VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: L.A.Times Obit ...

Author:
Link w/PHOTOS
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Thursday, March 21, 01:49:03am
In reply to: Dies at 92 's message, "Tom Hatten, TV personality, reporter, actor" on Saturday, March 16, 07:55:24pm

TV host Tom Hatten, who kept generations of L.A. kids company, dies at 92. …
Tom Hatten / By Times staff writer
Mar 19, 2019

Tom Hatten, the longtime Los Angeles television personality who kept generation of kids — and adults — company as host of the “KTLA Family Film Festival,” has died. He was 92.
Hatten was a fixture of local TV since the 1950s, mostly at KTLA Channel 5. His death was confirmed by Pete Menefee, Hatten’s longtime partner.

...He worked as an actor in small parts on TV and movies but was best known as host of KTLA’s “Popeye and his Friends” show and the family film series, which ran until 1992. He also served as entertainment correspondent at KNX news radio for many years.

"I don't mind having fun in small parts, or doing a kids' show," Hatten told The Times in 1991. "I don't mind doing what I'm doing as long as I'm in the business."

Hatten became beloved by children as the doodling, uniformed host of KTLA's "Popeye and His Friends" daily children's show in early '60s and again in the late '70s. One such fan, director Jon Landis, recounted his own unsuccessful efforts as a 10-year-old to get his own kiddie puppet show on "Popeye" when he offered Hatten a part in his movie "Spies Like Us.” …

A native of South Dakota who later moved to Idaho, Hatten joined the Navy just before the close of World War II and attended the Pasadena Playhouse School of the Theatre on the GI Bill, graduating cum laude in 1950. An evaluation by a playhouse director, which Hatten quotes from memory, proved prescient: "Tom is a good, good 'type.' He'll make a wonderful 'second man.' "

Hatten said in the 1991 interview that one of his goals with the
film festival was to get new generations interested in old Hollywood. …
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfI5BWu5ye4

"I try to do the stuff that I think that people who like old films want to know," he said. "Who the character man in the background is that they've seen in a hundred movies."
Hatten is survived by Menefee, his partner of 50 years.

RIP …

Link …
https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-tom-hatten-obit-20190317-story.html

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Wow, another old actor closeted for decades from his fans. "...Hatten is survived by Pete Menefee, his partner of 50 years." ...PHOTOThursday, March 21, 01:57:17am

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.