VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Larry Colburn was the last of the three who stopped the massacre to die (in 2016) .....

Author:
Ed Tracey
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Sunday, May 13, 05:29:10pm
In reply to: Dead at 82 's message, "Ernest Medina, Army Captain acquitted in My Lai massacre" on Sunday, May 13, 04:24:14pm

Glenn Andreotta was kiilled in battle a month after My Lai, and Hugh Thompson died in 2006 - shunned for many years, but belatedly recognized for his bravery years later (along with Colburn).

Three Heroes at My Lai
And the price they paid for trying to stop a massacre

Lucy Steigerwald | Reason Magazine, March 16, 2018
https://reason.com/archives/2018/03/16/three-heroes-at-my-lai

Whether Capt. Ernest Medina directly ordered his men to kill civilians is doubtful, but he certainly let it happen for hours without intervention. This was no short firefight: It was an extended series of rapes and murders. About half the soldiers participated; about half stood aside and refused to actively participate. But hardly anyone tried to help the victims.

The exceptionsŚthe morsels of humanityŚwere three men in a helicopter: Hugh Thompson, 25; Lawrence Coburn, 18; and Glenn Andreotta, 20. Given their aerial view of things, the crew was baffled by the number of bodies they were seeing. None of the dead appeared to be armed, or to be even males of soldier age. Twice the crew landed, marked injured civilians for aid, and returned to find them dead. Colburn said later that Medina was the one who killed a woman they had attempted to help.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.