VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Clay McMurray, Motown Records producer and songwriter

Author:
Dead at 66
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Thursday, September 12, 06:46:15pm

b. Clay McMurray, 4th July 1953, Detroit, Michigan, U.S.A.

d. 6th September 2019, U.S.A.

The Motown Records producer and songwriter, Clay McMurray, has died. He was 66.

Clay came to peoples attention in 1967 when he teamed with local singer Spyder Turner to record his version of Ben E. King’s ‘Stand By Me’.

The song became a smash hit and Spyder’s signature song.

Clay also worked in promotions for Arc-Jay-Kay Distributing Co. in Detroit.

Hired by Motown’s quality control department three years later, his job was to listen to every song that the label recorded.

Clay worked with Gladys Knight And The Pips to produce their first hit single. ‘If I Were Your Woman’, which he co-wrote with LaVerne Ware and Pam Sawyer.

Clay’s production credits from the early-to-mid-‘70s also include The Four Tops’ ‘You Gotta Have Love In Your Heart’, Prime Cut’s ‘Message To The Ghetto’, Danny Cox’s ‘You Can’t Hold Me Back’, Karen Pree’s ‘Make Love Last Forever’, Gladys Knight & The Pips’ ‘If I Were Your Woman’ and Jimmy Ruffin’s ‘Give You All The Love I’ve Got’.

In addition to his production and song-writing work, Clay founded the publishing company Red Cap Music, and was heavily involved in the Detroit soul label Red Cap Records.

He also collaborated with Rose Royce, The Four Tops, Undisputed Truth, The Supremes and The Temptations, amongst others.

Clay worked with Motown producer Norman Whitfield on the movie soundtrack for ‘Car Wash’.

The MCA Records album went platinum.

Clay was married to the artist, Karen Pree, with whom he produced one album in 1977.

In 1977, they started their own record production company, Love 'n Comfort Entertainment Corporation, and music publishing companies Claka Music and Farrah Music.

Clay was inducted into the R&B Music Hall of Fame in 2018.

http://www.soulwalking.co.uk/Respect.html

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
"If I Were Your Woman"- Gladys Knight & The PipsCo- written by Clay McMurrayThursday, September 12, 06:48:02pm

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.