VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: That Chuck Berry album (recorded in bits-and-pieces over several years) will be released in mid-June ....

Author:
Ed Tracey
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Saturday, March 25, 06:53:38pm
In reply to: First one since 1979 's message, "He had an upcoming album coming out" on Saturday, March 25, 11:41:31am

Inside Chuck Berry's First New Album in 38 Years
Friends and family of rock pioneer detail 'Chuck,' comprised of material recorded between 1991 and 2014
By Patrick Doyle, Rolling Stone

With the help of his family, he finished Chuck, his first new album since 1979ís Rock It. (The album is set for release on June 16th, though the estate released first single "Big Boys," featuring Tom Morello and Nathaniel Rateliff, on Wednesday.) Made up of material recorded between 1991 and 2014, the set is full of the music he invented in the Fifties: sped-up blues, double-stringed-guitar breaks and heavy wordplay. "Lady B. Goode" is a sequel to "Johnny B. Goode," and "Jamaica Moon" is a rewrite of "Havana Moon." (In 2001, Berry said he was re-releasing the song because he felt "Havana Moon" wasn't a hit due to "Fidel Castro, the whole communist-Cuba thing.")

But the album is also uncharacteristically reflective for Berry. In a statement last year, he dedicated Chuck to Themetta "Toddy" Berry, his wife of 68 years: "My darlin', I'm growing old! I've worked on this record for a long time. Now I can hang up my shoes!" He sings about her on the rollicking "Wonderful Woman." The gospel-steeped "Darlin'," meanwhile, is a love letter to his daughter Ingrid about what to expect from old age. ("That song brought my mom close to tears," says his son, Charles Berry Jr., who plays guitar on several songs) In "Dutchman," Berry wanders into a bar and tells the patrons his story: "I used to be an artist/Not one who sits and fiddles out on the curb/In my day and time, my music was considered superb."

The rest can be read at:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/inside-chuck-berrys-first-new-album-in-38-years-w472743

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.