VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Actress, Dancer & Choreographer, Miriam Franklin Nelson, dies at 98

Author:
Once wife of Gene Nelson
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Monday, August 13, 10:31:31am

http://www.facebook.com/groups/326199295430/permalink/10160586089360431/
From the Facebook Page "Rusty's Tap Dance Fan Club"

"RIP Miriam Nelson 1919-2018

Our dear Miriam Nelson passed away this morning at 1:30am💗 with her son Chris at her side...she brought joy to so many over the years through her incredible life...
Now the angels have a new choreographer!

When I first met Miriam in 1988, I could see she was a unique force to behold. Our friendship grew and grew over the years. We traveled the world together performing and teaching tap, but more importantly she taught me how to live a good life.

She used to kid I was, not only her dance partner, but, at various times, her sister, daughter, mother, agent, manager, and best friend. For me, she was inspiration, mentor, shining light of positivity, and most cherished friend.

Her life lessons will live on in me as I know they will in all her were lucky enough to cross her path.

During the past two days, Miriam’s room was filled with loving friends from decades of her life. It was like her legendary Christmas parties with everyone sharing their own Miriam stories. We were all in shock how quickly Miriam was leaving us, but none of us could deny she had a good long run.

Thank you, Miriam, for everything you taught me, all the giggles and laughs we shared, alll the dancing, all the stories, sharing all your wonderful friends, but most importantly for being my mother, daughter, sister, mentor, friend...

FOR THOSE WHO NEVER MET HER...
A BIT ABOUT MIRIAM'S PROFESSIONAL LIFE:

What a charmed life she led. She appeared on Broadway in six shows, including PANAMA HATTIE, LET'S FACE IT, and YOKEL BOY. She was the choreographer to the stars. She worked with everybody: Fred Astaire, Groucho Marx, Dean Martin, Preston Sturges (she's in HAIL THE CONQUERING HERO), Billy Wilder (she's in DOUBLE INDEMNITY), and so many more.. She dubbed the taps for Hope and Crosby on some of the Road pictures. She choreographed the sexy dance scene in PICNIC (William Holden and Kim Novak), and she choreographed the opening day of Disneyland. She is a party guest in BREAKFAST AT TIFFANYS. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. In 1953, Miriam became one of the founding members of the non-profit organization SHARE (one her proudest achievements). To this day, SHARE continuously strives to "SHARE happily and reap endlessly!" in their work for children's charities (For more information on SHARE, visit www.share4children.org). She was also a long time board member of The Professional Dancers Society, which raises funds for dancers in need.

When she was young, she wanted to BE Eleanor Powell, and though she never became a star in the movies, she was most proud of this dance number which she and Johnny Coy choreographed and starred in. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2wnc1182rA

She never became Eleanor Powell, but she was ALWAYS the great Miriam Nelson!
Thankfully, she wrote her life story in her delightful book, MY LIFE DANCING WITH THE STARS
And for those who never heard her stories, or for those who would like to visit them again... just open the cover...she's there waiting for you"

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
ImdbLinkMonday, August 13, 11:44:47am
More infoLinkTuesday, August 14, 12:39:52am
Miriam Nelson, Golden Age Dancer and Choreographer, choreographed pivotal scenes in the films “The Apartment,” “Breakfast at Tiffany's” and “Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice,” and she also conceived the dance moves for Judy Garland's first TV special, two Academy Awards telecasts and episodes of “The Red Skelton Hour,” “The Lucy Show” and “The Bob Hope Show”, dies at 98. ...L.A.TimesWednesday, September 26, 11:23:08pm

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.