VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Please, let me explain my point of view.

Author:
Just some thoughts on the man
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Saturday, April 14, 04:41:00pm
In reply to: Peace to you. 's message, "Lol, ok. ...This is where we agree to disagree." on Friday, April 13, 08:41:21pm

It is really easy––and perhaps understandably so––to understate (if not completely neglect) Roger Corman's place in the history of Hollywood and cinema. He's easily neglected because of the dismissive nature of critics when it comes to so-called "B-Movies." Sure, a lot of the stuff that Roger Corman made was silly, created on a shoestring budget, and made so quickly in order to get it in the theaters. Yet even that has intrinsic value to Hollywood, and the point I would make is that so many of those films have had an amazing shelflife over the past six decades, much more so then many of the notable filmmakers of the day, look at it like this; from college campuses independent theaters to YouTube, many of those films still find a wide audience two decades into the 21st-century, simply because they are silly, fun fare. Furthermore, as schlocky as his films were, they never lost money. If anything, his films were quietly quite successful, building up slow burns in limited runs in smaller markets such as drive-in theaters, midnight movie showings, and television syndication.

But he was creating something larger than he could have known during the heyday of his rapid production line work schedules ––he was inventing the genre, while providing a very fertile breeding ground for young talent. Consider some of the names who got their start with Corman: Francis Ford Coppola, Jack Nicholson, Peter Bogdanovich, Monty Hellman, James Cameron, Brian De palma, Martin Scorsese, Jonathan Demme, William Shatner Charles Bronson, Robert De Niro, and so many more. Those are just some of the great names who got their start working with Corman, many of whom emulated his style and called him in to either help out with productions or to cameo; Coppola especially liked to use him for cameos.

I find it funny and interesting that people here like to reference the twilight zone or murder she wrote as being a common thread, for one could do exactly the same with Roger Corman. I think history will be kind to him in the long run.

I met Roger Corman once at a sci-fi convention. Considering the weirdness of his filmography, I was expecting to meet a wild looking weirdo or eccentric like Ed Wood or any number of producers of c cheesy horror movies. I did NOT expect to meet an impeccably dressed man with perfectly slicked back hair, a sharp Armani suit, and an air of class and sophistication that was extremely rare even then, some 35 years ago.

You might not consider him or his films to be important or interesting, and that's okay; you don't have to like everything. But to deny him his proper role in the "Golden age of Hollywood" is very shortsighted.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.