VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Yes! I almost mentioned that but thought I had gone on too long as it was.

Author:
Always nice to encounter someone who knows records!
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Saturday, April 01, 02:28:48am
In reply to: GNP Crescendo was distributing the 45... 's message, "In September of 1969..." on Friday, March 31, 11:38:18pm

Yes, there is an earlier-LOOKING pressing with "Blue Dress" on the B side, but it's a 1970's repro. It's the solid pink label with the Indian at the top, but it's a darker pink than the original color, and the label is super-glossy; the print on the label is also slightly larger than it should be, and spaced closer together. It's quite possible that Chattahoochee itself issued this, because the company was actually still in business in the 1990's (last I checked). This pressing often shows up on ebay and in price guides as an "original 1963 pressing," but it is not. "Blue Dress" only appeared on the (GNP) 1968 Chattahoochee, the pink label with orange through the center. New York (1968) pressings were Columbia Records pressings and had larger bold block print on the labels.

While we're on the subject, do you have or have you heard the first pressing of "Popsicles"? This is the solid pink label before they came up with the Indian design, with "Comedy And Tragedy" on the B side. On the very first pressings (possibly trying to emulate Spector?) the sound is upfront but "muddied" and the music (backing) is louder than the girls, actually drowning the lead singer out in spots. They "fixed" this from pressing to pressing as they progressed, until the final 1963 pressing which most people bought ("Huntington Flats" B side), which is crisp and clear but tinny sounding. Almost forgot: on the ("muddied") first pressing, the organ does not abruptly cut off at the end of the song -- it stops naturally and with a slight echo. I don't know why they wound up cutting it off the way they did.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.