VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: It was his father J.I. Rodale, founder of Rodale Press Publications who while appearing on TV's "Dick Cavett Show" in 1971, espousing the virtues of organic living declaring, "I'm so healthy that I expect to live on and on...I never felt better in my life!...I've decided to live to be a hundred", suddenly and quietly closed his eyes, and died. ...

Author:
He infamously became the FIRST person to die onstage from natural causes during the taping of a television show (which never aired).
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Friday, September 20, 04:26:55am
In reply to: Bio & PHOTOS 's message, "ARCHIVE: September 20, 1990 ~Robert David Rodale, noted advocate of organic farming, regenerative agriculture, and gardening, and publisher of Rodale Press focusing on health and wellness lifestyle magazines and books, is killed at 70, in auto accident in Russia ..." on Friday, September 20, 04:05:18am

Details of his end
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._I._Rodale#Death

...J. I. Rodale died of a heart attack at the age of 72, while participating as a guest on an early-evening taping of The Dick Cavett Show slated to be aired that same night, Tuesday, June 8, 1971. Rodale was still on stage, having finished his interview, and was seated on a couch next to the active interviewee, New York Post columnist Pete Hamill. Rodale had stated during his just-completed interview on the show, "I'm in such good health that I fell down a long flight of stairs yesterday and I laughed all the way", "I've decided to live to be a hundred", and "I never felt better in my life!" He had also previously said, "I'm going to live to be 100, unless I'm run down by some sugar-crazed taxi driver."

According to Dick Cavett, Hamill noticed something was wrong with Rodale, leaned over to Cavett, and said, "This looks bad." According to others, Cavett asked, "Are we boring you, Mr. Rodale?" Cavett himself said that he "emphatically" did not recall saying this, but one of the two physicians in the audience did remember this. The physicians (an internist and orthopedic surgeon, both in residency) rushed onto the stage to try to revive Rodale with cardiopulmonary resuscitation, including mouth-to-mouth resuscitation. (During an appearance on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson that originally aired on February 5, 1982, Cavett stated "firefighters from across the street" also attended the patient.) Although an electrocardiogram continued to show cardiac activity, they were unsuccessful; Rodale was pronounced dead on arrival at Roosevelt Hospital. The episode was never broadcast, although Cavett has described the story in public appearances and on his blog.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.