VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]
Subject: Michael J. Pollard, Oscar Nominee for "Bonnie & Clyde"

Author:
Dead at 80
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Friday, November 22, 03:06:44am

From "Vintage Los Angeles" Facebook Page"

http://www.facebook.com/VintageLosAngeles/posts/2677870328936336

I’ve just heard some sad news. I’ve been told we’ve lost character actor, MICHAEL J POLLARD. It was a pleasure getting to know Mike after my interview with him at the Million Dollar Theatre back in 2015. I had organized a screening of “Bonnie & Clyde” and although Mike seemed rather shy on that stage, you couldn’t keep your eyes off him.

We got to know each other after that. He was quite a character without knowing it. He walked EVERYWHERE and never repeated his stories because he had so many. The only thing he repeated was his love for Turner Classic Movies. And you could never call him after 7:30 because he’d be watching Jeopardy. We would have lunch at the La Brea Bakery and I would just sit and listen to his encounters with Marilyn Monroe, Warren Beatty, Janis Joplin, Oliver Reed, Sharon Tate, Robert Redford, and his accounts from his remarkable career in countless memorable TV shows and movies.

One night at Musso's, Mike and I recited GOODFELLAS line for line. He lived life on his terms. A gentle rebel. A wild pony. A timid squirrel in the park. That was Michael. I'll miss the calls on his flip phone and that cute little laugh.

This was that interview I conducted with Michael the night I met him. It was one of the more bizarre interviews I’ve done. I’d expect nothing less from Michael. Farewell my friend. You were an original.

(And here’s some interesting trivia. Mike helped Steve Winwood come up with the name “Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys” for the album and song. And the “J" in Michael J. Fox was in honor of Mr. Pollard.

There is no official obit online as of yet. But his dear friend Kevin Kelly posted this about 19 hours ago.....
 “I’m shaking my head. My friend MICHAEL passed away. (The actor, “Michael J. Pollard”) I thought he’d get better after he was hospitalized. i'm so sick, so sad. I’d just talked to him on the phone the other night. I made him laugh. He made me laugh. He was a real pal. A little fella, yeah, but not one to be messed with. He had a quick left hook right outta Newark, NJ. A most interesting actor of great charm. Worked with Bridgette Bardot. Told me he fell in love with her. Always found amusement and wonder in the moment, always found himself at the center of the universe- alive, spontaneous, free. His genius, was his alone. That’s why you couldn’t take your eyes offa him. He was his own kind of character. He couldnt help but steal the scene (usually without saying a word). When we walked around town, he’d always stop at a Catholic Church and if it was open he’d go inside to light a candle and say a prayer for the departed, make the sign of the cross, bow, and make an attempt at genuflecting. He was a light that shined down on us in his time. I don’t know what song Dylan is singing for you tonight Mike but tonight it’s your song, buddy. I love you, Mike, and I’ll always miss ya and I’ll always think the world of you. Good night”

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Michael J. Fox said he added the "J" because of Pollard (NT)Real name Michael Andrew FoxFriday, November 22, 04:37:28am
Wikipedia page not updated yet, no credible news sources reporting it yet. (NT).Friday, November 22, 05:59:09am
I hope his official death notice goes better than his ex-wife Beth Howland. I think it was six months until the papers reported her death. (NT).Friday, November 22, 08:49:03am
New York Post obit.Friday, November 22, 10:25:26am
Pollard died Nov. 20Washington Post obitFriday, November 22, 01:24:33pm
Interesting--I can't think of a film that had 52 years from production before one of its main cast members died--he's the first of the Barrow Gang to fall. (NT)i'm aware of Dub Taylor & Denver Pyle- just talking about the gangFriday, November 22, 03:28:25pm

Login ] Create Account Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.