me to wear a gown - even the same doctor who used to examine me in my boxers. Personally I hate gowns - they are awkward to wear and in my mind, quite silly. I'll try to get up the nerve at my next physical to keep my boxers on and the gown off.

Author:
Jim AWB
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:44:46 03/22/10 Mon

James is right -- you don't have to wear a gown. I never do. The nurse or doc usually doesn't offer me one anyway, but the few times they have, I've told them I'm OK with just my shorts on. No problem, no hassle.

I notice that the nurse, more often these days, doesn't give instructions one way or the other but just says, "The doctor will be with you in a few minutes." As soon as the nurse leaves, I strip down to my boxers. The doc needs to see all of me eventually, so this is a lot more logical and efficient.

[> [> Subject: Female doctors

Author:
Jim AWB
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:29:36 03/23/10 Tue

A quick follow-up. At my summer 2001 physical, I had a female MD examine me -- probably early to middle 30s.

The usual routine -- I had my shoes, shirt, and pants off. I sat on the exam table, reading a book, wearing only my shorts and socks. She came in, shook my hand, and got right to work. I was comfortable with it, and it didn't faze her, either.

So I have full confidence about skipping the gown and leaving my shorts on with a female doc.

[> [> Subject: Re: Whatever happened to just underwear for a physical exam?

Author:
Memphis Bill
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03:40:39 05/31/10 Mon

several ywars ago I went to an older doc, and his nurse told me to slip off my shirt. I asked and she said nothinhg else.
Doc comes in, and I.m gettin close to 40, and its ok, lie back, unbuckle, open, press,...
Now, stand and drop. Here I am, pants and shorts w/ belt, around my ankles,. *koff koff* now, to the end of the table... I almost broke my damn neck!!
The next time, the nurse and I had a chat, and I was just in my briefs.. Doc Schaffer retired a bit after that,...

Author:
Michael
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:21:52 03/22/10 Mon

Depends on the age of the doctor. An older male doctor is more likely to have male patients strip to their underwear and provide no gown. A younger doctor may have been trained to observe more modesty by having the male patient undress completely and wear an exam gown. Having never had a female doctor, I don't know about whether the age of a female doctor would make a difference in how clothed a male patient might be. My current doctor has never provided a gown and simply has me strip to my briefs. I have had other doctors who require male patients to strip completely and wear a gown or strip to underwear and wear a gown.

Author:
Barry
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:21:56 03/23/10 Tue

Joe. I know what you mean. In school it was always strip down to your shorts for a physical. And now its put a gown on. I hate the thing and you usually have to lower or lift it up depending on what is being done to you. I have a female physician and the next time I see her for a physical I,m not going to put the gown on and see what she says.

Author:
Jim A
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:26:07 03/27/10 Sat

My doc is in her late 30's. At my physical the nurse says to get undressed and have a seat on the exam table, hands me a gown and says to leave it open in the back. So everything comes off, and on goes the gown.

During the exam, she starts with eyes, nose, ears, then checks the arteries in my neck. Next she lowers the gown to my waist and listens to my heart and lungs, front and back. I then lay down on the table and she palpates my abdomen moving the gown to just cover my groin area. After that, she raises the gown back up to my shoulders, raises the foot rest and checks my feet and legs.

At this point, the gown is probably more for my benefit because as it is across my lap, from her angle, I'm sure she can probably see everything anyway.

For the last part of the exam, I stand in front of her, and she says to raise the gown so she can check my penis and testicles. Next she says to turn around and put my elbows on the table so my prostate can be checked. At this time the gown falls on the table (still untied in the back) and she usually says that "these things don't do much good for this part". So now I'm bent over the table, nude, while she checks my butt and prostate.

The the last part is done, she says, that's it, and that I can get dressed and she will be back in a little bit. The nurse Is there for the entire exam appears to me to closely observe everything that is going on.

Author:
jean the frenchie
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:34:15 04/08/10 Thu

I want to add some comments.

