VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Edward & Estela O' Brien, Parents of journalist Soledad O’Brien

Author:
Died little more than a month apart
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 04:07:55pm

http://www.legacy.com/news/celebrity-deaths/notable-deaths/article/estela-obrien-2019-soledad-obriens-mother

Notable Deaths

Estela O’Brien (2019), Soledad O’Brien’s mother

Soledad wrote a touching tribute to her mom

By: Kirk Fox

Estela O’Brien was the mother of television journalist Soledad O’Brien. She passed away just 40 days after Soledad’s father. Soledad shared details of her mother’s life in a touching Instagram post. Estela was an immigrant from a poor Cuban family who left Fidel Castro’s regime to come to America for an education. She attended college and married O’Brien’s father, an interracial marriage at a time when it was still illegal. She became a teacher who taught at the high school that Soledad attended. Estela and her husband put all six of their children through college. Soledad called her mom “a pretty remarkable lady.”

We invite you to share condolences for Estela O’Brien in our Guest Book.

Died: Monday, March 18, 2019.

Highlights of Soledad’s tribute to her mother: “My mom died today. Joining my dad who passed away 40 days ago. She was a pretty remarkable lady. An immigrant from Cuba, she lived with the Oblate Sisters of Providence in Baltimore during college.”

“She’d go on to marry my dad (mixed race marriages were illegal in Maryland in 1959). The year their sixth child was born the U.S. Supreme Court would overturn the ban on interracial marriage.”

“She learned two languages fluently – English and French, and became an educator. She had a reputation for being super-strict, which made me very popular (not!) since she taught at my high school.”

https://people.com/tv/soledad-obrien-mom-dies/

People.com TV

Soledad O'Brien Shares Touching Tribute After Losing Her Mom Just 40 Days After Her Dad's Death

Soledad O'Brien's mother Estela was an immigrant from Cuba who fought for equal rights

By Aurelie Corinthios

March 19, 2019 11:35 AM

Soledad O’Brien’s mother, Estela, has died, the broadcast journalist announced on social media Monday. Her death comes 40 days after O’Brien lost her father, Edward.

O’Brien honored her mom with several tributes on Instagram, calling her “a pretty remarkable lady.”

“An immigrant from Cuba, she lived with the Oblate Sisters of Providence in Baltimore during college,” O’Brien said, referencing the Catholic religious institute for women of color.

O’Brien said her mother was “always sad” about leaving Cuba but “hated” how former leader Fidel Castro “destroyed” the country: “She went back once to visit — and said — I’ll never go back again.”

O’Brien recalled how her mother, who came from a poor Cuban family, sought an education in the United States, where she went on to marry O’Brien’s father at a time when mixed race marriages were still illegal.

“The year their sixth child (my little brother) was born the U.S. Supreme Court would overturn the ban on interracial marriage,” O’Brien wrote alongside a photo of herself as a baby alongside her

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.