VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Actor Al Matthews

Author:
Dies at 75
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Monday, September 24, 05:51:59am

Aliens actor Al Matthews dies aged 75

The Independent
September 24, 2018

Al Matthews, best known for playing Gunnery Sergeant Apone in Aliens (1986), has died aged 75.

El Pais reports that the actor was found dead in his home, in Orihuela Costa, in the Spanish Mediterranean province of Alicante, on Sunday, after a neighbour called the emergency services.

Born in Brooklyn in 1942, Matthews had served as a Marine in the Vietnam War. His website states: "I hold thirteen combat awards and decorations, including two purple hearts. I was the first black Marine in the 1st Marine Division in Vietnam to be meritoriously promoted to the rank of sergeant".

Alongside his role in Aliens, Matthews also played the fire chief in Superman III (1983), a workman in Omen III: The Final Conflict (1981), and General Tudor in The Fifth Element (1997). He returned to the role of Sgt Apone nearly 30 years later, when he voiced the character in the video game Aliens: Colonial Marines (2013).

He also had a strong career in the UK, where he appeared on Grange Hill as the father of Benny Green and had his song "Fool" reach number 16 in the UK Singles Chart in 1975. He retired in Spain in 2005, although his last film was this year's The Price of Death, which is currently in post-production.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/al-matthews-dead-age-aliens-grande-hill-death-a8552286.html

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
IMDb-Monday, September 24, 05:52:55am
If you go to his website you get a weird message that says: "The purpose of this site is to inform my friends and fans that I AM NOT DEAD despite the rumors you hear on the Internet." (NT)But looks like he is indeed dead now.Monday, September 24, 06:37:19am

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.