VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: OT: America's OLDEST military veteran supercentarian Lawrence Brooks celebrates his 110th birthday (born September 12, 1909) in grand style. ...

Author:
VIDEO
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Monday, September 16, 11:07:40am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Atyf4feLna8

America’s Oldest World War II Vet Celebrates
His 110th Birthday with Party in New Orleans;
“I don’t know why I’ve lived this long. But I think
it has a lot to do with always being nice to people.”

SOUTHERN LIVING By Meghan Overdeep
September 14, 2019

Lawrence Brooks is no stranger to birthday parties, but the bash The National WWII Museum threw for his 110th birthday on Thursday might have topped them all.

The oldest living American veteran of World War II, Brooks has been celebrating his birthdays at the New Orleans museum since 2014.

This year, New Orleans residents, museum guests, veterans, and service members attended the annual celebration at the museum’s Louisiana Memorial Pavilion. Festivities included a ceremony, birthday cupcakes, and a performance by the museum’s vocal trio, The Victory Belles. The ladies serenaded Brooks and his guests with patriotic classics and even gave the man of honor a few well-deserved kisses—his favorite part.

“We absolutely love Mr. Brooks,” museum vice president Peter Crean told NOLA.com. “We’ve told him, ‘As long as you keep having birthdays, we are going to keep having birthday parties for you here.’ We consider him ‘our veteran.’”

Born in Norwood, Louisiana, on September 12, 1909, Brooks served in the predominantly African-American 91st Engineer Battalion, which was stationed in New Guinea and then the Philippines during World War II. According to the museum, he was a servant to three white officers in his battalion and attained the rank of Private 1st Class during the war.

"They just sort of took a liking to me", he told NOLA.com. “They treated me like a soldier and not their servant.”

Brooks became the oldest living American veteran of World War II in December, when Richard Overton, of Austin, Texas, died at age 112. Around the same time, he broke his hip and started using a walker. The only older living veteran of the war is 113-year-old Gustav Gerneth, of Germany.

“I don’t know why I’ve lived this long,” Brooks told NOLA.com. “But I think it has a lot to do with always being nice to people.”

He theorizes that living with his daughter Vanessa instead of in a nursing home has a lot to do with it though.

“I’ve started to think about not having many birthdays left,” he continued. “But I’m not worried about it, because God has let me live this long already.”

“I think it’s because I’ve always liked people so much. Oh yes, I do.”

Happy birthday, Mr. Lawrence and thank you for your service!

Link …
https://www.southernliving.com/news/americas-oldest-wwii-vet-lawrence-brooks-110-birthday

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
It's amazing how often these "oldest Americans" are black (NT).Monday, September 16, 11:46:47am

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.