VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Actress Ulla Sallert

Author:
Dies at 95
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Friday, May 11, 07:45:32pm

Translated obituary:

The singer, actor and musical pioneer, Ulla Sallert, has died after a short period of time. She became 95 years old. - She loved her audience and would always convey something, her daughter Thérèse von Lampe told TT.

Sallert was Sweden's perhaps premier musical star in the 1940s and 50's. She played in sets like "Oklahoma", "Annie get your gun", "Pacific" and "Guys and Dolls" - most at the Oscar Theater in Stockholm. The daughter Thérèse von Lampe describes her mother as a pioneer.

"She was the one who took musical to Sweden. She was a very strong person and, until the end, had a very lively spark. She loved standing on stage and singing, she loved her audience and always wanted to convey something and she was always optimistic, she says.

In "My Fair Lady" with the 1959 premiere she played against Jarl Kulle and the set was played 766 times. The Swedish record lasted for thirty years until it was hit by "Phantom of the opera".

Another highlight was when in 1964 she played a major role in the performance of "Ben Franklin in Paris" on Broadway in New York, a role specially written for her.

"She is so far the only Swedish female musical star that has played in a performance on Broadway," says Thérèse von Lampe.

Sallert graduated from the Musical Academy. There she shared scholarship with Birgit Nilsson and planned to become an opera singer, but after her 1943 degree she was attracted more by operetta and musical.

"I was so happy when the musical came. Then I had to sing my own music. I was so tired of all the rolls, she said to Sydsvenskan 2008 before her 85th birthday.

She also had several film roles, and for younger generations she became known as aunt Hulda in "Nils Karlsson Pyssling" from 1990.

Her last stage role she performed in "Me and my girl", which premiered in 1988 and was played in several rounds until 2002. That same year she got the Golden Mask for her life.

Pictured with Hubert Humphrey

https://www.sydsvenskan.se/2018-05-11/musikaldrottningen-ulla-sallert-ar-dod

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Is that a picture of her with Hubert Humphrey? (NT)/Saturday, May 12, 11:15:06am

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.