VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 07:11:50 07/25/17 Tue
Author: Broken Record
Subject: Re: Is it more important to you to have a community gathering place than someone to come to your home in the event of a fire or medical problem???
In reply to: There is your answer as to what this is really about..... 's message, "Is it more important to you to have a community gathering place than someone to come to your home in the event of a fire or medical problem???" on 05:31:04 07/25/17 Tue

Closing the Community Center is only one of the drastic measures the City Council will have to consider. You should have attended the budget workshop last week. You would have heard them say everything has to be considered. This means staffing reductions in other departments, closing of other services such as the library, contracting out garbage service, etc. As I said before, if you cannot provide basic city services you will cease to be a city.

I served on the volunteer fire department many years ago and we had a great group of committed citizens who made sure someone went out any time there was a call. Times have changed. Firefighters can no longer just go help because they want to help. All firefighters must complete hundreds of hours of fire and medical training as well as ongoing re-training. Most people do not have the time to donate to do all of that.

You should talk to the Fire Chief and see his plan and budget for the staffing program. A paid fire department in RO is the only way to solve the response issue for the long term. The Mayor researched contracting FD services to Ft. Worth several years ago and the cost then was 1.5 million per year with incremental increases each year. The proposed cost of a paid department in RO is under 1 million.

Do you not believe a guaranteed response to a citizen in need of fire or medical assistance is a critical city service?

How would you propose the fire department provide a guaranteed response every time someone is in need?

The fire department runs more than 1,000 calls each year. That's an average of three times a day someone needs them. What if no one is there? You wait 7-10 minutes for two guys to show up from Sansom Park.

Most houses in RO will be on the ground if they burn freely for 7-10 minutes. Brain death begins after four minutes without oxygen.

I guess none of that matters as long as my trash and limbs get picked up four times a week.

I guess none of that matters as long as I can go to the Thursday night jam session.

I guess none of that matters as long as I can go sit in the Library and use the WIFI.

The City Council has to make drastic changes because for too long previous elected officials ignored the signs of problems in the VFD and buried their heads in the sand. If that continues to happen, River Oaks will disappear into the wind.

WAKE UP!!!!!

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.