VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Archive: David Canary, Nov. 16, 2015

Author:
Actor
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Saturday, November 16, 04:50:15pm

David Canary, a soap opera actor best known for his role as twin brothers on “All My Children” for nearly three decades, died Nov. 16 at his home in Wilton, Conn. He was 77.

A spokesman for Bouton Funeral Home in Wilton confirmed the death but did not cite a cause.

Mr. Canary’s career spanned more than five decades and included appearances in movies such as “Hombre,” a western starring Paul Newman, and “The St. Valentine’s Day Massacre” (both 1967) with Jason Robards. He also had recurring roles on series such as “Peyton Place” and “Bonanza.”

In 1983, he joined the cast of “All My Children” as twins Adam and Stuart Chandler. Playing the brothers — one evil and the other good-hearted — brought Mr. Canary five Daytime Emmy Awards.

Despite his popularity on the show, Mr. Canary shunned the spotlight and preferred to live quietly with his wife and family.

David Canary and Susan Lucci during their marriage in an episode of the television show “All My Children” in 1984. (ABC Photo Archives/AP)

“At the risk of being misunderstood, I’m a real private person,” he told the Associated Press in 1993. “I don’t make appearances. I don’t do fan magazine interviews. My wife and our two children live in a little town in Connecticut, where most of the people don’t watch the show and, if they do, don’t make a big deal out of it.”

The actor was at first reluctant to take a role on a daytime soap opera. But after getting a chance to play a madman on “The Doctors,” Mr. Canary spent two years on the soap “Another World.”

Then came the opportunity to join “All My Children.” He remained on the show until 2011.

In addition to onscreen roles, Mr. Canary also performed on the stage, appearing in on and off-Broadway productions, according to an obituary published in the Wilton Bulletin.

David Hoyt Canary was born in Elwood, Ind., on Aug. 25, 1938. He grew up in Massillon, Ohio, and went on to play football at the University of Cincinnati, where he graduated in 1960 with a major in music.

His first marriage, to Julie Anderson, ended in divorce. In 1982, he married Maureen Maloney. A complete list of survivors could not be immediately confirmed.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.