VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: I was going to post this.

Author:
At least I can submit the full article.
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Friday, March 31, 11:29:40am
In reply to: Dead at 81 's message, "Ruben Amaro, Sr, Baseball player (Phillies)" on Friday, March 31, 11:25:54am

Link...
http://tinyurl.com/mut2mdp

Ruben Amaro Sr., who played a role in the Phillies greatest successes but was forever haunted by his part in the franchise's most infamous failure, died Friday in a Miami nursing home. He was 81.

Mr. Amaro, whose namesake son became the Phillies general manager in 2009, spent seven decades in the game as a player, coach, scout, instructor and executive. More than 30 of those seasons, including six as a slap-hitting but slick-fielding shortstop, were spent with the Phillies.

"I have a 'P' in the middle of my chest," Mr. Amaro told the Inquirer's Phil Sheridan in 2009. "I touched Richie Ashburn. I played behind Robin Roberts and Jim Bunning. I knew Steve Carlton and Mike Schmidt. Was there at the beginnings of Ryan Howard and Jimmy Rollins. I would very much like to be buried with the Phillies uniform."

A native of Mexico with roots in Cuba, Mr. Amaro was instrumental in helping the Phillies make inroads in Latin America, aiding in the signing of such talents as Julio Franco and Juan Samuel.

But he will be best remembered in Philadelphia as a Gold Glove-winning shortstop on Gene Mauch's ill-fated 1964 Phillies, the team that blew a lead of 6 1/2 games in the last two weeks of the season.

Mr. Amaro, who won the defensive honor that season despite being platooned with Bobby Wine, often told the story of how he had ordered $1,800 worth of World Series tickets.

"When we won it all [in 1980], it was fabulous, extraordinary," he recalled, "but nothing ever is going to make up for our loss in 1964."

His death comes nine days after the passing of Dallas Green, who was his Phillies teammate in the 1960s and later his boss in the organization's farm system. A year after he left Philadelphia for Chicago in 1982, Green imported Mr. Amaro to be the Cubs' third-base coach.

"Ruben is smart, and he's a guy who doesn't miss anything that happens on the baseball field," Green once said.

Mr. Amaro called baseball "the family business." His father, Santos, was a home run-hitting star in Cuban baseball and a member of the sport's Hall of Fame there and in Mexico. His Mexican mother, Josefina, played for that country's women's national team.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
PHOTO of his baseball card of 50 years ago! ...R.I.P.Saturday, April 01, 12:43:19am

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.