VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Former Boston Red Sox Player Bill Buckner

Author:
Dies at 69
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Monday, May 27, 11:13:15am

Bill Buckner, a former MLB All-Star who played for five teams over his 22-year career, has passed away at the age of 69. His wife Jody broke the news to Jeremy Schaap, who posted the following statement.

Just got off the phone with Jody Buckner, who called to me that her husband, the great Bill Buckner, one of the finest men I've known, died this morning. She wanted to share this statement: "After battling the disease of Lewy Body Dementia, (cont.)

Bill Buckner passed away early the morning of May 27th surrounded by his family. Bill fought with courage and grit as he did all things in life. Our hearts are broken but we are at peace knowing he is in the arms of his Lord and Savior Jesus Christ."
Bill was 69.

Buckner is most well known for an error in the bottom of the ninth inning of the 1986 World Series, which gave the Mets an improbable win in Game 6. But he was much more than that during his successful career.

The 1980 batting champion had 2,715 hits in his career and was a career .289 batter. He played for the Dodgers, Cubs, Red Sox, Angels and Royals during his career.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Only played for the Red Sox for only 4 of his 22 seasons, but is probably best known for his World Series error while with the Red Sox. Also played for the Cubs, Royals, Dodgers and Angels. (NT)RussMonday, May 27, 11:17:17am
Sorry for not including a link, but for some reason I can't post one with my phone. (NT)All link addresses have a lock next to them and can't be copied.Monday, May 27, 11:17:40am
Former MLB player Buckner died on the same day that (NT)former MLB players Frank Thomas and Jeff Bagwell both turned 51Monday, May 27, 12:09:32pm
An quite unfair fate was placed upon him .....Ed TraceyMonday, May 27, 12:17:43pm
Sorry it really annoys me that all of the obit headlines call him a "Red Sox" icon or legend. He played 7 seasons for the Cubs winning a batting title, and 8 for the Dodgers. How do the Red Sox own him at 3+ seasons?RussTuesday, May 28, 03:45:53am

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.