VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: one of the reasons for this delay...

Author:
cameron
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Saturday, April 08, 08:15:22pm
In reply to: . 's message, "John Glenn laid to rest today at Arlington National Cemetery" on Thursday, April 06, 12:39:12pm

saw a documentary a few months back that said there are too few buglers available to play "Taps" live at the funerals. This is, apparently, a volunteer task and there are too few buglers for the huge demand. No one seems to want the canned recording that is provided hence part of the reason for the backlog.

One of the first letters I ever wrote, if not the very first, was to John Glenn congratulating him on the mission. I remember being crushed when I got a full-page hand typed reply from the head of mission control instead of Glenn. It took some years before I fully appreciated what I had received. Glenn had been deluged with 80,000 letters and unable to reply (due to his duties) had randomly distributed the letters to the entire NASA staff from top to bottom and it was "pot luck" as to from whom or if you got a reply.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.