VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 20:48:23 07/19/17 Wed
Author: River Oaks Reporter
Subject: Synopsis of River Oaks City Council Meeting July 11, 2017

The meeting started on time. Mayor Earwood and Councilman Holland both absent. Newly re-appointed Mayor Pro Tem Joe Ashton chaired the meeting.

The first item on the agenda was a request by Ellen O'barto to waive water bill administrative fees for June on her water bill account. As it turns out, she had already paid the fee and wanted to address the council on how her water was turned off while she was out of town. She had someone house sitting when the water was turned off. She expressed concern about this happening to the sick or elderly. No action was taken.

Council gave 30 more days on the substandard building order for the property at 1202 Banks.

Council took no action for the substandard property at 606 Worthview Drive. Civil penalties are soon to begin.

Council approved giving an 11 day bulldoze notice for the dangerous building located at 617 Oaklawn.

Council approved the recommendation by EDC Director for new appointments for the 2017-2018 EDC Board.

Council approved all other city board appointments as recommended by the mayor.

Council approved changing the fee schedule ordinance regarding credit card convenience fees. They're going to lower it to 3% from it current 5%.

Council approved to institute a police dept program for the voluntary registration by family members of persons afflicted by certain medical conditions. This is so the police dept will have a picture and history of people mental issues and other afflictions so should they become lost or other issues the police will already be informed and have a photo and history to help with the situation.

The next two items that were suppose to be on the agenda was proposed changing of the name of the River Oaks Community Center to River Oaks Event Center and the approval for new frame work for signs and locations throughout our city for advertising events as presented by Shirley Wheat and Shirley Bloomfield. Shirley W. expressed her opinion that the name needed to be changed for advertising purposes. Since they rent out the community center she felt the name change would help attract new rentals and the word community center doesn't sound like a place you could rent for large events. At this point, the discussion took a slightly heated tone by Councilman Scott. He questioned the need for a name change and couldn't support anything without knowing what it would cost. Shirley Wheat stated she hasn't looked up the numbers yet. She is waiting to see if she can get council approval. Scott restated that he wouldn't support this at this time. At this point, apparently Wheat made a face of which Councilman Scott questioned her reasons for rolling her eyes. She stated that she has been bringing this to council for many years and they've always just put it off. At that point, I raised my hand to ask a question. Mayor Pro Tem Ashton pointed for me to go ahead, but I couldn't get in between the Shirley and Scott debate which at one point, he just cut her off and made a motion to deny. Mayor Pro Tem Ashton came back to me and asked what my question was. I asked what does the community center have in their dollar fund since money seems to be the issue. Marvin quickly stated 5000.00. Councilman Scott then questioned Ashton as to how I was being allowed to speak during this meeting. Ashton informed him we allow questions from the public. The motion to deny was seconded and by a 3-1 vote the request was denied. Scott, Butler and Chisholm was for the denial and Ashton was against. The second item for community center signage seemed to be moot since the first one was denied. So the Shirley's just left the building!

Next item was James Myrick's update on Mosquito Surveillance. At that time we had a positive test for West Nile and he was going to schedule spraying. There is also public forum on the mosquito concerns being held at the community center on Thursday, July 20 at 5:30pm.

Next was discussion on scheduling a strategic planning workshop. Several dates were put out. Councilman Scott objected to some of the dates due to they involved budget impacts and Councilman Holland wouldn't be able to attend, Scott wanted to put off the workshop until a date certain that Holland would be back. Mayor Pro Tem Ashton stated we have recordings and notes from these meetings that could be given to Holland and we already have a budget workshop scheduled that he won't be able to make anyway. So it was agreed to tentatively schedule the Strategic Planning meeting on August 5 8:00am.

Next item on the agenda was to discuss the city's representation at this years TML Conference. None of the council members in attendance wanted to go to the TML so it was recommended to offer it to three staff members should they choose to go.

Meeting Adjourned.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.