VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: ARCHIVE: October 8, 1979 ~It was 40 years ago, Hollywood lost character actress Emmaline Henry, known for her TV roles throughout the 1960s/70s, but best remembered as Emmaline Henry 'Amanda Bellows', wife of 'Dr. Alfred Bellows' on TV's "I Dream of Jeannie" sadly dies after brain cancer diagnoses, at age 50.

Author:
Bio & PHOTOS
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Tuesday, October 08, 12:52:38pm

American actress best known for playing Amanda Bellows, the wife of
Dr. Alfred Bellows, on the hit 1960s situation comedy I Dream of Jeannie. ...

Emmaline Henry
(November 1, 1928 October 8, 1979)

Career
I Dream of Jeannie creator Sidney Sheldon mentioned in an interview that Henry
was a good actress who was very easy to work with. She first appeared on Jeannie
during the first season playing a different character named "Myrt". She made her
first appearance as Amanda Bellows during the second season.

...Henry began her career as a singer, appearing on local radio in her teens. She went to Hollywood in the early 1950s and found her way into the choruses of several musicals. Producers began noticing, however, that her comic skills were superior to her singing. She toured in musicals like Top Banana, and later appeared in the film version of the show. She succeeded Carol Channing in the play Gentlemen Prefer Blondes.

...Henry made her television debut in a 1955 episode of the ZIV production, I Led Three Lives. This was followed by appearances in another ZIV TV show, Highway Patrol. She appeared on The Red Skelton Show in 1961 and, subsequently, made guest appearances on various sitcoms, including The Farmer's Daughter, The Munsters and Petticoat Junction. Her first starring role was as John Astin's wife in I'm Dickens, He's Fenster. In 1964-65, she appeared as Mickey Rooney's wife, Nora, in the short-lived sitcom Mickey. Henry had a guest appearance on Bonanza (1969).

"I Dream of Jeannie" creator Sidney Sheldon mentioned in an interview that Emmaline Henry
was a good actress who was easy to work with. Soon after, a casting director brought her in to audition
and to meet with him. Sheldon tested her and based on the screen test, and got the part of Mrs. Bellows. ...

...She was cast of TV's "I Dream of Jeannie" (1965) in the second season as Dr. Bellows' wife, Amanda Bellows.
Prior to joining the cast as a regular, she appeared in the first season episode "Is There an Extra Jeannie in
the House?" (1966) as magician's assistant "Myrt", whom Capt. Roger Healey mistook for Jeannie's cousin.
Following the cancellation of I Dream of Jeannie in 1970, Henry guest-starred on other sitcoms, including Love,
American Style, The Bob Newhart Show, and in the dramatic television mini-series Backstairs at the White House.

She also made feature film appearances in Divorce American Style (1967),
"Harrad Summer" (1974), and "Rosemary's Baby" (1968) as'Elise Dunstan'.

...In 1979, she was reportedly scheduled to become a regular cast member on Three's Company
after having appeared in the recurring role of Chrissy's boss, J.C. Braddock.
Her final appearance was on an episode of Eight Is Enough which aired just
a few weeks before her death in October 1979.

Death
Emmaline Henry died of a brain tumor on October 8, 1979, at the age of 50.
Though she played caring wives and helpmates, she never married in real life.
She was interred at the Holy Cross Cemetery in Culver City, California.

Links
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0377819/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmaline_Henry
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/6486130/emmaline-henry

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
I remember Henry as Debbie Reynolds best friend in 1967 dramedy "Divorce American Style", also starring Dick Van Dyke. (NT)Real UNsung film.Wednesday, October 09, 02:45:33am

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.