VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: His Darwin moment harkens back to another popular American singer, who went out almost the same way 75 years ago -the tragic, senseless death of crooner Russ Columbo. ...

Author:
Backstory
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Friday, March 22, 02:09:22am
In reply to: He was 35 's message, "Country singer Justin Carter dead after accidental shooting" on Thursday, March 21, 01:04:27pm

Russ Columbo
[ Ruggiero Eugenio di Rodolfo Colombo ]
(January 14, 1908 – September 2, 1934)

Known as Russ Columbo, was an American baritone, songwriter, violinist and actor. He is famous for romantic ballads such as his signature tune "You Call It Madness, But I Call It Love" and his own compositions "Prisoner of Love" and "Too Beautiful For Words."

Death …
...On Sunday, September 2, 1934, Columbo was shot under peculiar circumstances by his longtime friend, photographer Lansing Brown, while Columbo was visiting him at home. Brown had a collection of firearms and the two men were examining various pieces. Quoting Brown's description of the accident:

"I was absent-mindedly fooling around with one of the guns. It was of a dueling design and works with a cap and trigger.
I was pulling back the trigger and clicking it time after time. I had a match in my hand and when I clicked, apparently
the match caught in between the hammer and the firing pin. There was an explosion. Russ slid to the side of his chair."

The ball ricocheted off a nearby table and hit Columbo above the left eye. Surgeons at Good Samaritan Hospital made an unsuccessful attempt to remove the ball from Columbo's brain; he died less than six hours after the shooting. Columbo's death was ruled an accident, and Brown exonerated from blame. His funeral mass was attended by numerous Hollywood luminaries, including Bing Crosby and Carole Lombard, who was to have had dinner with Columbo the evening of the accident and who was romantically involved with him. …

Columbo's mother was hospitalized in serious condition from a heart attack at the time of the accident; the news was withheld from her by his brothers and sisters for the remaining ten years of her life. Due to her previous heart condition, it was feared that the news would prove fatal to her (she died in 1944). They used all manner of subterfuges to give the impression that Columbo was still alive, including faked letters from him and records used to simulate his radio program.

Actress Virginia Brissac was serving as Columbo's private secretary at the time of his death, and was later called
upon by the Los Angeles County Coroner's Office to testify and identify Columbo’s remains at the subsequent inquest.

Columbo is interred in Forest Lawn Memorial Park in Glendale, Ca. ...

Links …
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russ_Columbo#Death
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/219

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
No, that was 85 years ago! (NT)So sad/tragic his early death that his family could never tell his mother, so they carried on charade of his existence until her death a decade later.Friday, March 22, 03:37:29pm

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.