I live in France and when we are examined by a doctor in his office, he never tell us to put a gown (I don't know if women have a gown but I doubt of that!) it is the sameif you are examined by a doctor in a hospital if you don't stay for one night and have a bed.

The gender of the doctor has no importance, women doctors and men doctors perform the exam the same, but as one of you have said, it could be the age of the doctor which is more important, an old doctor will be less concerned by the modesty of a patient and will more frequently tell you to be naked while a younger one is more concerned and will o tell you to keep your underwear and will slide it only for a very quick time when necessary. It is strange but it is like that, especially for young men doctors.
May be young women doctors are less prudish in my experience.

An other difference is the age of the patient, some of you are recalling their school exams as students.
of course the modesty of male students was not a real issue, at least in the past.
We cannot compare the examination of male adult patients and that of boys or male teenagers, obviously at schools but also in a doctor office.

I have never heard of boys or teenagers being given gowns in school exams or in a doctor's office, except may be girls but I was not in a co-ed school and I have neither sisters or daughters,
so at the annual physicals, we were always instructed to undress in group until underwear or brief in a locker room or a corridor, and for the exam, we were sometimes naked since the start of the exam or we were still undressed into underwear for the beguinning and at the end naked for the check hernia, the visual inspection of genitals, and the palpation of the balls, and only in the last years of high school for a visual inspection of the anus. very embarrassing when it is performed by a women doctor assisted by a fe¨male nurse but common and not unexpected, logical in a certain way.

Author:
Roger
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:53:06 06/21/10 Mon

Michael. In school we always had to strip down to our shorts for a physical. These were usually given at eight o'clock in the morning so the doctor could get to her office on time. In the winter months the floor was very cold and that matched up with her cold stethoscope. Now it always put on a gown. I hate those things. But I think you are correct in saying that a younger physician would have more regard for a patient's modesty than they did years ago. In the past ten years I,ve had only one physical where I just had to put a drape around my waist.

Author:
Reb
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:40:30 08/02/10 Mon

Joe, Physicals in briefs are alive, (and well), here.

I am given a choice of a gown, using the gown as a drape, or my shorts.\

regards Reb

Author:
Dylan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:24:58 05/05/11 Thu

I dont understand what the deal is with gowns... I am 18 and male... I am in my boxers for the eye hieght and weight part but take them off and laydown for everything except I stand up for the hernia exam. It is male on male. I dont understand what the deal is.

Author:
mitri populos
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:41:26 12/12/11 Mon

Unfortunately while I was in elementary public school in Pa. during the early 1950's, annual physicals were the norm. We were not seperated according to sex. It was most humiliating as a male child to have a female doctor pull down your underpants to check your genitals in front of your classmates. We were never given a choice and at that time we didn't have a voice in what was done to us. For years I avoided physical exams except for the obligatory pre college, Selective Services and even with my GP untill my 40's. I resolved the shorts and gown simply by wearing a cotton kimono robe which made me feel respectable and yet permitted the GP to do the exam. Interestingly, after my first physical he advised the office nurse to inform all patients both male and female to bring their personal robes to make themselves feel more comfortable. Needless to say, at certain times of the exam all is visable but I'm never fully nude which makes me more comfortable and the process go smoothly for both of us and makes discussions flow more easily. My GP frankly admitted he felt more comfortable also even though he is male and just 1 year older. We've made this event into a more relaxed medical and social visit rather than a cold clinical process. Personally, a female doctor, no thanks!! This is one occasion when just 2 guys talking about our shared physical condition makes being straight forward easier.

Author:
Reb
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:12:33 04/10/12 Tue

I am given a gown by the nurse and she leaves. I figured it was my decision what, if anything to wear. I wear my briefs and my doctor seems fine with that. When she does the hernia/testicle and prostate checks, I simply drop my drawers. She has been our family doctor for 10 years or so now and it never seemed to bother her. Frankly, until I started reading some of the voyforum posts, I never realized it was an issue. Guess I live in a bubble.

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2012 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.