VoyForums

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Archive: Jon Abnor, July 2, 2008

Author:
Singer
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Monday, July 02, 04:33:06pm

re: JON AND ROBIN:

>>>In addition to Jon and Robin's "Do it Again (Just a Little Bit Slower)", which was big here in OKC, they also had two other records big here in OKC, "I Want Some More" and "You Got Style" from 1967 and 1968 respectively. Jon Abnor had a record in 1963 which made our survey with a song called "You're Losing That Old Feeling", all records being of course on the record label Abnak. In fact, Jon Abnor's record from 1963 was record label number 101. (Larry)

"That Old Feeling" was also Top 20 on KBOX in Dallas, Texas, in September of 1963. Currently on my turntable is another Jon Abnor single, "Mama's Boy" b/w "Maybe Tomorrow", which was actually the very first release on Abnak (#100). I bought it last year on ebay along with a copy of Abnak #103 - "D.J. Record Hop" b/w "Popping Bubble Gum". I have one other Jon Abnor single on Atco, a cover version of Kirby St. Romain's top 60 record "Summer's Comin'", as well.
Interestingly enough, "Mama's Boy" must've gotten enough action somewhere because the record was actually picked up by Mercury records (Mercury #72115), which I only found out about a couple weeks ago while I was on vacation and saw it in a record store in Akron, Ohio. The Globaldogproductions website erroneously lists the artist on that number as Jon Arnor, but the label does say Abnor. I don't care too much for "Mama's Boy", but I really dig the flip side.

As for the other records I have by him, "D.J. Record Hop" is OK (it's flipside is also decent) while "Summer's Comin'" is nowhere near as good as the Kirby St. Romain original.

Now for what could be some potential sad news ...

I decided to do some digging on the internet to try to find some current info on Jon Abnor, as I knew he had been imprisoned in the 80's for manslaughter (I had read online years ago that it was involuntary vehicular manslaughter; however, it appears that it was preplanned, as the victim was Janis Ballew, a nurse he had become involved with while he was reportedly in the Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas, and was apparently living with at the time of her death, and that he killed her inside his home).

I saw mentions on some websites (without any proof, btw) that he had been paroled in the 90's and living with his father in Dallas (however according to http://tx.findacase.com/research/wfrmDocViewer.aspx/xq/fac.19860611_0041075.TX.htm/qx,

he was serving a life sentence in Texas, and I have not been able to see any documentation of parole, etc, unless I'm just not reading this right -- and I couldn't locate any other court documents without paying a huge fee for them). His father died in 1999 and his mother died in 2004 (she worked for the insurance company that her husband founded up until 2000 -- it was with the money he made through this company that he founded Abnak records -- he sold all of the masters from that label to Sundazed in the late 90's).

In his mother's obituary (which I had to spend $3 to purchase so I could read the whole thing) John Howard Abdnor, Jr. is listed as living in Duncan, Oklahoma, (which obviously means he was no longer serving a life sentence in Texas). Fast forward to 2010 when his sister Gail Aleman passed away, and there's a mention that she was preceded in death by her brother John.

I saw that and shouted "WHAT?!?" at my computer screen. After about two hours of internet searching, I found NO obituary listings for John Abdnor in either Texas or Oklahoma, an Intelius search shows that there is a 70 year old John H Abdnor in Duncan, OK, (yeah, but it still thinks John Sr. is still living in Dallas, too, so I can't trust it). A search of the Social Security Death Index showed one John H Abdnor born on May 1, 1940 as passing away on July 2nd 2008 in Dallas (yet I could find no obituaries for him in Dallas around this time either). For what it's worth, John Abdnor Jr's parents married March 26, 1939, so that could very well be him.

Since Forgotten Hits is all about finding out the truth, it's time to get all of the facts straight once and for all on this guy and his past ... maybe one of your readers would know the full scoop on Jon Abnor AKA John Howard Abdnor, Jr., as I'd really love to know what the heck happened to him in regards to his murder conviction, incarceration, and anything that happened to him after that. Some people who have posted on youtube have alleged to be relatives of Jon (including one who makes comments that seem as if Jon really is deceased) ... however attempts to contact them have not gotten me any replies. Either way, he made some good and some bad music back in the 60's. Perhaps Larry could find out, being that Oklahoma City is only about 90 miles away from Duncan.

Tom Diehl

Wow! That's a LOT of information there ... but there are some "investigators" on our list who might rise up to this challenge ... so let's give it a spin and see what comes back! Thanks, Tom!

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
"Do It Again A Little Bit Slower"Jon & Robin & The In CrowdMonday, July 02, 04:34:33pm

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.