VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: She was one of the few BI celebs who was very open about her lifestyle. ...

Author:
The native Texan who was briefly married/divorced twice, later wrote in her 2000 memoirs, of her "gender neutrality".
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 02:17:15am
In reply to: She was 94 's message, "Liz Smith Has Died Finally" on Sunday, November 12, 03:32:04pm

link ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liz_Smith_(journalist)#Personal_life

...Smith married her college sweetheart, World War II bombardier George Edward Beeman, in 1945. She soon left him to enroll at the University of Texas, where her papers and memorabilia are kept in the Dolph Briscoe Center, and they divorced two years later. In 1957, she married Fred Lister, but the couple would divorce in 1962.

Smith acknowledged her bisexuality (or as she referred to it, "gender neutrality") in her memoirs, but in the December 5, 2000 issue of The Advocate, she dug deeper and confided in Editor in Chief Judy Wieder that it was not in her nature to be a role model in the LGBT movement. However, she admitted, "I think that my relationships with women were always much more emotionally satisfying and comfortable [than with men]. And a lot of my relationships with men were more flirtatious and adversarial. I just never felt I was wife material. I always felt that I was a great girlfriend."

...Smith was a good friend of Texas Governor Ann Richards, and helped her to acculturate to New York City society after leaving Texas. Smith was also good friends with Texan pundit and writer Molly Ivins, also a friend of Richards. Smith raised millions of dollars for charities, $6 million for Literacy Partners, millions for AMFAR, the New York Landmarks Conservancy, PAL, and the Mayor's Fund to Advance New York City under Mayor Michael Bloomberg.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.